New to me: Purple 993. - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
      Banned
      Your journey/car was my morning read and it's threads like these that keep me coming to tcl. Love everything about your grimace purp 993

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Italian View Post
      It breaks my heart to see her so

you need this

You're right - I need something! I've been chasing fencing contractors for the last couple of weeks to organise a set of gates. This will give me the ability to leave via the land behind my house. It'll also be easier to organise landscaping once I have rear-access.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmayy View Post
      Your journey/car was my morning read and it's threads like these that keep me coming to tcl. Love everything about your grimace purp 993
      Thanks Timmayy! I'll continue to update with progress and news.

So here's the latest!

I bogged the car on a Wednesday night and I had about 20-30 minutes to get unstuck before it got too dark. I tried again on Thursday night. I got some traction on the left side but then started to slip on the right. By the time I realised I'd already dug another rut - and then it was too dark.

A friend offered to bring over his 4WD and winch on Saturday, but I gave it another shot on Friday night and managed to break it free. A few days warmth, some wooden chocks and a bit of luck really helped.

As I cleared the rut I slowly started to reverse towards my garage. I reached over to adjust the mirrors so I wouldn't hit my dogs kennel or the patio but they were frozen stuck - still pointing at my rear wheels. I had a panicked moment because I didn't want to slow down (for fear of getting bogged again) but I couldn't see where I was going. Luckily I cleared the obstacles and made it into the garage.

I gave it a wash - removed the mud from the mirrors and drove it for a few days while the MK4 was being repaired. It really makes the MK4's steering feel like utter garbage.

I've also been experimenting with an airbrush (on a spare fuel flap) with the eventual plan to respray my spoiler. I don't expect it to be perfect but I want to make it passable until I get some body-work done.

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this? I know that I'll need to sand off the flaking paint before I start. Should I then prime it? Or will it be OK to spray over the sanded and prepped base colour?

Thanks guys!
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

I normally sand away to the base primer and then paint from there. However you should be able to just sand to the base paint and then re-apply the base coat before doing the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      I normally sand away to the base primer and then paint from there. However you should be able to just sand to the base paint and then re-apply the base coat before doing the clear.
      Thanks TDM!
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

I like to sand it all smooth, prime the whole part and start from there. No surprises or subtle imperfections later on. Much more important when dealing with metallic paints.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Italian View Post
      It breaks my heart to see her so

you need this

I wonder if some 12"x12" patio stones, set at a regular interval, would do the trick cheaply instead? Something like this?

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      I like to sand it all smooth, prime the whole part and start from there. No surprises or subtle imperfections later on. Much more important when dealing with metallic paints.
      Agreed for metal, starting there then making sure a good bond with primer and blocking the primer out then a tinted primer coat then final base / base & clear was how I learned to do it. Time and prep is what makes or breaks a paint job for sure. When I did my Corrado it had a been cleared in sections/other paint was laid down. I went all the way down to metal on that and worked up from there, took forever but was worth the effort without a doubt to ensure no flaking/lifting/rust.

Great thread and it was fun reading it from the start. Congrats!

Crappy wiring is terribly frustrating but having a great sound system is also really rewarding. The driver's side speaker wasn't working when I first got my MR2 so I just raised the volume to compensate...yeah that didn't last long.

Do you have any engine pics?

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I wonder if some 12"x12" patio stones, set at a regular interval, would do the trick cheaply instead? Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...7abf20_400.jpg
      That's not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Agreed for metal, starting there then making sure a good bond with primer and blocking the primer out then a tinted primer coat then final base / base & clear was how I learned to do it. Time and prep is what makes or breaks a paint job for sure. When I did my Corrado it had a been cleared in sections/other paint was laid down. I went all the way down to metal on that and worked up from there, took forever but was worth the effort without a doubt to ensure no flaking/lifting/rust.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Cool I might end up removing the spoiler, but it needs a coat of paint for now. Thanks both for your tips.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Great thread and it was fun reading it from the start. Congrats!

Crappy wiring is terribly frustrating but having a great sound system is also really rewarding. The driver's side speaker wasn't working when I first got my MR2 so I just raised the volume to compensate...yeah that didn't last long.

Do you have any engine pics?
      Thanks Almost all of the writing I've done for the last 15 years has been work reports so hopefully this isn't too dry or clunky.

As for the stereo, I've adjusted the EQ and it's a bit better - It has bass but the headunit has to go. I'd love the Porsche classic unit, but it's pretty expensive and the nav doesn't work in Australia.

Here's the best I have of the engine.

Oh - I found this on ebay! I was hoping that I could recreate some of the photographs with my car, but they're pretty boring. Modern magazines have spoilt me!

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post
      Thanks Almost all of the writing I've done for the last 15 years has been work reports so hopefully this isn't too dry or clunky.
      Seeing how you've annotated your pics for this thread, I can tell you've done lots of reports and it's not dry at all.

I wrote a post-test report once and the manager told me he didn't like it and asked me to make it "more dry."

