VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

After 5y Lived out of the caddy, then lived in a geodesic dome on mokoosh land.Until he narcissistic rage and we back in the truck.

45K views 625 replies 39 participants last post by  David@vwvortex 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey ALL!
I've been on here for a while.
I actually owned a reputable VW shop for several years. It was killing me and I hated it so closed the doors, packed all my tools, sold my lift and tools and I moved into my 81 n/a mtdi/ corrado trans, rabbit truck and headed to the West Coast! With my Dog.

I got stabbed by a drug addict Iraq vet and lost my finance and my one employee and had to leave the area to maintain sanity.
Ever get your cloths cut off, then flown by helicopter at a hospital where nobody knows you, phone dead and no wallet and you got stabbed attempted murder and your birthday is next week? maybe it makes you question what your working for. My mk1 obviously ! ;p

Bye everyone. I will miss you a LOT. Made countless friends. Learned a LOT!!! Got a couple people started who now run successful shops!

Thought you guys might get a kick out of my ride! Lots of mods, and mods to turn it into a camper.

Now onto the MK1 Content:
First mod was a tow bar in the front, because you never know! it could save a fortune. Drives fine already crossed the country once! An old man who towed a Cabriolet behind his RV brought it to me one day at the shop because he said it "belonged there" being nicely made, they are few and far between.

On Highway 101 being a beach bum and I'm not the only one!!!

Through the high desert in SoCal! I think the rabbit found its natural habitat.

In lower sequoia all alone in the valley with Maxine!

For the TDI swap I used an 11mm rover pump supplied by CRSMP5 (currently banned) p520 nozzles, 6 puck clutch, corrado trans and linkage, eurovan actuator, home made mounts and clutch cable using 1989 honda civic clutch cable, 100mm axles. I de-turboed it after I blew a k24 running 25 psi interceded (never hit 1200 on EGT).
Used 4-2-1 downpipes and n/a/custom intake. Now it is NON TURBO M-TDI.
I had to rebuild my axle in the Mojave desert in Slab City! but the sand got in there and it is NOT fun to jack a car up on sand.....
or keep sand out of a greasy dessert with sand blowing and its 110f!
It is getting 60MPG loaded down through the rockies.

So for the extra torque I converted to a mk2 diesel gold engine mount.
Are you Jelly you didn't think of it first? made it bolt in. Lets see another one!

A few mods I made where:
Dual Auxiliary Batteries! (3 totaling 450AH)
A/c D/c converter.
150W solar pannel
10A solar charge converter
120A Alternator that can charge aux batteries while running the motor or isolate the aux electrical system
phone chargers on 2 different electrical systems.

Corrado Transmission
1998 TDI engine rebuilt with ALH pistons and De-Turbo'd
ALH adjustable Injection Pump pulley on Rover 11mm 2.5l pump rebuilt
Cable shift from corrado
custom mk3 brake swap with 22mm master cylinder
All aluminum cooling flanges
removed rear wall so camper is a walk through!
rebuilt-everything, owned a shop LOL
Yes I have no Timing belt cover, yes I have left it off for years because the metal mk1 kept breaking. and it's crossed the US multiple times and never jumped a belt in 34+ years so save your breath.

Here is my bed. about 7' 10" perfect for me and my dog curled up at my feet. Curtains all around. enough electricity for a week. stove. cooler. water. Mobile internet.
Mtdi caddy.

Does anyone need more motivation to see the world in their caddy??

Nothing better than a N/A MTDI 02A

Anyone need any work done around the country PM me as I am a mobile mechanic now.
And heck yes I love living in my mk1!

Happy motoring!
Chilling in seattle for a little because SoCal is too hot right now!!!
Questions/comments WELCOME

See less See more
#521 ·
No more talk
I actually work on my caddy.

Lift up, all 4 wheels off.
Brake fluid flush.

Find alignment in front off due to play in inner tie rod. Very beginning of tire wear.

I have been ignoring this problem for over 10 years.

I ordered the tie rod and it will be here Tuesday.

I ordered two aftermarket orielies cv axle shafts for a cabriolet

After attempting to remove my old outer cv from the shaft, and shattering the vise it was attached thru
As opposed to a factory German axle, is not terribly hard to destroy with a sledge hammer.

Who said anything about anger issues?!?

So axles will be here at the same time.
With tight steering that will further improve my fuel economy.

If I had an aux fuel tank this would make a great cannonball vehicle.

In that’s because the rear cab is open and the pass seat folds over and flush with the rear floor …
you could trade off drivers and with a true 10 foot long section for sleeping.

I have not touched the steering rack since owning destiny.

The driver side is tight.
Pass side significant play.
I’ve known about this for years.

Lol the pass axle… was original to truck with 100mm inner w/no clip.
Had torn boot since I got it.
Only moderate driving who cares.

You care once you cross something like Mojave desert.

Entering 75miles no service this very axle started clicking so hard even under straight accel.

I had brought a complete joint.
All I gotta do is make it there.
It is making a crunching noise felt in the cab
I make it to slab city.

I pull my axle early in the morning (was like 115f+ afternoon)

Mother. ****er. Cv joint. Would not come off.
As I demonstrated on mokoosh axle they will not always come off…

Anyway… I take inner joint off and remove remnants of boot.
Sitting in Mojave desert in 2015 with my 34yo axle sand blowing around us.
I “cleaned” the joint. Without disassembling it.
Rinsed it with some diesel.
Packed with my grease tube from the joint kit
The joint kit boot was wrong somehow so I had to slit it with a razor to fit the base circle.
And called it good.

And this, is that same axle. 7+ years of faithful service. Living in 5 diff states.

It just now started to make un nerving single clicks at discerning times.

I… have been thru more drama with this axle than most relationships can survive.
But it never let me down.

Thanks for wasting your time reading this
[emoji1787][emoji3590]

I hope you have, a less complicated relationship with your next set of axles.

You and me both brother!

#522 ·
I hope you have, a less complicated relationship with your next set of axles.
I usually have pretty good luck with them. I replace the boots when I see they’re torn, and swap the CVs side to side to give a new wear area.

Then again, it’s a wear item that withstands a lot of stress, so if/when they fail, I get over it…. I’ll grab a spare from the shelf.

-Todd

#524 · (Edited)
OMG, I learned [yes old people can still learn stuff] how to remove outer CV joints without removing the joint from the hub. Learned it from some young BMW tech.

Basically, you get a special vise grip, crimp it on the axle shaft and hit the vise grip with a long round punch. As in something about 3/4 inch diameter, solid steel. Find the biggest hammer, hit the punch and every axle I ever wanted out of a CV joint has come out.

Someday, I will post a picture because I am certain none of what I wrote makes any sense.

#528 ·
Ok, use your imagination and do not pick on what I used at the props. It's a copper pipe which will not work as well as a cheap pair of HF vise grips. Yeah, shop is still messy and I have no idea where my real vise grips and bar is. I believe I mentioned anything steel and .75" diameter will work great. I bought a HF 4lb hammer. Hey, sometimes they make something that will not break at a good price.

Attach the vise grips to the axle. The vise grip may slide so if there is a ridge, attach it before the ridge. Where the boot seals is a good place, but you will have to 'fix' and gouges you put on the surface. The boots we use are rubber and it would probably seal, but the plastic ones [other manufacturers] would probably leak if you do not prepare the surface. Make certain it's as tight as you can get it.

You need to take the wheel off [duh] and the lower ball joint [so you do not screw up the alignment] on a Mk1. Leave the CV joint bolted to the hub. When you pull out the knuckle a bit, it would not hurt to put some type of block to prevent the knuckle from going in toward the transmission.

Now that the knuckle is supported, take a long bar. Size matters a lot. You want something solid. Something you can hit with a large hammer. The size of the hammer and bar matters because you want to hit the vise grip with enough force to push the axle out of the CV joint. I you ever have used a slide hammer, it's similar. A large slide hammer will remove most anything. I cannot stress bigger is better. You need to send enough force to impact that axle out.

Since the CV joint is pushed out a bit, there is enough movement of the axle that will not damage the inner joint. You certainly do not want to have this axle bottomed out in the inner CV joint. That is why you pull out the knuckle first and secure it.

You want to hit it as straight as possible. The more of an angle, the more force will be put in the wrong area. You cannot get a straight shot because you have the rotor/caliper, knuckle, etc in the way. The length of the bar should exceed the hub.

