VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My...Uh..Not really a build thread.

156K views 1K replies 82 participants last post by  01 
#1 · (Edited)
So about a year ago, I decided to liquidate all of my VW bits. After so many, and a lack of time because of work and family I figured it was time to be done tinkering.

This car sat on a local classifieds for about 6 months just taunting me, many a times I simply passed over it when friends suggested I buy it. The car was brought to Utah, tinkered on, and driven casually by the previous owner, but not much was changed.

After reading aeffertz's build thread a dozen times, reviewing every detail and going over it in my head I decided it had to be mine to "finish"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5630936-Alex-s-Rabbit-Project-Take-Two

--

So here it is, almost exactly as it was left....

The Good

• Almost exactly as Alex left it
  • Running and driving

The Bad

• Paint issues (chips, dings, polishing burn, deep scratch on the hatch, etc.)
  • Oil Leak (Valve Cover)
  • Cool bits were sold (moroso, scientific rabbit manifold, etc)
  • Excessive Head Tick (likely lifters, or valve stems)
  • Dash is degrading (repairs falling apart)

Not much else to say, other than I plan on finalizing a few of the unfinished things. Improving things that I'm not a big fan of. And really just driving and enjoying it. The good news is that it's in amazing shape and doesn't "need" anything at all.

Current condition

See less See more
#83 ·
Long awaited package from the motherland has arrived. Time to start tearing it all down and make sure it’s all going to work.

I plan on having some head work done, the harder part will be finding some big valve bits :)

I also scored a few bits from the classifieds, so the scientific intake manifold and adb big bore should be here soon!!

#85 ·
I haven’t figured that out quite yet, I need to decide what kind of build I’m really doing.

I jumped on these used pistons and rods as I couldn’t refuse the price, but there is always room to improve over stock...

I could go crazy and go with the aftermarket high compression pistons with h-beam rods, and try to make as much power as possible (kind a silly prospect but would be fun) if I did that then I would go crazy on the headwork.

Or I can build a somewhat stock setup with stock rods and pistons, and just slap a cam an larger intake valves on the head and call it a day.

Oh the decisions I need to make!!!

#92 ·
Made some wallet impacting decisions today. After much hunting I’ve found all NOS bits for the heron build.

Parts from all over Europe....Germany, UK, Poland, Austria, and the good ole USA...

This wasn’t the cheapest, or most sane option for this build. But I wanted to stay with a somewhat stock heron rather than a fully built heron, and I couldn’t refuse new parts.

Now to wait for it all to arrive, safely I hope [emoji4]

#96 ·
Pistons arrived today, still just waiting on all the bits to arrive.

I’m also prepping for an order with TT for all the misc bits all need. All the seals, gaskets, bolts, etc all add up quick. Wasn’t expecting $600 on misc stuff.

#98 ·
Stock g-grind can with bolt ons for now, the hardest part with the heron flat head design is knowing how much lift you can go with. I want to avoid pocketing the pistons, and 110hp factory with bolt ons is more than enough for me.

I mean, factory non bolstered rabbit seats won’t even hold me in tight corners as it is [emoji4]

#100 · (Edited)
Haven’t updated in awhile. All the NOS heron bits have arrived. I still need to put in a order for all the seals, gaskets, gears, etc. and then send it all off to the machine shop.

I spent some of the rabbit funds and got myself a new daily (although not vortex approved it’s an amazing car in its own way 2018 Accord Sport 2.0t 6spd)

—

Lately, I’ve just been enjoying the rabbit, making a few tweaks to things and driving it anytime the weather permits.

Few shots from a few days ago from my buddy @capturedslc

I plan on updating more frequently as spring is here. And the heron build will be underway.

#105 ·
Nope,

Did sell off some of the extras, and a few parts I won’t be using. I went a little overboard on the used parts, extra engines and transmissions are still a problem in my garage...

But all the stuff I’ll need is still here :)

#109 ·
Not much of an update, but I got new coils for the rabbit. The racelands weren’t up for the job anymore.

I was going to go KW until I realized I didn’t need stainless bodies. These should do the trick :).. I love the composite collars and mounts, and I’ve heard great things about the ride quality.. I guess we will see :)

#112 ·
For now the stock 1.6 will stay, it’s getting a new head (already have it) as well as a new trans, as I want something a bit taller. I went with a 4spd diesel trans as that should help bring the rpms down in the final gear.

The heron stuff isn’t for sale, had it up for sale but pulled it, as nobody is going to pay the crazy prices I paid for it all. It will eventually be built, but I’m not sure it will go in this particular car.

The new head, stock cam and all. This means I’ll have a 274 for the heron as well.

The three bins below the head have all the heron bits, etc. nice and secure :)