The 'you need an E36' thread - Page 85
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35758182838485
    Results 2,101 to 2,118 of 2118
      current situation.

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

tore the head off and as far as i can tell the head at a minimum has been replaced with a BMW replacement head. there is no obvious signs of a blown HG, no visible cracks in the head and using a flat edge the head isnt warped past normal aluminum head flexibility. i was able to loosen most of the headbolts with a normal 3/8th ratchet and a 10" extenstion using very little torque so i think the headbolts were loosening up causing the bad leak down and pushing coolant. when running the coolant was bubbling but it was pushing past the cap. its getting ARP studs, new gaskets and slapped back together. ARP studs are in prep for boost this winter.

head is super clean, zero sludge or burned oil.

also found some minor port matching was done

Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

^that's clean. These M52/S52's can take a beating if maintained properly.

I don't know the complete history of the head that was on the '97 M3's S52, but when I pulled it at 200k to do a head gasket, it was spotless inside. Wasn't replaced in the 50k prior to my ownership and definitely thrashed by the PO, but well-maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      ^that's clean. These M52/S52's can take a beating if maintained properly.
      in my ownership its either idling or ran at WOT all drift track miles after 40+ events. my buddy said that when they bought it the PO claimed it had a complete bmw replacement engine put it 30k miles ago but no paper work. the dot-r sticker on the head supports that atleast the head has been replaced. pistons were super clean too. had some minor scoring by the exhaust valve relief. dash says its around 120k miles (whenever the pixels come back to life i can read it )

Instagram! @freedo70
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

The car came with clears and ZKW glass angel eyes with drop-in HIDs. I don't really like angel eyes or drop-in HID units, so I swapped over US spec headlights. Also went and threw on the ambers.

Just need to fix some interior bits like the cluster lighting

Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
      The car came with clears and ZKW glass angel eyes with drop-in HIDs. I don't really like angel eyes or drop-in HID units, so I swapped over US spec headlights. Also went and threw on the ambers.
      The US spec lights remind me of when people where extremely dirty eye glasses. It just doesn't sit right with me. No angel eyes I agree with, but crystal clear glass lenses are my preference.

Either way, good on ya for doing the car your way.

Part number for these? I ordered something witch a very similar name, but it was not for this exterior handle seal.

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post

After (ignore the spots; they're from the cleaning solution I used to get the 25 years of gunk off from under the handles):

Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Part number for these? I ordered something witch a very similar name, but it was not for this exterior handle seal.
      Pelican Parts #: 51-21-8-122-441

Associated part numbers: 51 21 8 122 441, 51-21-8-122-441, 51-21-8-122-441-BOE, 51.21.8.122.441, 51218122441

Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Anytime. Just keeping the good thread vibes going. You all have helped me out a ton on my ongoing refurbishment.

long story short had bad leakdown between cylinder and pushing coolant. was hoping it was just a HG. swap in new HG and ARP studs and now its running on 5cyl at idle and mixing water/oil. didnt have time to diagnose the issue due to big events coming up so i bought a 98 528i 5spd to swap the engine into the drift car. even though they are the same engine and same year its wild how different the accessories are. AC compressor is different (which sucks as mine just seized), bigger alternator with different wire hook up (hoping i can rewire the e36 harness to make it work) and the biggest thing is the powersteering lines are different and it has a factory cooler. im hoping i can make the power steering cooler work on the drift car as that will help big time with keeping the pump happy. also the reservoir is mounted up top which i like a lot and hope i can keep there

e36 belt routing

e39 belt routing

factory e39 power steering cooler

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      long story short had bad leakdown between cylinder and pushing coolant. was hoping it was just a HG. swap in new HG and ARP studs and now its running on 5cyl at idle and mixing water/oil. didnt have time to diagnose the issue due to big events coming up so i bought a 98 528i 5spd to swap the engine into the drift car. even though they are the same engine and same year its wild how different the accessories are. AC compressor is different (which sucks as mine just seized), bigger alternator with different wire hook up (hoping i can rewire the e36 harness to make it work) and the biggest thing is the powersteering lines are different and it has a factory cooler. im hoping i can make the power steering cooler work on the drift car as that will help big time with keeping the pump happy. also the reservoir is mounted up top which i like a lot and hope i can keep there
      The belt routing on the E39 is that same as what I have on both my '97 and '98 M3s.