Once the axle is out of the joint, then unbolt the joint. If you are just replacing the boot, you can do that without unbolting the joint.

I sure hopes this is easier to understand. I have never had an axle not come off. I use this often on BMW's since their boots seem to fail more often.

#598 ·
I do not want to think that fuel prices are a scam. It's a supply and demand thing and I am all for Capitalism. Warts and all.

I do know that local taxes really take a toll on the price. I believe Washington State is one of the highest fuel tax of all the states.

It is amazing how just a few miles down the road it's so much different. Also amazing how 10 miles less per hour changes the consumption. I know riding bicycles, it takes a lot more power to get just a couple miles an hour faster.

#108 ·

It was harder to start from stuck piston rings.

What’s badass now is at the same throttle position.
It makes much more boost.
Much less blow by.

Before. Mokoosh can attest.
When u went full bore all u could smell was blow by lol.
Probably took a few years off my life.

I have my variable turbo so it’s kinda nice if I DO have a low power situation. I can always pull the turbo further shut and essentially increasss my compression.

I could probably find more power changing the injection timing.

But to hell with touching that.
It fires RIGHT up. Don’t even hear the starter.
Almost no smoke at WOT.

I used to have to push my throttle down on the highway and it would start actuating the turbo.

Now it has so much more snappy power off boost that I don’t even get into the turbo.
But it still makes more boost than it did before.

With the turbo wide open it used to do like 2.5-3 psi.
Now it does over 4.

My turbo also used to take a couple miles to “warm up” it’s a China turbo not so easy to turn with your fingers but has no play and burns no oil....
And once she’s warm she makes full boost.

Mother of god I want to know what this setup is like with a REAL garret turbo.
Maybe a vnt17

In my dreams a 17/22

That would potentially DOUbLE my power.

That’s why I love this rig.

Also. Don’t ever fall in love with a woman whose best friend is her ex.

Peace have a great weekend brothers

#111 ·
I just wanted to say I saw your message.
I appreciate the offer

I should take you up on it.

But I am continuing my existential crisis now that my ex made me move out before lease in February.

I moved from a house to a room in a house.

I will be packing up again here again shortly.

I appreciate it brothers.

1500miles of straight into commuting after my new pistons and rods.

Not even the slightest issue.
But whatever comes.
Cant be more ****ed up than what I’ve already overcome.

If only I could hold onto this feeling.

Hope you all have great days as spring time comes on.

This year shall be far more epic than those preceding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#122 ·
Thanks for the reply’s brothers!
I oft dreamt of a homestead of my own.
But how the last 7 years has played out… I could have had one if I didn’t have utter faith in the person I was essentially dedicating my life to.
However, in the crazy complex world we live in it might be much more pleasant working towards betterment of another’s homestead.
This I fully support.

As for being back in Ohio, I don’t foresee that. For as many different kinds of difficult problems to explain.
Sigh.

But you know what. If you treat your mk1 well just enough it might be there for you long after many years past when you considered you would make it yourself.
And that is at least one beautiful camaraderie we benefit from our rediculous our already advanced civilization.

Deadinside: replied to your burnt toast revival thread.

#141 ·
Lol Seomobster ;p

got all 5 done.
that was some hard ass work changing these tires. Right as I’m gettin the hand of it lol.
These are some killer tires.
perfect clearance all around. No rubbing.
they are slightly narrower and taller.
I bet I’ll get better mpg and it should add 3-4mph to my speed vs rpm.

Sucks Cody didn’t have 14” wheels.
The won’t fit how it’s slammed.
but
there’s a brand new 185/60 r14 here now.

still to do: ball joint and cv joint.
and alignment check.

was fun cleaning cv joint grease from the wheel
: D

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

#146 ·
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Seeing toast and someone else set up a mTDI ahu made me remember and appreciate the ZILLION things I’ve done that have refined my setup
…either avoid potential problems

or makes them impossible to cause issue all together.

oh, and DeadInside.

look at my smoke screw ;p

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Rim

there’s no threads sticking out. At all
sucks I didn’t get to show you what’s up with MY rig and my VNT
👹

#156 ·

No rubbing.

Omfg it rides so nice

I love it! You mounted the mini knoll in the meadow.

Damn, it's good to be a country boy!