Anyway, I haven't had a new car in a while where there's not much to update and reading this kinda makes me want to tinker with the Cayman...I'll live vicariously through you for now.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Seeing how you've annotated your pics for this thread, I can tell you've done lots of reports and it's not dry at all.

I wrote a post-test report once and the manager told me he didn't like it and asked me to make it "more dry."

Anyway, I haven't had a new car in a while where there's not much to update and reading this kinda makes me want to tinker with the Cayman...I'll live vicariously through you for now.
      Heh

I would have bought a Cayman if there was enough room for my dog. Tinker away and post pics!

So I'm still trying to diagnose the drain to the battery. I think I cured a few things with the new stereo harness. The sunroof now requires "accessory" power before it will open (bonus!), but the power seats still have power at all times. The reverse lights used to stay on sometimes too (parked in R - key out) but I don't think that's happened for a while.

My next issue is the tachometer. When I turn off the engine, the tacho will drop to 2-600RPM. If I return the key to accessory - the tacho will then drop to zero.

I thought it may have been getting some sort of signal from the ignition switch. On Sunday night I returned the car to storage. I removed the key and the tacho was reading about 600RPM. I then removed the battery and the tacho was still on 600.

That's odd. Stiction in the needle maybe?

Or maybe that's the secret stealth mode (engine's still on but you can't hear it).

That's not a bad idea.

Cool I might end up removing the spoiler, but it needs a coat of paint for now. Thanks both for your tips.

As for the stereo, I've adjusted the EQ and it's a bit better - It has bass but the headunit has to go. I'd love the Porsche classic unit, but it's pretty expensive and the nav doesn't work in Australia.

Here's the best I have of the engine.

Oh - I found this on ebay! I was hoping that I could recreate some of the photographs with my car, but they're pretty boring. Modern magazines have spoilt me!

They thought they knew "cheaper" til the 996 came out!
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)
      Gone Mk6 Golf GTI 3-Door DSG (APR Stage 1+, APR CAI, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Revolver1966 View Post
      They thought they knew "cheaper" til the 996 came out!

I'm wondering if there are any german speakers who might be able to help me with my other Porsche.

I've been restoring a Porsche FS Evolution MTB over the past year or two. It's now Gulf spec and almost done - aside from the front fork which leaks badly. I spent a few months chasing down a seal kit. When it finally arrived, I realised that my fork is a lost cause so I began searching for a replacement.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...25719-217-7118

I found one on ebay de - (Cached link above - might not work) and sent a few emails to the seller. We agreed on a price and I sent him funds via paypal.

Then it went quiet. I waited a few days for him to acknowledge payment. Nothing. So I asked for an update/tracking number. Unfortunately, he doesn't speak English and I don't speak German.

Hallo habe gerade ärger mit der Ausfuhr muss morgen zum zoll da dieser gebühren möchte sollten diese anfallen werde ich ihnen das ganze geld zurück bezahlen da der zoll nochmals 10% des kauf betrag haben möchte und der Aufwand hierfür nicht lohnt.
      Melde mich morgen abend dann nochmal mit sendungsnummer oder eben der Rückzahlung.
      Grüße aus Deutschland

Google translate says:
      Hi just anger with the export must tomorrow for duty because this charge would be incurred should this I'm all money to repay them because of the duty for another 10 % of the purchase amount would have and not worth the effort for this .
      Register me tomorrow night then again with broadcast number or order the repayment .
      Greetings from Germany

Other online translators aren't much better. Can anyone clarify exactly what he's saying? If there are legitimate export costs, I'm happy to pay them but I don't want to be scammed.

I never knew this color existed on a 993. I'm in love. I think it surpasses the yellow targa I've always dreamt of!

Hallo habe gerade ärger mit der Ausfuhr muss morgen zum zoll da dieser gebühren möchte sollten diese anfallen werde ich ihnen das ganze geld zurück bezahlen da der zoll nochmals 10% des kauf betrag haben möchte und der Aufwand hierfür nicht lohnt.
      Melde mich morgen abend dann nochmal mit sendungsnummer oder eben der Rückzahlung.
      Grüße aus Deutschland

Google translate says:
      Hi just anger with the export must tomorrow for duty because this charge would be incurred should this I'm all money to repay them because of the duty for another 10 % of the purchase amount would have and not worth the effort for this .
      Register me tomorrow night then again with broadcast number or order the repayment .
      Greetings from Germany

Other online translators aren't much better. Can anyone clarify exactly what he's saying? If there are legitimate export costs, I'm happy to pay them but I don't want to be scammed.
      My resident German interns in the office gave me this nice translation:

Hi,

I have a few problem with the export. Custom wants extra fee. If I have to pay hem, I will pay back the entire money amount. Custom request another 10% on top of the purchase price which will be more expenses than profit for me. I will contact you tomorrow night with an update and either the tracking number for the shipment or the reimbursement.

Best regards from Germany

If you need help I'd gladly have them translate a reply
      2002 Jetta GLS Reflex Silver still 2.slooooow

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      I never knew this color existed on a 993. I'm in love. I think it surpasses the yellow targa I've always dreamt of!
      It's definitely a love it or hate it colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasrsktr View Post
      My resident German interns in the office gave me this nice translation:

Hi,

I have a few problem with the export. Custom wants extra fee. If I have to pay hem, I will pay back the entire money amount. Custom request another 10% on top of the purchase price which will be more expenses than profit for me. I will contact you tomorrow night with an update and either the tracking number for the shipment or the reimbursement.