I suspect the reason you don't have that top idler is the aftermarket water pump pulley, or that the PO just didn't see a need to have one (being an M52 you need all the power you can get )

I do also believe that there were different size alternators available on the E36, or at least I was presented with different options when I went to replace the alternator in my '97. Not sure why the wiring would be different. But on my VR6, the wiring had been hacked with a different connector, even though it had a factory style connector on the alternator itself. Sometimes you just can't explain why people do what they do

That power steering cooler would be cool, hope you can make it work. Are the connections at the rack different on the E36 vs. E39?

The belt routing on the E39 is that same as what I have on both my '97 and '98 M3s.

I suspect the reason you don't have that top idler is the aftermarket water pump pulley, or that the PO just didn't see a need to have one (being an M52 you need all the power you can get )

I do also believe that there were different size alternators available on the E36, or at least I was presented with different options when I went to replace the alternator in my '97. Not sure why the wiring would be different. But on my VR6, the wiring had been hacked with a different connector, even though it had a factory style connector on the alternator itself. Sometimes you just can't explain why people do what they do

That power steering cooler would be cool, hope you can make it work. Are the connections at the rack different on the E36 vs. E39?
      i put the water pump pulley on (ECS overdriven pulley) but never knew it had a idler i guess it works fine without it as its a stock size belt the e36 alternator has the smaller wire held on with a nut and the e39 is a plug. i have to compare connections on the rack in a couple days. im hoping to be doing burnouts by thursday as i have a 2 day drift event sat/sun. the e39 rack is behind the crossmember and the e36 is infront. it may all be the same just due to the e39 being physically larger it just looks different. the lines for sure are routed differently but they may end up in the same spot
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      Dismantled E36
      You are wild and brave. I wish I had that level of wrenching ability. I think I'm pretty proficient but would be pretty concerned with that level of dismantling. When I was a lad, I was happy to swap motors on MKIIs, but my E36 scares me a bit more.

Anyway, you all were right; amber corners all around was the move.

I'm going to take my wife's Nikon Z7 and lights out one day soon and do a proper photo shoot.

Ambers look great on there!!
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      You are wild and brave. I wish I had that level of wrenching ability. I think I'm pretty proficient but would be pretty concerned with that level of dismantling. When I was a lad, I was happy to swap motors on MKIIs, but my E36 scares me a bit more.

Honestly, my Mk2 VR6 has given me more heartache than working on the M3. My '97 was my first head gasket job, and while I had my buddy to help me, neither of us had done an in-depth job like that before. I didn't plan on doing as much as I did, but I'm glad I did. Sometimes life just forces your hand like that, and you appreciate the push.

I've since gone on to doing head gasket jobs on both the Mk2 VR6 and the Outback, and I really attribute the success of those jobs (as an untrained mechanic) to the confidence I got working on the M3 that first time. Especially the VR6, which has an intermediate shaft to be timed along with the crank/cams.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      Ambers look great on there!!
      I'm a weirdo in that I love the amber front corners, but the euro (clear) tails. When I bought the '97 I had one amber corner, and one clear corner. Because of what was in the junkyard, I ended up with 2 amber corners. Rear tails were euro ones, and I just kept them like that.

The '98 had the same amber fronts and euro tails as my '97, so it was meant to be mine!

I'm a weirdo in that I love the amber front corners, but the euro (clear) tails. When I bought the '97 I had one amber corner, and one clear corner. Because of what was in the junkyard, I ended up with 2 amber corners. Rear tails were euro ones, and I just kept them like that.
      I subscribe to the weirdo club. I have been running my M3 like that for a while too... I like the euro clears on the rear (with amber bulb) and amber side markers/corners.

Here's a period correct filter shot lol

GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

I was in the clear-tail club until last week.

I'm going for a completely stock look, so I think I'm happy now. I'll probably keep the clear corners in case I want to mix it up one day.
      I can't wait until I can get the coil-overs and actually have it sitting properly.

Clear tail lights:

Does anyone happen to have a diagram of the tail light socket locations? I am completely annoyed y the tail light failure message I keep getting. I just want to know what sockets fit in what holes, and what bulbs correspond with them.

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35758182838485