Reactions: fastinradford
#160 ·

Not often have a good view.

For your viewing pleasure
My upside down Dodge Grand Caravan rear engine mount.

It’s nice to look back at what you built
Like damn I built that?

Down pipe is painted with header paint,
Then wrapped with header heat wrap.
Then wrapped with aluminum hvac tape.
Then painted THAT with header paint.

And I tell you what.
Serious performance increase in turbo spool.
And it looks like I just did it.

I love heat wrap. It has very noticeable performance increases on vw diesel.

But I dispise the tiny (asbestos) fibers that will come off of them over time.

#165 ·
Hard won battle!

Had to find just the right bolt.
Had to be 17mm so works with lug wrench.
Had to be able to thread entirely by hand.

The tire actually tucks into the rear kick pan lol.

Doesn’t touch the exhaust.
Couldn’t possibly fit a larger spare without redoing exhaust.

Beautiful.

#177 ·
Highly recommend a dog friend.

But be prepared it’s not easy or short.

When I got her I was a teenager and spent Countless hours training her to you want to understand humans.
Trying to understand her own unique entity.

But having a friend who wants to do anything and go anywhere anytime u want.
Is priceless.

It can also reflect parts of your own life better or worse. Just like a car.
My brother in law got puppy same time as me but smoked cigs like crazy and poor puppy had horrible cancerous death years ago.

But a friend. Always down for a ride.
Always down for a RUN.
Even when it snows into their face.
They only love you More.

Wheel Tire Plant Car Dog

Trunk Wood Tree Gesture Twig

Sky Plant Dog Tree Larch

Good thing DeadInside decided to split or he might be shivering to death this very morning.

#218 ·
No matter what, it's pretty impressive how well a newer diesel runs and how they did remove all that black smoke out the back. There was a time in the 70's-80's when the gas engine went through the same learning curve. Nothing worked early on. At some point, they really started to make them clean and reliable.

Car diesels are dead. There is just not enough time to figure out all the controls to make them reliable. Gas engines are on their way out too. Most companies are making end of life plans.

I was doing some diagnosis several years ago and one of the tests was to check the tail pipe for black soot. I thought WTF, it's a diesel, of course it had soot. I took my finger and rubbed the inside of the tail pipe. Low and behold, no dirty finger. Hate the newer diesels or not, that is pretty impressive. I ended up taking the exhaust after the DPF and sure enough, the inside of the pipe was like new.

I missed the mark on the turbo controller. If you want yours manual, fine. If I could, I would have it automatic. Properly tuned for every throttle application without me thinking about it. Kinda like an O2 sensor. It constantly adjusts the fuel mixture to be right in every situation.

I've got better things to do with my hands while driving. It's hard enough holding my Big Gulp, shifting the transmission, making phone calls, and driving. :p

#255 ·
I'm not certain why you want my input on intercoolers. I don't think mainstream on most everything.

I would get a liquid intercooler. Why? There is just not enough space in front of a Rabbit. Sure, you could make space but I like a look of a car that is tastefully done. Seeing huge intercoolers and tubes sticking out of a grill [Subaru tuned cars] does not appeal to me. Again, that is just me.

I like A/C so I would have that tied into the intercooler system somehow. I know, the drag of the A/C would kill any additional hp that the cooler air 'may' have. Yes, you are right but the A/C will already be on.

What liquid intercooler? Laminova intercooler. Certainly not off the shelf. I have three new cores in my stash.

Intercooler radiator? Mercedes makes a nice one that fits an S65, perfect dimensions to fit in front of the Rabbit radiator and condenser. If it is good for 600hp+, it will be fine for my wants. I also have one in my stash.

Intercooler pump? What's wrong with the one that Mercedes uses? Good for AMG, good enough for me. Also, because I have one in my stash.

I would try and make it as compact as possible. Keep the intake tract short for a faster response. Easier on the eyes when you look under the hood. Should look stock on the outside too. I want it to be the same footprint as a stock intake manifold.

Are their disadvantages on this set up? Yeah, but just like the gas, diesel, and battery camps, they all have their good and bad traits.

I'm not a drag racer, I do not tow, and I do not need a turbo to get me moving. Just a quick boost of power to get to freeway speeds and to tackle a few hills on my travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.