VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

84 Rabbit GTI track build

49K views 201 replies 35 participants last post by  PerkeyTurkey 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a continuation of a previous build moving in to a new car. My 83 had bent frame rails and was never a solid start. There should be some quick progression in this thread since I will just be swapping my nearly finished project from the 83 to the 84. The 84 is overall clean but needed some repairs to the lower half of the core support. The 84 is being repaired and will start to get a slew of parts transferring from the 83 upon completion of the core support repairs.

Specs are as follows:
Engine:
OBD2 ABA bored .050
Wossner forged 12.3:1 high compression pistons
SCCH knife edged crank shaft
SSCH lightened intermediate shaft
ARP headstuds
Techtonics Tuning HD valve springs
Techtonics Tuning chromoly retainers
Techtonics Tuning adjustable cam gear
Techtonics Tuning lightweight intermediate shaft gear
Port and polished OBD2 head converted to solid lifters and clearanced for oversized cam
+2mm Supertech stainless intake valves
+1mm Supertech stainless exhaust valves
Kent Cam Race 300* race cam
Racelang 4-2-1 stainless header
Techtonics Tuning 2.25 stainless catless exhaust with magnaflow muffler, using v-band clamps
Megasquirt v2 engine management
Nubwerks ABA intake flange with custom runners to fit Mikuni 43mm throttle bodies from GSXR750
1.8t 31# injectors
16v windage tray
Mocal 19 row oil cooler and sandwich plate with Goodyear -8 hose and Integrated Engineering -8 black fittings

Transmission:
CRU coded O2A from passat 16v
OE flywheel lightened to 14 lbs
Sachs VR6 clutch disk and pressure plate
O2A mounts to fit MK1
Pedal clutster and brake master cylinder brackets built to house hydraulic conversion

Suspension:
SCCH 2" spherical drop pin kit
Prothane polyurethane bushings
EuroSport camber plates

Brakes:
Corrado Girling 60 calipers and 11" front rotors
mk2 rear disk conversion
Stoptech braided steel brake lines
Mintex red brake pads

Wheels and Tires:
949 Racing 6UL 15x8 +36 offset 11.6 lbs per wheel
205/50/15 Toyo RA1

Safety:
4 point welded DOM .090 roll bar and rear strut brace
MOMO fiberglass bucket seat
Stroud 5 point seatbelt
MOMO wheel, NRG quick release hub
MK1 steering column lowered 1.5"

Electrical:
EZ Wiring 18 circuit mini kit
Painless Performance rocker switches
MK1 oil temp, oil pressure, volt meter gauges
Porsche 944 8k tachometer
Innovate motorsports LM1 AFR gauge

Some previous and current progression photos:

Day I brought the 84 home

Pulling the JH and trans out

Core support damage

New core support from the junk yard (yes I am staying square)

Old core support removed

To conclude this first post I am ready to fit the new core support to the 84. That should happen this weekend. I will be pulling everything from the 84 and putting it in the 83 to sell as a complete car. wiring interior engine trans etc... until next time... :peace:

See less See more
#91 ·
Make that 3... my boss just gave me the go-ahead to use the partially used 2nd warehouse for the next 5-6 weeks to sort out my 84 GTI. Restarting my build thread tonight.

Awesome work.

How well do the 225s clear stock suspension? Have you even tried knowing you were going with the Berg kit? What offset are those Konigs?

#92 ·
I appreciate both of your response. I need to get back to work on this project. Soon enough I can update. I've got to do a head gasket on my truck first.

Magnessr, good luck with your build. Do you have a build thread yet?

Phatvw1, do you have a build thread? To answer your question, the 225s fit the car front and rear. The wheels are spec'd at 15x8.5 +25. If I were to do it again I'd go -15 to -25. This setup with +25 actually fits stock flares. I am going to build a better wheel setup later. Im just gonna throw the bergs on the shelf for now.

#93 ·
Magnessr, good luck with your build. Do you have a build thread yet?
Not yet, but should have one started soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#95 ·
Rear suspension looks good, i see some shims for alignment correction but you also have the stay bars on the beam. Have you done an alignment yet? There is a ton of adjustment with the stay bars on the alignment rack :thumbup:

#96 ·
Good to know. This build went stale. The rabbit pickup has occupied my time. I also had to move the end of January, and dealing with a separation blah blah blah trying to get back to what I want in life and that includes building this damn car. So today was a major step in that direction. I went ahead and placed an order with Scale Suspension today. 2-5 week lead time for custom coilovers. Beats RSS Clubsports from H&R. I'm gonna get this rig rollin. Get the fuel system plummed and get it fired up. Pics when they arrive!

#100 ·
Thank you.

Well I feel like I'm getting a little hosed. I ordered the coilovers from Scale on Feb. 22nd. They have a chat form on their website that I contacted them through March 13th asking for an update. At that time I was told my coilovers would be assembled by the end of the week. At that point I anticipated some sort of shipping update the next week. That never happened. I contacted them March 30th via website chat asking for an update and was told I had to email them for an update. So I did... No response. Sent another email April 3rd, and still haven't received a response. I understand custom built items take time but if they tell me my shit is being assembled, why haven't I received an update almost 3 weeks later? That's my rant. Contacted my credit card company and know when the cutoff date is to dispute the purchase. I don't want to go that route. I want the coilovers.

