VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Front license plates

48K views 76 replies 34 participants last post by  phil123 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I bought my new Atlas SE with technology FWD 3 weeks ago in CA. License plates arrived last week.

There are no front license plates brackets in the car. Also, the manual says that I should keep the area below the VW symbol clear (including a portion of the front bumper where you'd instinctively put the front license plates), because of all the sensors in the car (front assist).

I'd like to know what you guys are doing to affix the license plates to your Atlases. Specifically:
1. where are you putting it?
2. are you drilling into the bumper? Did anyone find a no-drill option?
3. If you have an SE with technology or above, did you have any issue with the front assist sensors?
4. Any general recommendations for someone who's never installed license plates by themselves? (I know - lame, but I came from a state where you'd drive out of the dealer's lot with the license plates already installed for you ;))

Thanks!

See less See more
#67 ·
Not this time!

OK, the Touareg ploy did not work. The space between the towing eye and the bodywork on the Touareg is much smaller than the Atlas. So now, since I've been investigating this and am usually like a dog with a bone, I'm working on using the towing eye, after cutting and tapping one, so I can bolt a bracket to it, to make my own license plate mount. I will not drill holes in my bumper... I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: SBBeetle
#2 ·
I have a SEL and my dealer put the front plate on for me. I didn't look closely to see exactly how they did it, but after reading that same part of the manual I was slightly concerned. However, in practice I've seen zero problems with the plate mounted there. Honestly, I don't know where else you could really put it. Seemed strange to me that they blocked out such a large box in that illustration though.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, utsava. It really is a big chunk of the bumper that they say you're not supposed to block.
Could you take a look when you get a chance to see if they drilled into the bumper? I know I will probably have no other choice than drilling, but I'm already dreading that moment...

#4 ·
Front plate Mounting

I also had the plates put on by the dealer, and they mounted them in the area that is not to be blocked according to the manual. However, as utsava says, no problems in practice. The Front Assist works (I've seen the symbols displaying correctly on the dash); the lane keeping assist also works as before (I believe those cameras are mounted on the rear view mirror housing). The only thing I have not tried is the Adaptive Cruise Control. That transmitter is mounted behind the VW logo on the grill, and is the reason the manual wants you to keep the front bumper clean. If mud, ice, or snow accumulate in that area, it could build up enough to obstruct the ACC radar transmitter. I don't think there's anything behind the bumper that you would block by putting a license plate there.
Yes, they drilled into the bumper to mount the license plate. Sorry.

#5 ·
I also had the plates put on by the dealer, and they mounted them in the area that is not to be blocked according to the manual. However, as utsava says, no problems in practice. The Front Assist works (I've seen the symbols displaying correctly on the dash); the lane keeping assist also works as before (I believe those cameras are mounted on the rear view mirror housing). The only thing I have not tried is the Adaptive Cruise Control. That transmitter is mounted behind the VW logo on the grill, and is the reason the manual wants you to keep the front bumper clean. If mud, ice, or snow accumulate in that area, it could build up enough to obstruct the ACC radar transmitter. I don't think there's anything behind the bumper that you would block by putting a license plate there.
Yes, they drilled into the bumper to mount the license plate. Sorry.
Yes, definitely agree there's probably nothing in there that would interfere with the ACC, and they're probably just being overly cautious. Even in promo images they've put the license plates where you're "not supposed to".

In any case, since I'll be doing this myself, not by the dealer, it doesn't hurt to be cautious - especially because CA gives us 90 days to put the license plates. Can you let me know if ACC is working fine? Thanks!

#9 ·
I read your post and freaked out because I bought my Atlas yesterday but forgot to ask if it had a front license plate bracket because I hate them and unless you live in Santa Monica you're very unlikely to get a fix it ticket for not having one. Luckily when I picked it up,this morning my Atlas was bracketless so heart attack averted! If you really want a front plate I would just take it to the dealer and they'll do it for you.

#16 ·
You're not worried about blocking airflow to that lower radiator? (Or maybe your model doesn't have that? Hard to tell in the photo.)

For cars with park assist, that location will cover the camera and maybe interfere with the sensors.

Here's the stock mount. I'd rather not have it, but it's not awful.

#18 ·
I was worried about that radiator, but at the same time... I reaaaally didn't want to drill the bumper, so just decided to give it a shot and see what happens. So far nothing wrong.

My car doesn't have park assist, but if it had, then yes, that location wouldn't be possible at all.

Thanks for the picture of the stock mount. It really doesn't look bad. If my set up starts interfering with that radiator then I'll have to go for it.

#17 ·
Had my front plate mount installed last week at dealership

In California it's required :(
It doesn't look too bad... But as I was inspecting the install, I noticed louvres that I can manually move at the lower grill. I didn't look too closely at that time... but I think it is able to be closed by a servo motor???

#27 ·
They don't drill it right into the bumper do they??? I am in VA and pick up mine tomorrow...coming from PA where they don't use a front plate.

#34 ·
Picked mine up today. The stock mount drilled in is fine. No issue here. It is unlikely that I will live in a state that doesn't require a f. plate.

#36 ·
Taking Off Front License Plate Holder

I forgot to ask the dealer to now install the fold license plate holder. It looks to be held in with the pop-out plug inserts. I thought to get them out you pushed the middle hole hard and they popped out enough to pull out. That doesn't seem to be working. Am I doing it right or am I missing something?

#38 ·
Pissed! Just realized (after a lot of looking and finally measuring it) that my dealer got the f. plate bracket off-center...it's only 1/4" but you can see it if you look. I *hope* that I have room to re-drill it in the center...ain't no way I'm having them do it. Bummed.

#42 ·
I'm just glad my dealer has a standing order to not drill front bumpers on any of their cars. I'm on my 3rd purchase, from them, and no drilled front bumpers. They'll zip tie them on, per the owner's request.

And they won't put the dealer name on the rear, neither. :D. Must be with that specific dealership only, but their other dealerships (other brands) will have their names plastered on the rear. LOL.

#44 · (Edited)
In reply to KarstGeo: I wasn't planning on doing anything with them. This is also the first time I have had to deal with a front plate removal. I don't know what to expect when I take it off and how big the holes will be.

Mod: would have been nice to have been told my thread was moved to this one. I have now deleted my reply and now reposted it.

#45 ·
I looked at mine today; yes, it looks like those push-type fasteners rather than screws into drilled holes. I was nervous messing with it and mine needs to move 1/4" to the d. side. I may have to just bite it and have the dealer do it when it goes in for an oil change at 5K or a recall/warranty work. I need to get just see what I am dealing with in terms of the holes and how close they are to the edges of hte plate when I move it over the 1/4" Measure twice cut once!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.