VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My Brilliant Timeline

99K views 346 replies 42 participants last post by  xdewaynex 
#1 ·
I'm getting tired of making all kinds of threads for my car, so I figured piling them all into one thread would be better. I own a 98.5 Audi A4, 1.8T 5spd Quattro, Brilliant Yellow, Winter and Sport package. I traded a fully bagged 98 S10 for it, back on Memorial Day weekend 2009.

When I first got it, it had aftermarket Ebay projector headlights, cheap fog lights, fartcan muffler and a spoiler.

Late summer, early Fall of 09, I debadged the trunk link, removed the spoiler, and bought a set of S4 projectors (still have to trim more of the fenders to make them fit 100%) Also done a complete timing belt change in the driveway in 15hrs (first time attempting to do something so tedious)

March 2010, I bought a set of 17" MK5 Goals from a friend of mines Rabbit. Had bought a bike rack right before, so I could haul my bmx around.

See less See more
#38 ·
Im running NGK Iridiums. I re-gapped them to .026 earlier and still doing the same thing. I can be in 5th gear, get it up to 10psi, let of and the car bucks. Does this a bit going from 3rd-4th and 4th-5th.

C2 claims 280bhp on the AEM 1.8T with their Stage 5, 42lb injector file, with a 3" maf housing, 3bar fpr and stock K04.

#39 · (Edited)
What heat range though? I'm about to throw in some colder plugs because I'm using stock BKR6E's and I'm wondering if that's causing my issue at high rpm's.

Well no luck on my plug change. Put in BKR7E's and still have the mis-fire.

#40 ·
Got my car scanned today, done a few runs. No misfire or anything, other than my car is running a bit rich, -11.XX but nothing major. Even unplugged the MAF just to see if it was bad. Replaced the Iridiums with BKR7E's gapped at .028 and its still doing the same. Friend said it seems to be going into a Limp Mode style, even though the AEB's dont have it.

#41 ·
Went to C2 yesterday and had the car looked over. Took a few runs, with and without the n75. Car was getting so much boost, the n75 wasnt reacting right, over boosting and causing the fuel to cut out. Re tuned the computer with the boost turned down, and the n75 is doing better. Will be looking into running an mbc parallel with the n75. Pulls very hard in 4th gear.

#42 ·
I spent all last week, couple hours here and there, when it wasnt raining, installed new control arms that I had picked up from FCP. Let me tell you, pinch bolts with 150k miles on them, suck big time. Ended up having to take a cut of wheel and cut in between each slot on the spindle to separate the bolt piece. I then had to drill the center section of the bolts out. After that everything was smooth going.

Today I finally got the bumper mounted, after running with out it since I finished the Frankenturbo install. Pretty much cut out the whole back side of the bumper support to clear the fmic. Also cut out the center grille bars to expose the fmic better.

S4 fog lights on, wired independently from the headlights though.

Im going to glue the washer caps onto the bumper somehow, since I deleted the washers from the bumper as well.

#44 ·
Thanks. Im starting to save for a clutch now, then whatever else comes next. Ive got several ideas for wheels, but I havent really decided yet. I do know Im staying away from BBS', although they look good, just everyone and their brother runs them.

#45 ·
Got bored and went out with my friend and his dslr. Its the 2nd time I have ever used a dslr, and I really like it with the manual settings compared to a point and shoot. These are just a few I touched up to my liking with photoshop.

#47 ·
Like Ive told everyone else, Id enjoy it more if I had a clutch to support it. Stock clutch slips pretty hard in 4th and 5th gear at the moment. Its definitely noticeable over the k03. I definitely dont regret buying the setup though, at all. Im sure if you spoke to more guys with it, they are happy as well.

#48 ·
Good to see the bumper back on, looks great! I'm actually debating on either cutting the bumper tonight to fit the FMIC (can't mount it yet, need my friends welder) or knocking the stuffing out of my cat. I think I might do the cat as I'll get a more immediate gratification out of it.

Sent from my DROIDX

#49 ·
From doing so, Id wait until you got the fmic mounted, and actually pull the support out of the bumper, to cut and test fit it. I tried with the bumper attached, but I had to cut so much away it was impossible with the bumper attached.

#50 ·
Didnt realize I havent updated this thread in a bit. I got a new daily about a month ago, 2003 Audi A6 3.0L Auto, Quattro, so I could tear into my A4 to change the clutch, clean the engine and the bay up, change some gaskets, possible small wire tuck.

Today I started tearing back in to the car again today, since it was nice out. Got the front end off and out of the way. Most of the engine harness is now disconnected and pulled over to the driver side of the bay. Ive got a few more wires to trace, that go around the back of the block, and somewhere towards the front passenger side of the block to completely get it out of the way. I picked up the 12 point triple square bit from Napa along with the hex bit to remove the axles from the hub. I hope to make more progress as the week goes by, but I work nights during the week, so not a lot will get done.

Seeing this feels way too familiar.

Most of the harness pulled over to the driver side

2.0 Coils just hanging around

Say hello to Frank...

How she sits now

#51 ·
Been looking at several threads on different Audi forums getting ideas for the wire tuck. From what Ive come across, its going to be fairly easy, with only having to lengthen 3 plugs at the most. If I had a welder, or a way to get my car to a friends shop to use a welder, I would love to close up any openings for the harness that I will no be using anymore.

#53 ·
Not a whole lot of progress today, but I did manage to get rest of the harness unplugged from the engine and moved out of the way. Power steering lines, and ground cables to chassis are all undone. Ive just got to jack the car up, unbolt the drive shaft, front axles, engine mounts, and shifter linkage, and it will be ready to come out.

The entire engine harness

It just looks empty

#55 ·
Instead of dropping the trans to swap the clutch, I decided to just pull them together, separate them to install the clutch, mate them back together and put them both back in. A little extra work, but I feel it will make it easier.

#57 ·
It very well might be, but Ill feel better doing it this way, plus I wont have to fight trying to get all of the bolts. I hate working in tight quarters, I get frustrated easily.

I managed to get the garage straightened up enough earlier, so I can have room to work on the motor. It sucks when your parents, mainly mother, likes to just throw everything in there.

#58 ·
Some good progress for today. Got the engine and trans pulled, finally. One of the shifter linkage bolts was a total pita, as the further the bolt got threaded out, I was losing room for the allen key in the trans tunnel.

My pile of hand tools, Ive done all the work with...