VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Colors and Options- What would you like to see made available?

113K views 409 replies 181 participants last post by  cannolli 
#1 ·
Let's put our product planning shoes on for a second.

The other day, I was chatting with some dealer friends about VW's current package/trim level vs. options strategy. Namely, the inability to have cloth seats AND a sunroof, which we'd want to spec, should we find ourselves signing papers on a new GTI.

As of right now on VW.com, the only options available on a Golf GTI SE are Driver Assistance, Lighting Pack, Transmission, and a host of Volkswagen accessories. But that's it.

So, pretend you've been promoted to Golf/Golf GTI Product Planner at VWoA. Congrats, you earned it.

What components of certain trim levels would you like to see become standalone options? Would you buy a base car with leather and no sunroof? Conversely, would you buy an SE with cloth?

As a bonus question, which (if any) colors would you like to see added to the Golf/Golf GTI's palate? Would it be something legacy (ex. Black Magic or Mulberry), current but from other product (like the Golf R's Lapiz Blue Metallic or Beetle's Habañero Orange Metallic) or something else entirely?

See less See more
#55 ·
I would happily take a non-s Clubsport. I presume that VW is too egotistical to actually give the NA market the same car as the EU market. The lack of options and care towards the possible enthusiast market here is quite frustrating. It's almost like they aren't interested in our business.

I have $30k for a hopped up GTI with not sunroof or super comfort options. Where are you VWNA?

#60 ·
I think its an ongoing joke now at VWHQ in Wolfsburg.... "Lets fvuck ze stupid Americans! No Scirocco, No GTI Clubsport! No Golf R Variant (Even though we unveiled it in LA) No Euro Passat!! Nein Nein Nein!!"

Pretty sure we are the number 1 market for the GTI, if anyone should get the clubsport, its the US..... smdh

#56 ·
On TSI 2/4 door models...R styling option (2/4 door), heated leatherette seating option (2 door), and standard fog/corner lights.

#62 ·
Memory Seats

Everyone is making good points about the need for more color options, cloth (plaid) interiors, sunroof, wheels, etc. But, how about memory seats? My wife and I are of quite differing stature and she doesn't want to get in my 2010 Golf TDI because of the manual seat adjustment! She likes to drive it but doesn't like getting in and out of it! As a dealer told me, memory seats are only available in the Passat and up. Maybe memory seats could be an after-market installation?

#63 ·
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I would've loved to see something similar to a 20th Anniversary GTI we got back in 2003 (maybe a 35th AE in the future??)
Limited colors, different front and rear bumpers or valences, side skirts and of course the Recaro seats.

If Jazz Blue was available for a color for this year, I would have been all over that, but settling for Pure White or Night Blue for now.

#64 ·
It's June! Custom order please!

So it's June. Here are some other ideas for options.

A slightly darker shade of silver like the Florett Audi Silver or the Ice Silver that they used to offer. The color is just a slightly darker shade which would be closer to the old Diamond Silver Metallic that the GTI was originally offered in.

Auto-dimming side-view convex mirrors.

No soundaktor. Just keep it and I'll even pay you for the "opportunity" for you to not install it.

Front lighting package lights with the red stripe but with LEDs like the Golf R has. I would pay a few hundred on top of the lighting package for that from the factory.

#65 ·
Here's mine! Golf Variant Highline

United Gray w/ Volcano Tan interior & R-line exterior pkg.

#66 ·
The memory seats are a great idea. My other vehicles have them and they're terrific. Fully electric adjustments on the cloth seats are sorely missed also.

The cloth seats were a must for me, so I missed out on numerous options I prefer on my vehicles. I would like to have been able to get the cloth seats, fully power adjustable, push button start, sunroof, Fender audio system, HID headlights, proximity key so you can just open a locked door as long as they key fob is in your pocket, and a power hatch (which I don't think is offered in any trim).

Rook

#70 ·
I'm ready to buy now and I'm hearing odd things about the 2017 order guide like no more Performance Package. If VW wants some money, they should really really consider offering build-to-order options.

Put me in for a 2-door S PP manual with DCC and Fender. I'll pay VW... make good on that whole Mexican manufacturing means more options for USA.

#73 · (Edited)
#75 ·
I'd personally like to see either leather be a standalone option or for there to be some better trim pieces. To get all the options I want means getting an Autobahn, which means leather seats, which means an endlessly dour and monochrome interior. The plaid seats bring so much life to the cabin that without them it's just bleak. I'd be fine with the leather if it came with some aluminum or plaid trim inserts to break up the sea of black that is the dash.

#76 ·
Lighting package option on all trim levels
6MT option on all trim levels
REAL colors, not just a full spectrum from white-silver-grey-black with tornado red thrown in for sh!ts and grins

My dream: Golf R Sportwagen in suzuka grey with express red interior, 6MT, pano, lighting, DAP

#80 ·
Same Boring Colors, Year after Year after Year

I would buy a new GTI very quickly if only they would offer some decent colors, instead of the same old ****e they have been offering every farking year. Arrgghh. How about taking a chance VW, like you used to do.

The only color I would even consider, is white. Non color. Says a lot doesn't it. And don't bring out the new "R" in that same blue from 2004. Please. Do something different again. Like you used to.

-R

#82 ·
1st Off Offer some type of flash tuning and mods that are covered under warranty!!!!

Sticking your head in the sand is never a good idea... capitalize on it.

Force dealers to facilitate those upgrades at FIXED Installed costs.

Then add some fun and varied colors:

Jazz Blue

My old car...

Imola Yellow

Some Type of Orange

Some type of cool gray