VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My...Uh..Not really a build thread.

156K views 1K replies 82 participants last post by  01 
#1 · (Edited)
So about a year ago, I decided to liquidate all of my VW bits. After so many, and a lack of time because of work and family I figured it was time to be done tinkering.

This car sat on a local classifieds for about 6 months just taunting me, many a times I simply passed over it when friends suggested I buy it. The car was brought to Utah, tinkered on, and driven casually by the previous owner, but not much was changed.

After reading aeffertz's build thread a dozen times, reviewing every detail and going over it in my head I decided it had to be mine to "finish"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5630936-Alex-s-Rabbit-Project-Take-Two

--

So here it is, almost exactly as it was left....

The Good

• Almost exactly as Alex left it
  • Running and driving

The Bad

• Paint issues (chips, dings, polishing burn, deep scratch on the hatch, etc.)
  • Oil Leak (Valve Cover)
  • Cool bits were sold (moroso, scientific rabbit manifold, etc)
  • Excessive Head Tick (likely lifters, or valve stems)
  • Dash is degrading (repairs falling apart)

Not much else to say, other than I plan on finalizing a few of the unfinished things. Improving things that I'm not a big fan of. And really just driving and enjoying it. The good news is that it's in amazing shape and doesn't "need" anything at all.

Current condition

See less See more
#997 · (Edited)
getting close. Wish they made 45s instead of 50s in a good tire. But a quick jaunt through the neighborhood and I’m sold on how it drives. Feels like it’s on rails, oddly quieter (I swear).. tbh feels like a car with a suspension again!

I need to get the camber dialed in and final height adjustments after some tests of how far things move while driving.

on the hunt for tires haha 🫠

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

Car Vehicle Grille Wheel Sky

#531 ·
I love these wheels! So much cooler than Corrado steelies.

Have you had a chance to test for backside clearance at the struts yet? Will be interesting to know whether spacers will be needed.

#822 · (Edited)
Decided I don’t love the door cards, so back to the tmi units. Guess I just have stupid high standards but they weren’t working for me.

On to the remaining bits. I had some nos goodies show up… rough to open but [emoji2369]

Tbh I’m just astonished with a little patience, time and searching you can find these things. Nuts.

Then I stopped by and snagged my spare [emoji7]

And had some work done to prep for the refinish/rebuild of the microfueler

More to come :)

Attachments

#866 ·
Found what was causing my random issues [emoji23]

Then inspected a bunch of stuff and did a torque check on everything. After around 3k miles I did find a few small things that needed a re-torque, but nothing too bad.

Then I started seeing what I need to do in order to turn up the boost. Mounted here for now, we shall see if it stays.

Next up I need to figure out what blew up in the cluster, or the speedo cable itself. It’s making a racket and isn’t functional.

#920 ·
You are crazy to have your kids play with cars. Soon, they will like it and want to be a professional mechanic. That right there is child abuse.
This is probably sarcasm, but I think theres likely a large gap between enjoying to tinker in the garage with your dad and enjoying it so much you want to be a mechanic as a profession. A decent amount of us on here probably picked up the car hobby from one of our parents and I'd venture a guess that most of us also don't do it for a living. I involve my kids in my vw hobby as much as they care to be involved. If nothing else it's better than them watching TV all day and wanting to become a professional youtuber.

#1,069 ·
#503 ·
On another note. Got my hardware today, and should be dropping the faces off for powder this weekend.

and I haven’t been spending much time on the rabbit as this turd had been keeping me busy [emoji23]

Hopefully the engine swap will be done on the rabbit and I’ll get back up and running on finalizing some of the other things I have planned for it.