Best regards from Germany

If you need help I'd gladly have them translate a reply
      Legend! TCL Delivers. Thanks Lasrsktr. It's kind of what I thought he was saying, but much easier to comprehend. I've sent him a quick email back saying I still want it.

993 update - we're heading to the German auto day in Canberra this weekend. I'll post some pics when I return.

I made it to the show! I left work at 2 on Saturday and arrived in Canberra at about 530. I caught up with a mate and went to dinner, then washed the car and checked into the hotel at 10. The hotel car park was full so I had to park in the unsecured airport carpark. Not ideal, but nothing happened to the car.

There were about 300 cars were on display and the German ambassador attended which was pretty cool. The weather was pretty crappy but it was still a good show. Anyway, here's some Porsche photos from the show. Other brands here

I got home about 5 on Sunday.

Big weekend! I'm now officially on the hunt for parts to install cruise control.

OK! Time for an update!

I found a set of cruise control parts on rennlist - Everything except for the wiring. The internets opinion was that the car would already have wiring in place, so I removed the steering wheel, front seats, airbox and heater to try and find the harness.

No luck, but this was under the seats.

Porsche only sell the complete wiring harness for the car, so I might have to search wreckers or ebay for a used one. I'm not looking forward to routing it.

Servicing!
      I went for a driver training day at Phillip Island (not in the Porsche) and I took the opportunity to get the car serviced in Melbourne. The workshop was really helpful and they replaced the belts plus the clutch slave cylinder and a hose. My initial "fix" was to clean and lube the master cylinder and pedal assembly. This reduced the frequency of the problem, but their work has made a huge difference. The pedal is much lighter and smoother. I've got a lot more confidence when accelerating from a stop. I thought the pedal was meant to be heavy and it's much nicer to drive now.

If the problem returns then I'll get the master cylinder and kinematic clutch lever replaced.

Sadly, they found a bit of rust in one of the heat exchangers and there's play in one of the suspension links. They didn't give me a price, but I'm not looking forward to fixing them.

I also got to catch up with a mate while I was in Melbourne. I've never driven an M3 and he'd never driven a Porsche so we had a little fun learning about each others cars.

Throttle response in the M3 is amazing and the howl from the exhaust was lovely. The steering was razor sharp too. It didn't feel ~50hp faster than the 911 but it was much snapper down low.

I can't believe how big the M3 is compared to the Porsche. The cabin feels about 50% larger. It was also weird to think there's only 6 years difference between them. So many more features. luxury and improved ergonomics and design in the M.

Anyway, the trip went well and the car didn't miss a beat. More updates when I have something to report

I got the car tinted today. The rear window lets in a lot of sun so this should keep it a little cooler.

And a work in progress . . .

I'm looking at getting it thickened and recovered in black leather. I've got a MK4 R32 wheel in my Golf so I want something like that. I'm tempted to go for carbon fibre, but then I'd need other CF parts throughout the cabin.

I've also found this page which gives tips on how to restore single stage paint. I hope to detail the car over the Christmas holidays but none of the local car shops have Meguairs #7.

No luck on the cruise control wiring harness hunt but I haven't given up.
      Last edited by YellowDieselGolf; 12-15-2016 at 02:55 PM.

neat. i think the steering wheel would look good simply over wrapping it with black leather with the black horn button.

1.) I love your 993, if you ever want to get rid of it please IM me.

2.) I would check out Dallas Custom Steering Wheel, they're very reasonable and they will custom make a wheel and horn pad per your specifications. Thicker pad, thumb pads, stitching, etc. You can have them make it completely stock or something of your own design. Here's a thick pad 996 wheel w/leather, perf leather and red stitching (as an example.)

Quote Originally Posted by sullie View Post

2.) I would check out Dallas Custom Steering Wheel, they're very reasonable and they will custom make a wheel and horn pad per your specifications. Thicker pad, thumb pads, stitching, etc. You can have them make it completely stock or something of your own design. Here's a thick pad 996 wheel w/leather, perf leather and red stitching (as an example.)

You do realize OP is in Australia.
      Something witty will be in this exact spot soon.

Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      neat. i think the steering wheel would look good simply over wrapping it with black leather with the black horn button.
      I wouldn't mind a coloured 12 o'clock marker, but that's probably a bit too RS/track-car for the rest of the car. I'll probably go plain black or black and carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by sullie View Post

1.) Thanks! It's a love it or hate it colour. Someone on another forum said they didn't like it and they'd get it vinyl wrapped. In white.

2.) Dallas steering wheel looks pretty good! They've got a lot of samples on their website. I might have to send them an email.

Thanks for the tip! They've got a few wheels listed on their site which look

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      You do realize OP is in Australia.
      The "I bought a 911 from Australia and am driving it to the US" thread would be epic

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast