VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

7 years and a Callaway GTI later

133K views 762 replies 70 participants last post by  Hoffa 
#1 · (Edited)
7 years and a Callaway GTI later

After a long hiatus (I never really left but was VW-less too long), I finally have a GTI. I have been hunting for a good GTI to do a full restoration/restomod on for the last 8 years but never found a good candidate. I have met a ton of people on here and in the community along the way and about 7 years ago made contact with a local guy from a Craigslist ad. He bought the car new and put a ton of time and money building what was to him the ultimate GTI. It was so clean with 51k original miles I finally got it together and took it home. Last registration was 1997! My wife thinks I am absolutely insane but to me it's like coming home!

My story
My first car @ 16 was a 1979 Rabbit purchased dead with a hole in the side of the block. For reference that was 30 years ago! On a starving student budget, a subscription to VW and Porsche magazine for motivation, and no mechanical experience I slowly transformed it with a scirocco engine, a diesel 5 speed transmission conversion, a used Bilstein kit and a GTI interior. I had to learn how to fix things myself (sometimes twice!) and believe me I had to touch just about every nut and bolt on that car. I had a ton of fun and converted a few American muscle car friends to the VW side after competing in non-sanctioned street hill climb events! After selling it I went American for a change but immediately regretted it. Then just before college I lucked upon a really clean 83 GTI from the original adult owner but with a blown head gasket. I purchased an almost brand new cabriolet that was rolled from a tow yard and swapped out the engine in the driveway.

That GTI was really something and I had untold life experiences including meeting my girlfriend & now wife (coincidently she owned a 1980 Scirocco S at the time so you can start to see the power of the VW influence on me). By buying and fixing up broken MK1's and2's it helped pay for part of college and gave me some great life skills. This attachment to old VW 's baffles my friends a bit and seems immature in some respects, but I don't care and have found kindred spirits here on VWV. I can relate well with Mr. Spratt, vdubspeed, echassin, racerlance, scirocgvnr, and just about everyone else here in some way so excuse me for the babble as I get to the next chapter on my new GTI.

The GTI
The original owner was in in the SF Bay Area VW scene showing this car in the late 80's to 90's and I'm certain I crossed paths with it a time or 2. It is ultra clean with 51k mi, has a perfect body, zero rust, a mint full Recaro interior incl door panels, Callaway Stage 2+ with intercooler and Microfueler, oil cooler, Koni's, Neuspeed, Zender, Hella, Momo, etc.

Basically it's a time capsule of all the period performance parts you could want back in the day. I want to be respectful of it's past but make it my own. Outside of the maintenance of recommissioning a car that's been off the road for 15 or so years, the first changes I want to make include ditching the 16" wheels in favor of some 15" RML Snowflakes, ATS's, or Zender Phase1's. Mid-term I'm debating going back to stock on the body and removing the Zender kit. I know that seems absurd to some but I'm more of an OEM plus guy and love the stock Westy look. I'm gathering parts to accomplish this (thanks Leo, Ron, and Shawn!) and so far have picked up NOS badges, amazing original front and rear seats, an air dam, stock VDO panel, and a bunch of small items.

I'll update my progress as I get it sorted and legal. I can't wait to get this roadworthy and hit the coast and mountains this summer.
Hoffa

See less See more
#29 ·
I'm going to be one of those people that think's that there is no way that GTI should be changed at all :( (maybe the wheels).
I'm going to have to say the car is great the way it is
I love it just the way it is :thumbup:

...but color matched Zender Turbos would set this off.
That thing is sweet.
That kit is such a rare bird. I'm sure once you get wheels and reassess, you might leave it as is (especially considering the shape of the body).
Awesome car, I would leave it as is, minus the wheels..........
That thing is awesome. I vote leave it mostly as is, except the wheels of course.
Time capsule! Super nice as is.
The more I spend time on the GTI the more inclined I am to keep it as is vs. bringing it back to stock. Now if I could only find a stock Silver GTI as clean as this... hmmm.:laugh:
As much as I would love to score some parts off of it I think keeping it together is the best plan.

^shaddap jake! :rolleyes:

:p:laugh::beer:

Glad to see the OP thinking to leave it alone ;)

#52 ·
FYI melbergVWfan, your S1 is a dead ringer for my wife's first car from back in the late 80's. Was sold to someone from the San Jose area in 1991 or so; I'll try and dig up a pic.
Hoffa

#15 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Yes I think the headlights appear to me to be euro scirocco with a modified mk1 grill. Agree that I'm going to keep it as is for now except for the chrome wheels. The owner ditched the Callaway VC as it leaked all the time but would like to find another at some point. Will be replacing the timing belt and servicing everything else this weekend.
Hoffa

#19 ·
Would love to see them. I have a vw&p magazine pic of this car but can't read the dates. Seller is hunting down the files lost in a move. I will dig in as well and see if I can find some show pics I took back at New Dimensions and pots 'em up.
Cheers, Hoffa

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the wheel thought but want to go 15's. Some interior shots...Recaro LS in Monza Blue inserts and Blue Avus bolsters/surrounds.

Mini parts hoard

#27 ·
the RA centercaps and some of the other items were a Craigslist finds from another old guy like me who moved on but unlike me was ready let things go. I put the open box RA caps up for sale here in the local Norcal section and the MK2 parts section but ended up trading them to 1 can rado for an airdam. Some other items like the NOS front badge and the Gti seats were Craigslist or eBay. I did sell off a few items like the NOS Kamei golf ball shifter on ebay to help fund some items. The hunt and a little horse trading make this hobby fun!

The more I spend time on the GTI the more inclined I am to keep it as is vs. bringing it back to stock. Now if I could only find a stock Silver GTI as clean as this... hmmm.:laugh:

#28 ·

:thumbup:

As much as I would love to score some parts off of it I think keeping it together is the best plan.