VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

All Roof Rack/Bar Options and Attachments

89K views 196 replies 95 participants last post by  MojoMan 
#1 ·
Hoping to pick up my custom order CSG SE in the next two weeks and starting to look for a roof rack for surfboards, bikes, and the occasional trip to the lumber yard. Has anyone installed a roof rack yet on their MKVII?

The only rack I can seem to find is the OEM, which I'm not too keen on the looks of. Prior to this model release, I had read great things about the Whispbars and basically settled on that design for the lower profile and less noise reported. However, I can't seem to find them anywhere for the MKVII, and wondering if the new sunroof design is conflicting with the low clearance Whispbars have over the roof.

Any experience or research folks could share is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#160 · (Edited)
Just reread this thread. I mentioned that I use a Rhino Rack quite some time ago, but didn't share photos in this thread. I think I'm the only one who's mentioned having a Rhino Rack. I've also done some experiments to see how it fits on cars that have a sunroof. Here are some photos:

Here's how they compare to the OEM rack:

Here's how Rhino Rack rear bar clears the open sunroof:

My current attachments:

Yakima LoadWarrior OffGrid cargo basket... noisy when empty...

Yakima Showcase 15...

#164 ·
Just reread this thread. I mentioned that I use a Rhino Rack quite some time ago, but didn't share photos in this thread. I think I'm the only one who's mentioned having a Rhino Rack. I've also done some experiments to see how it fits on cars that have a sunroof. Here are some photos:
]
Honestly the Rhino Rack looks damn good, I think it looks better than the OEM. And if it clears the sunroof even better. I think the Pano sunroofs may be more challenging than standard sunroof not sure. I have the OEM base carriers which I moved over from my 2016 GTI w/sunroof, but now I have a Golf R and I could go for something super low profile.

#161 ·
2017 GTI and Carrier Bars

I recently purchased the carrier bars for my GTI and unfortunately I threw away the manual after installation.

I'm getting some wind noise and I'm questioning a couple of things. Where do the little grey sticker things go on them? Also how can I tell which direction the rear bar goes? The manual didn't show which side goes on which side and it looks identical on both sides.

#162 ·
I'm not in front of mine but there is a slight difference in the brackets/caps. It will follow roof line a bit better one way. There may be markings on onside of end caps for side/direction. Did it come with T slot gaskets? those will reduce wind noise.

I bought mine used..so no clue on stickers but trash is my 1st suggestion on where they go.

#167 ·
Roof Rack + Cargo Box Recommendations

I'm moving 2500km away and the only stuff that I will be taking will be whatever fits in my Golf. So I'm looking at roof racks and cargo boxes. Currently I'm leaning towards the OEM VW rack due to it being much cheaper than Thule/Yakima. I'm not sure about the cargo box yet. I like the Thule cargo boxes but I'm not sure if they'll fit the VW bars.

I'm looking for firsthand experience/recommendations.

#170 ·
I’ve got to add a little caveat to what I said above, having just completed an 865-mile road trip from Chicago to NY with some fully-loaded rhino racks on the car. The roof stayed closed the entire trip because of rain/interstate/heat/all the noise generated by the attachments, until we were in some country roads at the end of the trip. That’s when I heard some rattling/banging. After we stopped, I figured out that it was the back end of the sunroof making contact with the bottom of the rear bar! While they were not touching each other when stationary, over bumps, either the movement of the roof, or the rhino bars with a fully loaded roof box on them, was enough to move them I to contact with one another. So in spite of what I said about being able to open the roof under the rhino bars without a problem, you may still have a problem actually using it when in motion. Then again, the noise from all that stuff is so f’in horrendous, that alone is reason enough for me to keep the roof closed until I get the whole assembly off...sure is practical, though 🙂

#172 ·
Hi, all. I'm having some confusion about the roof rack options I want to get. Supposedly they fit my 2018 MK7.5 Golf R, but the online stores say they are not compatible. 🤷‍♂️

I am looking at the Whispbar Flush Bars for a naked roof. According to Whispbar AU (Yakima USA), the correct Flush Bar model is S25W and Fitment Kit is K692 for VW Golf MK7/7.5 5-door hatch, years 2017-2020. Here's the link to the specific page on their site:

However, when I go to Yakima USA, their site says Flush Bars are not compatible. Their specific page:

The other option for "flush bars" is Thule Aero Blade. Yet, they also say those are not compatible.

Why does the manufacturer say these fit but USA retailers say they are not compatible? Is anybody using any of these 3? If so, what model bars and fitment kit model numbers are they?

If I can't use these, what other options are there for flush - not through, low-profile bars and clamp for naked roof towers?

Close up pics (not of your whole car from a distance) would help. Thanks!

#179 ·
Hi all, apologies that my first post on this forum is a request for help!

Due to a growing family, we have decided to get a roof rack (for occasional box use) for my Mk7 GTI. I've landed on a set of Yakima whispbars (through bars) after my research.

However, I've been having a bit of an issue getting the front roof bars to within the manufacturers recommended width. It feels solid, but sits 910mm wide, instead of 895mm wide.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering whether it is within appropriate tolerances or whether I need to take it off and try from the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

#180 ·
I have factory bars from my MK V that almost fit my MK VII. The rear ones fit, and with a 5mm T wrench I can adjust the front to the correct width.
The clips that attach to the door frames do not fit correctly.
Anyone know how to make them fit, or if and where I might get replacement clips that fit?

Thanks
BTW, it seems no one wants MK V bars now.

#183 ·
I had massive success with my Thule Squarebar EVOs and the associated Bike attachment. I got the fairing off of amazon and started customizing it. I loved this car, but the family is growing...traded it in for the new 2022 Tiguan... im selling my roof rack components on Craigslist. New the rack is $540...which was steep. im selling the rack with the bike attachment (further $80) for $400. let me know if interested. Thule Squarebar EVO for MK 7 GTI - auto parts - by owner - vehicle...
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Attachments

#184 ·
@Stealth_TDI
Could you tell me which size load warrior you have? I am going to pick one of these up to mount a deflated paddleboard or two. I like Yakima stuff having used their ski and bike racks in the past. I am deciding between a Load Warrior or an OffGrid basket. I know your post is a couple years old at this point, but if you are able to respond I would appreciate it.

#185 ·
@Voxx

Could you tell me which size load warrior you have?
I was mistaken when I listed it as a Load Warrior. My basket is actually an OffGrid. I've edited my post. In the photo, my OffGrid was pictured with its 18-inch extension. It holds a lot, but it generates quite a lot of wind noise, especially when the basket is empty. I removed the extension. Still, too be honest, I usually mount the basket on my trailer instead of my car. I can't hear it back there! :p

Here's a couple of photos for relevance:

#188 ·
I just attempted to install a set of 53" Thule WingBar Evo and the Evo Raised Rail foot pack on my Alltrack. Unfortunately with the 53" bars the feet are not able to get narrow enough to mount onto the car rails. The bars have a channel on each side on the bottom of the bar that the feet slide into and they are not long enough.

I decided to go with the 53" over the 47" or the 50" because I wanted to mount a Kuat Mini Skinny cargo rack and a Thule SnowPack M at the same time during ski season. The Mini Skinny is almost 24" wide and the SnowPack M is about 25". I decided the extra 3 inches over the 50" would be helpful in allowing the SnowPack M to open more comfortably. I should have done more research and paid closer attention to the fit suggestions on the site.

We live in New York City so I don't have a garage to store the Mini Skinny, nor do I want to take it off every time we go skiing. Does anyone have a similar set up on 50" or 47" WingBars, is the fit too close to operate correctly? Should I try to mill/cut the channel deeper on the bottom 53"?

#189 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a setup and found out it doesn't work. Does anyone have experience with this set up or something close for an Alltrack/SportWagen? I have the Pano roof too if that helps confirm if the setup will work...
  • Thule Evo Wingbar - went with the 53" which was my down fall
  • Thule Evo Raised Rail Feet
  • Thule SnowPack M - approx 25" wide
  • Kuat Mini Skinny - approx 24" wide
Thule website suggests the 47" WingBar but based on the width of each accessory it wont fit, at least inside the width of the bars. Is this a big issue? I was also afraid that the Kuat U bolt would run into interference issues with the Thule feet. I saw a few posts with the 50" WingBar mounted and no mention of having to cut the bottom channel. I was still concerned with fit issues with the accessories on the 50" due to it being so close.

Here is my original post with more info if interested - Help! Done goofed - Thule Bars and Accessories

#192 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a setup and found out it doesn't work. Does anyone have experience with this set up or something close for an Alltrack/SportWagen? I have the Pano roof too if that helps confirm if the setup will work...
  • Thule Evo Wingbar - went with the 53" which was my down fall
  • Thule Evo Raised Rail Feet
  • Thule SnowPack M - approx 25" wide
  • Kuat Mini Skinny - approx 24" wide
Thule website suggests the 47" WingBar but based on the width of each accessory it wont fit, at least inside the width of the bars. Is this a big issue? I was also afraid that the Kuat U bolt would run into interference issues with the Thule feet. I saw a few posts with the 50" WingBar mounted and no mention of having to cut the bottom channel. I was still concerned with fit issues with the accessories on the 50" due to it being so close.

Here is my original post with more info if interested - Help! Done goofed - Thule Bars and Accessories
I ended up with the 47” bars. Everything works great. Show Us Your Racks!

#196 ·
Hello,
I have a 2 door gti so I know they don’t make them with specific kits for my car. I saw a 2 door Volvo hatchback with the Thule kit. Anyone have experience or advice for any roof rack attachment?
Believe it or not, the rear windows of the 2-door do have a small slot to accommodate a rack clip. Unfortunately, it does not appear that any of the aftermarket rack makers are chasing that market. To my knowledge, only VW offers a rack for the 2-door, P/N: 5G3071126. It's priced accordingly, being a genuine VW part; but it's an option. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.