VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Is it totalled and What would you do?

15K views 125 replies 21 participants last post by  ceese 
#1 ·
So i got rear ended yesterday and i have had 1 buddy, who was a vw service writer, tell me the car looks totalled. I sent pictures to another buddy of mine who works as an adjuster through progressive. Based on pics, he doesn't believe the car is totalled.

Looking underneath the car, it doesn't appear that there is any suspension damage but i was only able to take a brief look while the car was on the flatbed. It looks like the roof might be slightly twisted where the tailgate and the rear passenger quarter panel meet. I am unable to tell if there is damage to the frame or not underneath the car.

I am turning to the wisdom of the A3 forums...Do you think we are looking at a totalled car or a repairable one? If it is repairable, what would you take the opportunity to do? Comments, ideas, suggestions welcome..

If it is not totalled, i have been thinking about replacing the hatch with a euro hatch, pulling the rear fenders, and putting on an s3 lower valence. What else am i missing?

at least the wheels looked clean still

See less See more
#72 ·
stopped by the body shop yesterday and got a look at the car with the bumper off...I made extra sure to have my phone with me to take a picture and realized when i walked out that i had forgotten to actually snap some photos...such an idiot. :facepalm:

I could not believe how non damaged the car looked without the bumper on. The bumper reinforcement broke on the right side at the weld, but did not break completely off. More of a twisting type break.

On a positive note...all the parts for the car were ordered and those coming from germany should be in by the end of the month at the latest. :laugh:

Ill be back in action soon...

#78 ·
They look pretty good man! Can't wait to see the car back in action!

#80 ·
I plan to get the LED tails in the near future! :thumbup:

#84 ·
picks from last week. car should be done within the next 24 -48 hrs. Audi kept sending the wrong interior support piece, thus delaying some final welding. Was supposed to be ready last friday.

here is where they cut the quarter panel..snip snip

bumper and valence together

test fitting euro trunk

cheers :beer:

#85 ·
Nice man that looks awesome! :thumbup:

#89 ·
thanks dude...im itchin to get it back so bad

Krazyboi said:
Awesome!! Can't wait to see it in person
thanks dude...on a side note, i had the body shop spray the interior trim lava grey as well including the shifter surround. Felt bad painting over the piano black, but oh well. no pics just yet, but looks great!

#91 ·
so of course the car got pushed back until tomorrow (we'll see), but over the weekend i got to thinking about painting another interior piece and wanted to get some feedback as i am having trouble visualizing my idea.

I have committed to and alreay had the body shop paint the interior trim pieces lava gray. My originial plan for the shifter surround triangles was to have them leather wrapped. Looking at the triangles over the weekend got me thinking about just painting them now and down the road i could always wrap them later.

now the question is, would you color match and paint them lava gray or paint them matte silver? I have the chrome trimmed euro switch and all the chrome trimmed window switches, but don't know if it would be too much to paint the handles silver as well. Outer side mirrors are painted matte silver as well..just providing context.

look forward to the input.

/1stworldproblems

google image..not my car or hands

#94 ·
I would be worried about to many colors. I would either keep it black, or go with the Lava Grey maybe??

Its hard to say. First world problems is right! Like Side markers... :laugh: :wave:

#96 ·
i had someone photoshop the triangles matte silver and they just didn't look that great. Decided to go lava grey on the triangles as well...why not?

no suprise...the car got pushed back until the end of the week. The body shop the car is at is great at everything...except having a car done on time.

I will have some phone pics right after i get it with a proper shoot to follow :thumbup:

#97 ·
i was starting to think the day would never come....
before...

accident...

fresh & so clean clean

painted shifter surround..don't have pics of the triangles but i painted them lava as well

there are a few little things that need to be adjusted...exhaust, rear valence, and a couple touch up spots but overall i am stoked.

ponto..ill get you some pics of the sidemarkers. I won't be able to get them out until monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.