VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

84 Rabbit GTI track build

49K views 201 replies 35 participants last post by  PerkeyTurkey 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a continuation of a previous build moving in to a new car. My 83 had bent frame rails and was never a solid start. There should be some quick progression in this thread since I will just be swapping my nearly finished project from the 83 to the 84. The 84 is overall clean but needed some repairs to the lower half of the core support. The 84 is being repaired and will start to get a slew of parts transferring from the 83 upon completion of the core support repairs.

Specs are as follows:
Engine:
OBD2 ABA bored .050
Wossner forged 12.3:1 high compression pistons
SCCH knife edged crank shaft
SSCH lightened intermediate shaft
ARP headstuds
Techtonics Tuning HD valve springs
Techtonics Tuning chromoly retainers
Techtonics Tuning adjustable cam gear
Techtonics Tuning lightweight intermediate shaft gear
Port and polished OBD2 head converted to solid lifters and clearanced for oversized cam
+2mm Supertech stainless intake valves
+1mm Supertech stainless exhaust valves
Kent Cam Race 300* race cam
Racelang 4-2-1 stainless header
Techtonics Tuning 2.25 stainless catless exhaust with magnaflow muffler, using v-band clamps
Megasquirt v2 engine management
Nubwerks ABA intake flange with custom runners to fit Mikuni 43mm throttle bodies from GSXR750
1.8t 31# injectors
16v windage tray
Mocal 19 row oil cooler and sandwich plate with Goodyear -8 hose and Integrated Engineering -8 black fittings

Transmission:
CRU coded O2A from passat 16v
OE flywheel lightened to 14 lbs
Sachs VR6 clutch disk and pressure plate
O2A mounts to fit MK1
Pedal clutster and brake master cylinder brackets built to house hydraulic conversion

Suspension:
SCCH 2" spherical drop pin kit
Prothane polyurethane bushings
EuroSport camber plates

Brakes:
Corrado Girling 60 calipers and 11" front rotors
mk2 rear disk conversion
Stoptech braided steel brake lines
Mintex red brake pads

Wheels and Tires:
949 Racing 6UL 15x8 +36 offset 11.6 lbs per wheel
205/50/15 Toyo RA1

Safety:
4 point welded DOM .090 roll bar and rear strut brace
MOMO fiberglass bucket seat
Stroud 5 point seatbelt
MOMO wheel, NRG quick release hub
MK1 steering column lowered 1.5"

Electrical:
EZ Wiring 18 circuit mini kit
Painless Performance rocker switches
MK1 oil temp, oil pressure, volt meter gauges
Porsche 944 8k tachometer
Innovate motorsports LM1 AFR gauge

Some previous and current progression photos:

Day I brought the 84 home

Pulling the JH and trans out

Core support damage

New core support from the junk yard (yes I am staying square)

Old core support removed

To conclude this first post I am ready to fit the new core support to the 84. That should happen this weekend. I will be pulling everything from the 84 and putting it in the 83 to sell as a complete car. wiring interior engine trans etc... until next time... :peace:

See less See more
#128 ·
Well I'm not on IG or FB so you probably anounced it on there. Lyfe is pretty cool. I met Cole back when I was a Junior in HS and he was running a blob eye STI at our old drag strip. Also talked to him quite a bit while he was a tech at Strong Porsche SL. They've brought GTR wheels in to my work for repair recently.

Bit of nonsense while attempting to put the front brakes on yesterday. While torquing the carrier to the adapter I stripped out one of the threaded holes on the driver side bracket. Horse shit. So I emailed MMP last night to see if there was a chance they can sell me just 1 bracket, a lady emailed back saying no... So another $130 down the tube for an entire adapter setup that I have to modify. Tough pill to swallow. Especially because I was careful to hand tighten the bolt and use a torque wrench to their specs. The bolt never got tight. The 3 other bolts never gave me a problem.

#137 ·
The adapters rub the rotor when everything is bolted up. Very lightly. So we used a flat milling blade to take 1mm off along the edge. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. Honestly, Ive never used a helicoil so I don't know. I kind of figured it was a sensitive area for a helicoil. But upon further research I probably could have used one there. Live and learn.

#138 ·
Pads are in and greased. All 4 calipers are bolted up and torqued to spec. I can start bending the rear brake lines around the rear axle beam. The MMP caliper adapters put the calipers at an angle that causes the front brake lines to touch the bracket on the strut that holds the brake lines in place. So I'm going to have to trim those brackets back. I need to finish plumbing the lines and pick up some Motul RBF600 brake fluid some time this week so I can get this job finished and move on to the fuel system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#149 · (Edited)
Not a true threaded body coilover. You want spring pre load separate from height adjustment.

edit and with a system like the V3 the lower you set the coilovers, the less shock travel you have. I have SCCH 2" ball joint extenders welded in to the front hubs so I already have to compensate. Otherwise I'd have to raise the strut towers 2" to make up for it. The threaded body like on the BCs helps maintain full shock travel.

#151 ·
KW is basic bitch stuff. Lol

It's a shame scale is totally retarded, my setup runs as good as the ohlins in the singers :/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#153 ·
Yeah... And to think they once had my money... Fuckers. This dilemma would be done almost 2 years ago had they responded to simple requests, and didn't lie repeatedly.

I eliminated Ksport from the list. They don't match the valving to the spring rates. I've looked through everything else. Probably going to end up with BC. I just wish they offered the 2 way adjustable stuff for mk1. Again I wish Fortune Auto offered something period.

#155 ·
I can't remember if I asked, but what about jrz stuff? You could hit them up. I'm thinking of their 14 series in the future, truly fully adjustable suspension remote reservoir, etc. If I can, i'll toss my swifts on there too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#160 ·
We are still here... some how some way. I’ve worked on random bits here and there. I’ve done a lot of work on the ITB manifold to get it finished. The last that is needed on that is brackets welded to the manifold and fuel rail to attach the 2. I bit the bullet and finally ordered parts for the fuel system setup. Running Vibrant -6 AN fittings throughout with the exception of Summit filters and Summit aluminum tubing. Walbro pump. Fuelab FPR. NubWerks billet fuel rail. Bosch green giant 42# injectors. Still waiting for a couple back order items to arrive. In the meantime I’m figuring out what radiator to run.

#161 ·
I have 95% on the items needed to finish the fuel system. Waiting on 1 filter to arrive . That won’t prevent me from routing everything so hoping this weekend I can make some serious progress. Also bought some velocity stacks for extra brrrraps.

-6 hard line I’ve been waiting on

Brrrraps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.