VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1.8t Big Turbo help

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  THEWIDOWSON 
#1 ·
Hey there Vw lovers! I got a project in my hands, first time ever doing big turbo upgrades to one of my vdubs. I got a 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8t with just a bit over 100k miles on it, a couple of months ago I had the timing belt go bad on me and pretty much destroyed my valve train. Since I needed to take off the head and have it sent to a machine shop go do the work I desided to go big rather than sticking to stock.

So here's my lay out to what I am going to put on the motor.

IE supertech exhaust/intake valves single grooves(no oversize)

IE supertech springs/retainer kit

IE valve guides

IE exhuast/intake valve stems

IE valve seals

IE ultimate Cam Gear Kit

IE street/strip camshaft set

JE stock stroke piston set

IE Forged 144X20 Rods

IE girdle/cap kit

Now my big dilema would be the turbo set up, i am planning to run an Unitronic tune on it.

My goal is to start up small pushing 350+ hp safely on the wheel. With the upgrades im planning to do to the transmision, which are.

Stage 3+ ACT clutch kit

Peliquin LSD

High performance axels 2.9 rated at 500hp

Now I know I will be going for a Garrett Gt series turbo, GT2871r or GT3076r.
I also saw a frew eliminator kits that ATP offers want to see any feedback on those on a similar tune that someone here has done.

Posted via Topify on Android

See less See more
#2 ·
i believe a 2871 is good for 400 hp but the thing with big turbo is not just the turbo itself, you have the right idea by upgrading internals thats a must but you will also need to upgrade all your hoses as well forge makes all of them in multiple colors hope this helps

#3 ·
I also have been thinking of a 3076r for next summer season. Really to me the best option seems to be maestro 7. Its going to be a lot to learn. But the car is going so far away from set part specific tunes that getting a pre packaged one from a manufacturer is not going to do the car justice. Maestro does come with a variety of base files that will get you up and running so you should be able to match your setup pretty close and than dial it in. Not only is it about $200 cheaper but it comes with the software to tune yourself. Not just a ecu reflash. So you cant really go wrong there. But I am no expert and have a lot to research before I go that route so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.