#104 ·
I've called several times. Always get the voicemail that says to email them.
More on this disaster... My car was being stored at my old house. The landlord was a friend so he allowed me to keep it their since I didnt have any suspension under it. I finally said screw Scale. Contacted American Express and filed a claim. Instantly requested my $$$$ back and had it within 3 days. Low and behold after many email attempts and phone calls guess who calls... "Do you still want your order? We'll ship it next week... (9 weeks later) My response was "Fuck no! I've already moved on! SO... for the time being... I picked up racelands since they are local and cheap so I could move the car (landlord needed it out). Moved it to a friends house so it could remain garaged. Ill probably throw the Raceland fronts on my truck when I order something track oriented for the GTI.

IMO avoid Scale Suspension. It is unfortunate as I was extremely excited to use their product. The lack of customer service on their part is ridiculous after they took my money. I wont support them. There are a few companies building threaded shock bodied (true) coilovers for MK1 now. Ill go that route when I am ready. Wont be long. :) /Rant

#103 · (Edited)
Photobucket sure has screwed 90% of the threads on here. Nobody is gonna come through and redo all their photos. That's a bummer, tons of information out there.

Anyhow, I haven't given up here, unexpected loss in the family memorial weekend plus the summer heat and playing golf regularly. Just been preoccupied. I did make some progress yesterday since I had some "ME" time for a change. I ordered aluminum tube and silicon couplers a while back to start on the ITB manifold. Went down to a friends shop to use his band saw so I could start cutting. Today after my round of golf I went to visit the car in storage to see how close my measurements (memory) were. I need to cut the runners back 1/2" and move the radiator forward about an inch and we'll have plenty of space for velocity stacks, dipstick tube, fan shroud, and upper radiator hose.

Here's the mocked up manifold. Nothing welded yet.

#108 ·
Been working on the ITB setup. Finally cut the aluminum tubing down to length. I also had to section one end on each runner down to fit the NubWorks head flange as well as machine the flange for a good fit to the runners. Had that welded up so next on the schedule is a quick test fit in the car to verify clearance. I plan on moving the radiator forward but it may be necessary to shorten the runner length so I haven't had the runners welded to the flange yet.

#110 ·
That ITB set up looks nice. I like how the runners are real long. I looked at the picture close and it looks like there are a few ways you could maybe mount the fuel rail on the throttle bodies, but my eyes could be deceiving me. Are you putting the injectors at the flange (I assume the flange has ports for the injectors) or just after the butterflies on the throttle bodies?

#111 ·
That ITB set up looks nice. I looked at the picture close and it looks like there are a few ways you could maybe mount the fuel rail on the throttle bodies, but my eyes could be deceiving me. Are you putting the injectors at the flange (I assume the flange has ports for the injectors) or just after the butterflies on the throttle bodies?
Thanks!

Yes, I will use the injector ports at the flange. The ports at the butterflys are the stock location for the Suzuki injectors. I think I'll tap each one for a barb fitting, join them with hose to run the brake booster

#112 ·
Well this isn't completely dead.. A lot has gone on in life per usual. The car has been sitting in storage. I questioned whether or not to part and sell it or just sit on it. This year marks a big step for me. Home ownership. The rabbit sits in storage for it's day to move to the new house. Construction should be complete in August. But I do still work on little projects on the GTI occasionally.

Some recent house pics! 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, unfinished basement, 2 car garage townhome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#117 ·
My town home is progressing. Expecting August completion. I can't wait to get in there to prep the garage for both GTIs. I want to epoxy the floor and finish the walls.

I've been to my buddies to get a list of parts to start assembly of the fuel system. Everything should begin to arrive Tuesday. Some GTI photos to follow.

#118 ·
First batch of pieces I ordered arrived today.

Rubber isolators for the fuel pump bracket.
Banjo fitting for the fuel pump.
Copper washers to seal the banjo fitting.

Still waiting for the 12mm banjo to 5/16 hose Barb and 12x1.5 thread banjo nut and M6 rivnuts to mount the pump bracket.

#120 ·
Finally settled in to my new home and have been able to make some progress on the GTI. I have a solution for the Corrado G60 caliper adapters. They hit the rotor but I can grind down the edge to clear that issue up. I've ordered new 11" brembo rotors. Full refresh on the Corrado calipers. I bought new mk3 GTI rear calipers. I'm going to have braided brake lines built this week (the lines that hinge above the axle and the short line that feeds the caliper). I'm still waiting for 1 rear caliper to arrive so I can finish the passenger side hard line. I need some allen head bolts to bolt the rear calipers on as well. So essentially the brakes can be finished by next weekend. Still need to decide on pads. Once the pads are in I can pressurize the system, and get the clutch bled as well.

A few things I've noticed working in my new garage, 1 being lighting. I have to get some work lights set up. There's also a shortage of electrical outlets. I need some jackstands and perhaps a set of wheel dollies to move the car around the garage a little easier.

I'll update once the brakes are done and I decide on the next project to tackle. Most likely the fuel system and itb manifold.

Pics for clicks. I painted the calipers a high temp gloss black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.