VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sachs clutches for 020

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  thegave 
#1 · (Edited)
Kind of a dumb question but hoping someone call run me through all the various Sachs clutch options for the 020 box, past and present. I'm getting very confused between the OE replacement kits, Sachs Sport kits, and SRE/racing kits.

For brevity's sake let's say I'm only interested in 210mm setups and 8v disks.

So to start, there's:

Stock OE replacement
Sachs Sport Kit
Sachs Power Clutch disk only
Sachs Power Clutch kit - the same? Which PP?
Sachs SRE Kit

And then there's this mystical Sachs 3000 960 701 kit that's been discontinued, but nowhere can I find any actual specs for it. Is it the kit that the power clutch disc, linked above, used to come from?

#2 · (Edited)
Gave some of your links no workie anymore. FWIW when I pulled my Callaway Turbo Gti apart a few weeks ago I found this.

I Googled F&S 881861999707 as stamped and get "Fichtel and Sachs performance 210mm. ~185Ft/Lbs (250Nm)". I assume the flywheel is stock unit from 1984 Gti.

I hear these Sachs kits are not what they used be quality wise and I'll be shopping for a new one so interested in what the current technology is! Looks like the SRE kit would be a good
upgrade as long as it doesn't put too much pressure on the firewall cable pivot point which are prone to breakage if pressure is too high.

-edit- looks like this disc I have is actually the same part number of the disc in the "SRE kit" you listed which the description says-
“Sachs Race Engineering SACHS Performance Clutch Kit - OE 027198141X Item number: 999616.999707”

#4 · (Edited)
Hey Derrick, I ended up getting the 3000 960 701 kit from some dark corner of the internet. Autotech cleaned up their inventory which is probably why the first few links died. I then ordered the "reinforced" pressure plate 883082.999616 directly from Sachs. What I really want is the 883082.999606 pressure plate, which is the same but made of some lightweight alloy specifically for VWMS way back when.

I never figured out how the 3000960701 kit differs to the SRE kit, if at all. I should have recorded the part numbers before I had it installed... I still have the pressure plate that I've been trying to sell forever. But with the reinforced pressure plate, the clutch is certainly a workout. The German-built Rabbits have different pedal clusters so I don't know if they are prone to the same clutch guide weakness that Westys suffer but other than the pedal weight I have no complaints about my setup so far. 250nm is the highest rating Sachs makes so if your friction disk and pressure plate look good and it wasn't slipping, I would be inclined to just keep running it.

Sorry I don't know how I missed your prior post.

Here's an informative thread comparing the Sachs options.. The *616 pressure plate boosts clamping pressure to 295Nm, vs the 250 that your existing kit holds. But Sachs has traditionally been conservative in its ratings. At my last dyno I put down 145 ft lbs at 12 psi, so the standard SRE cover plate should be more than sufficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.