Z31 300zx N/A RB25 future build
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Z31 300zx N/A RB25 future build

Might as well get it started. The Z31 300zx has been growing on me more and more for years. I almost bought one last year but decided to hold off. I got the itch again and since they are slowly starting to creep up in value, I decided to get it going. I still haven't found the right car as I only want a nice sub 100k mile base. I also only want 84-86, non turbo in white, black or grey with analogue gauges and cloth interior.

My dad is a big S30 240z enthusiast and owns 5 immaculate 240's. For some reason, I just never liked those as much as the 510 I had for a number of years. And now, the prices are far too high for decent cars. Hence the Z31 obsession. I think the 80's cars have been and are still coming on strong and they become more and more desirable to me by the day. I was born in 79 so these are the cars I grew up seeing too.

My original plan was to build a monster L28 with diesel crank and tons of mods to 300 RWHP but I realized that would cost me $15k plus just in the engine. I have been talking with a friend at Japanese Classics/Japan Parts Service and was leaning towards an RB20 or 25det. But then when I asked if they had in stock, I learned they only had this non turbo RB25de with long tube headers. I was instantly sold! This would give me the chance to build something similar to the L series only at a fraction of the cost.

So here it is.. RB25de with long tube headers. Also got RB26 valve, coil and timing covers, the earlier bullet proof Z31 5 speed trans from Japan, an RB bell housing and they are currently searching out the adapter plate and individual throttle bodies as well as velocity stacks for an RB26. I am getting HKS or Greddy cams and rods/pistons. The goal is 300hp at the tires with a 9k rev limiter. Should be a fun car.

Last edited by RVAE34; 10-21-2017 at 02:58 PM.
      Everything I own is for sale for the right price. If you really want any of the cars I post about, shoot me a PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I see OP and know the build is gonna be

This sounds awesome
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Thanks! When I saw this engine, I instantly saw the end result of the entire car in my head.
      Everything I own is for sale for the right price. If you really want any of the cars I post about, shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      I see OP and know the build is gonna be

This sounds awesome
      First I saw that car model, and thought "this will be cool".

Then I saw the OP and thought "oh hell yeah this will be really cool".

So in on page 1.

In for progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too much. And even though that red interior is mint, I still need the dark grey.

Cool! I just sold my 86 300ZX 6 months ago, it was an NA 5 speed but it was tan/tan with leather and digital cluster.

I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Very nice! How much? I have to admit, I do like the gold.

Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Nissan...hZzF1k&vxp=mtr
      Last edited by RVAE34; 10-21-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
      Very nice! How much? I have to admit, I do like the gold.

Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Nissan...hZzF1k&vxp=mtr
      Haha no, I sold it earlier in the year. I wont say how much for exactly, but it was <$3K.
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Yeah I just need to be patient. There is no shortage of cheap nice low mileage ones. Just have to be on the search.

This is what I am going for on the overall look of the engine. Likely no flashy colors though.

Definitely interested to see things pan out, although I think 300 rwhp on an N/A RB might be optimistic...
      120 whp/L. >15 bar BMEP, N/A.
      --
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      Butthurt Honda fanbois are butthrt their lawnmowers are overpriced. I was Stage 2 through a dealership with a full warranty so I don't see how it's not a fair comparison. But Honda bois just want to please Johnny Tran

We will see but I definitely agree with you that it will be tough. Going with some high quality rods/pistons and cams and possibly bore the block if possible. Not opposed to a new crank. Having my machinist port and polish the head and look into the biggest valves we can run. He has a bench flow tester and sounds intrigued. I will also run stand alone and have a great tuner. The guys I am talking to think the 26 throttle bodies will help out quite a bit too. Either way it should be a fun engine for the chassis.

Are you planning on doing anything about the suspension? Because...

Yes! I will do many things.

Ordering the following from Raw Brokerage:
      New RB26 head with guides
      Supertech Dual 234lb Springs with titanium retainers
      Supertech +1mm stainless intake valves
      Supertech +1mm Inconel exhaust valves
      Supertech valve stem seal kit
      BC Billet valve keepers
      Tomei Pro cams 272 duration high 10.25 lift
      Tomei Solid lifters
      Last edited by RVAE34; 10-24-2017 at 06:41 PM.

In. Even if its only a fourth as good as the e38 build it'll still be better than most.

NA 300RWHP intrigues me, it sounds like what I want to do with an E46.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

The z31 has really been growing on me lately as well, can't wait to see the end result here
      PSN:Jae304

Interesting build! I assume there's no issue in stuffing an inline 6 into the bay of a Z31 (given they were designed around the V6)?

Does the RB25 have any weak points (like the RB26) that need to be addressed when doing a high RPM build?

In Japan, the z31 was available with a turbo rb20. It was called the 200ZR and Japanese Classics currently has one for sale. The RB mounts work for any of the variants 20,25,26 and 30. The heads all interchange too. I will just have to get the block to head stud holes enlarged and re-threaded to mate the 26 head.

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...airlady-200zr/

The early rb26's had this issue but it was fixed after 91 IIRC. I will use the newer oiling system with my stroker crank.

Here is my son checking out the ZR at JC

Last edited by RVAE34; 10-24-2017 at 08:07 PM.

^ That's bad-ass

Oh so excited for this build, you could put that engine into a lawnmower and I'd be excited but a Z31? Love that you're keeping it Nissan, this is going to be a very cool parts bin special
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 10-24-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks!!

I don't know what it is about the Z31 but for the last 2 years or so, I can't get it out of my mind. I keep trying to think of what could possibly be next and although my dad is a huge S30/240z enthusiast, they just don't do it for me as much and the prices are insane now. The Z31 does it for me though (when done right). They are also cheap, there are literally 10-20 for sale right now with under 75k miles and they have lots of aftermarket availability. The 80's cars are coming up strong and in 5 years you will kick yourself for not buying all the great cars up for investment purposes

I am also dead set on a 1986. It has the fenders of the 87-89 but the older head and tail lights which I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
      Thanks!!

I don't know what it is about the Z31 but for the last 2 years or so, I can't get it out of my mind. I keep trying to think of what could possibly be next and although my dad is a huge S30/240z enthusiast, they just don't do it for me as much and the prices are insane now. The Z31 does it for me though (when done right). They are also cheap, there are literally 10-20 for sale right now with under 75k miles and they have lots of aftermarket availability. The 80's cars are coming up strong and in 5 years you will kick yourself for not buying all the great cars up for investment purposes

I am also dead set on a 1986. It has the fenders of the 87-89 but the older head and tail lights which I prefer.
      It's too bad I didn't know you wanted one, some kid in northern IL has it now, he actually just got a hold of me recently. And yeah, 86 is the best looking year, and the 2+2s are homely. Avoid the junk automatic climate. And Z31s are actually downright common compared to MK2 supras, and MK3 supras that actually run. The leather seats with power lumbar (yes, really) are amazing.
      Last edited by 88c900t; 10-25-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Ordered a brand new Nissan rb26 head, +1 supertech intake and exhaust valves dual 234 lb springs and Ti retainers. Now my machinist can get working on port and polish.

Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Are you planning on doing anything about the suspension? Because...

Memories of my old 280ZX

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast