VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My...Uh..Not really a build thread.

156K views 1K replies 82 participants last post by  01 
#1 · (Edited)
So about a year ago, I decided to liquidate all of my VW bits. After so many, and a lack of time because of work and family I figured it was time to be done tinkering.

This car sat on a local classifieds for about 6 months just taunting me, many a times I simply passed over it when friends suggested I buy it. The car was brought to Utah, tinkered on, and driven casually by the previous owner, but not much was changed.

After reading aeffertz's build thread a dozen times, reviewing every detail and going over it in my head I decided it had to be mine to "finish"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5630936-Alex-s-Rabbit-Project-Take-Two

--

So here it is, almost exactly as it was left....

The Good

• Almost exactly as Alex left it
  • Running and driving

The Bad

• Paint issues (chips, dings, polishing burn, deep scratch on the hatch, etc.)
  • Oil Leak (Valve Cover)
  • Cool bits were sold (moroso, scientific rabbit manifold, etc)
  • Excessive Head Tick (likely lifters, or valve stems)
  • Dash is degrading (repairs falling apart)

Not much else to say, other than I plan on finalizing a few of the unfinished things. Improving things that I'm not a big fan of. And really just driving and enjoying it. The good news is that it's in amazing shape and doesn't "need" anything at all.

Current condition

See less See more
#624 · (Edited)
And I decided that it was worth tinkering out in the freezing cold. I need to get a garage heater.

Got the RSSs all installed, but did encounter a small issue. I only had external washer based camber/eccentric bolts that use the ridge on the strut, and these only allow for the internal versions. Ordered in some new ones, but it will be a few days so I can’t drive it yet.

And the underside is oh so dirty, almost can’t see the suspersprint under all that grime. I need to pressure wash underneath come spring.

#677 ·
After some hunting I landed some bases :)

Also spent some time looking for some good hinge covers as the ones I have are cracked and I’m not the greatest of shape.

And once I pulled one I realized very quickly why the look so familiar. Look at that lovely part number. Good ole 191 VW part being used on a Recaro made in 97 (confirmed by the date stamp)

It’s like these seats were meant to be haha. Finding nos units wasn’t so difficult, and are on the way.

I was also lucky enough to source a used lower frame!

Now I just need to figure out what fabric to go with (I’ve got a lot of choices) and then to find an upholstery guy.

#681 ·
Too funny. When I have rare NOS parts, I can’t bear to use them. They went into storage, then I eventually sold them.

Nowadays, I don’t sell anything. When I die, my family and friends will look at these parts, have no clue what they are and they’ll be tossed into the trash…

-Todd
Haha. I used to do that… but I use them now. No sense in holding onto something and not use it imo. Same reason my car is a driver, I don’t believe in garage / trailer queens.

This will be going in the car shortly.. won’t be nos for long haha.

#691 ·
Had a small incident while rebuilding the 75s.

Luckily big machines exist to remove it without too much risk.

And with that happening I’m not sure I trust these bolts anymore. And I called bbs and got a whole new set on the way, as I don’t want that to happen again.

Once they arrive I’ll finish the rebuild and get the tires mounted :)

#921 ·
Yes, lots and lots of sarcasm.

My Dad was an USAF pilot [Spent a year in Yokota AFB too]. Mom stayed home to raise 4 boys [while Dad was saving the world]. We had nothing is common and he was a difficult to be his son. Sucks to be taught to be always right. I guess as a pilot when others are shooting at you, you must be right or dead. It's only when I got older that I realized, I had the best parents that a kid can ask for.

Whatever you can do with your kids is something that is precious. Sometimes you/they do not know how good it was until many years later. Normally when kids get older, Mom and Dad get put on the back burner. Their friends seem to be more important. Once they get older and experience life, they understand the times under the hood with their Dad [or Mom] that were some of the best days of their lives. Much better than what they did on Facebook, YouTube, and yes, VW Vortex.

Just tell them to stay far away from the automotive industry. :p