VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK7.5 Golf R VCDS Tweaks

490K views 972 replies 188 participants last post by  bobvilla 
#1 ·
I’d like to start a topic for tweaks that are working on the new MK7.5 2018 Golf R, as for my experience, majority of the tweaks are not working or VCDS does not have labels for the new modules in the car.

The Soundaktor mod is the only one so far that I’ve been able to do successfully, along with the led lights displaying on the knob of the heat controls in Auto Mode as well as seat heat memory retention.

The mods I need help with are:

Exhaust flap always open
Window convenience open/close
Mirror tilt in reverse

I’ve followed instructions for previous years and coding is either rejected or doesn’t work, please help and feel free to post any other VCDS mods you think might be worthwhile doing to my MK7.5 Golf R

Thank you in advance [emoji1365]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#260 · (Edited)
In my B8.5 S4 there was an option to disengage the electronic parking brake when putting the car into gear or getting on the throttle. Now my model did not have brake hold so this kinda works like that in the S4 except you have to engage the brake e-brake every time you come to a stop for that type of functionality. But I also don't want to have brake hold engaged all the time, so is there a way to program the Mk7.5 so that the regular electronic brake disengages after applying gas or when shifting into a gear? Case in point: parked in the garage with the ebrake on...start it up, put into reverse back out....no fiddling and trying to remember if my wife put the brake on or not as I always do by habit.....

#261 ·
In my B8.5 S4 there was an option to disengage the electronic parking brake when putting the car into gear or getting on the throttle. Now my model did not have brake hold so this kinda works like that in the S4 except you have to engage the brake e-brake every time you come to a stop for that type of functionality. But I also don't want to have brake hold engaged all the time, so is there a way to program the Mk7.5 so that the regular electronic brake disengages after applying gas or when shifting into a gear?
Why wouldn’t you want brake hold engaged all the time? Have you tried it? There’s no down side to it at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#271 ·
Yeah the electronic brake is automatic. It's only annoying when you're getting towed (and auto engages when you open the door in gear haha).

I can see the appeal but personally I don't like auto-hold and haven't touched it since trying it out when i bought the car. In rush hour here i have to be able to creep or i'd get cut off instantly. If i want to give my foot a brake i just use ACC. I'm sure creeping isn't ideal for the transmission but neither is bumper to bumper rush hour traffic.

#272 ·
I'm sure creeping isn't ideal for the transmission but neither is bumper to bumper rush hour traffic.
Yeah, I've seen several posts that note creep is bad for the DSG but I've always had the belief that if they built the car to do that, it must not be that detrimental to the car. But maybe it IS bad. I really don't know for sure.

One of the reasons I got the DSG is because I'm going to do a lot more commuting on the L.A. freeways in the next year and I did not want to spend it clutch-in, clutch-out for hours and days and weeks. DSG seems like a better option as well as using the ACC. But even the ACC is not ON or OFF. It creeps too. So if that does it, I should be able to as well!

Hopefully if there's an issue, it's covered under the warranty!

#288 ·
I finally got my Station Art and Cover Art to display on my dash but I had to apply dash configuration #4 first. Then I tried setting the album/station art to active and it took the setting. Art now shows on the dash. I then switched back to the default configuration #2 and the art was still visible.

So for me, this only worked after changing the dash display to #4 and setting the art as active (I had previously checked out each dash configuration so simply changing to them did not allow art to be active) and had to be in that configuration while changing art to active.

That being done, I'm gong to leave it in configuration #4 for a while and see how I like it. It's not that bad. I don't really need it to show 200MPH since my car will never go that fast and I like the 10MPH increments rather than 20MPH.

#290 ·
Thanks for all of the details everyone. Using my old HEX CAN COM cable, I turned off my soundaktor, start/stop and removed lap timer. Also removed the restriction for accessing settings while on the move (although I somehow missed one).

My parking brake doesn't automatically turn off if I have auto-hold on (my car is a DSG). The first time it didn't I thought it might be because I didn't have m seatbelt on, but even with my seatbelt fastened, it doesn't.

Anyone know how to decrease the speed at which the High Beam Assistant works? It's defaulted to 37mph (60 km/h) I think.

Also, has anyone figured out how to enable the Dynamic Lane Assist for the 18s?

Also, I tried to turn the "open door" display off when the car was running (via byte 11, bit 6 I think, which is what folks online say and what it says in long coding helper), but it didn't seem to do anything.

Also, changed some of the comfort access settings. I can now roll up windows from the door handle, but it didn't create a menu option in the car settings.

#291 ·
My parking brake doesn't automatically turn off if I have auto-hold on (my car is a DSG). The first time it didn't I thought it might be because I didn't have m seatbelt on, but even with my seatbelt fastened, it doesn't.

Anyone know how to decrease the speed at which the High Beam Assistant works? It's defaulted to 37mph (60 km/h) I think.

Also, has anyone figured out how to enable the Dynamic Lane Assist for the 18s?

Also, I tried to turn the "open door" display off when the car was running (via byte 11, bit 6 I think, which is what folks online say and what it says in long coding helper), but it didn't seem to do anything.

Also, changed some of the comfort access settings. I can now roll up windows from the door handle, but it didn't create a menu option in the car settings.
Your parking brake doesn’t automatically turn off? Are you manually engaging it?

High beam assist speed can’t be modified from what I can tell. You can, however, modify the speed for the availability of corner illuminating lights and their intensity.

Dynamic Lane keep modifier is easy, and well documented. Search google for vwvortex, and Mk7 lane keep VCDS.

Some of the Mk7 yo Mk7.5 settings are different. Some? Ok. A lot. Lol

#296 ·
I also posted on GolfMK7 asking about a kencha option. Do you know of one? I did get one very helpful response with settings to try, but I'm a little afraid to. Anyone want to give it a shot? https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44265
Could be interesting, but I'm not a fan of the dimmed parking light in the rear. Maybe they could be left to full brightness and just blink on and off when the turn signal is on somehow? Even still, I'm not a fan of the approach.

I gave up on the coding of the NAR tails. My dynamic tails show up on Monday.

#298 ·
Is there a way to turn the light on for the auto hold feature? I have a manual transmission so there isn't a light on the dash to indicate that the auto hold is on and engaged. I guess it's usually a green icon?

Also, any way to tweak the max volume of the navigation commands and / or telephone audio. I don't think it's all that loud.

Finally, anyone try this to get a kencha type signal going on the 18? See 2nd post: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44265

#299 ·
There's a light on the auto hold button itself (orange when switched on).

You can adjust the volume of the NAV, I believe, either in settings or by using the volume knob when the NAV is actively speaking instructions.

#301 ·
anyone enable traffic jam assist?

i have to say the NA R lane assist sucks, it bounces you from lane to lane, i have a euro passat b8 with lane assist and it keeps you centered the whole time, i wonder if it can be recoded to euro stylez?

also i have driven the NA and euro R within 2 days, the NA R dsg shifts noticeably slower, even in race mode compared to the euro ones. i guess soft american programming :facepalm:

#303 ·
wtf is vagcom pro, i enabled lane assist on my b8 passat cause it wasnt turned on from the factory, i had the matrix lights and traffic camera so it was just a bunch of coding through vcds, i even did it before they had labels for the long coding helper thanks to a german guy

also what is the lane assist tweak then?

#304 ·
It’s not a matter of TJA being turned on, we just simply don’t get the software. VCP reflashes the camera module.

The coding for the lane keep is in this thread, I cannot seem to find it in the search though .. forum search sucks - anyway, I have done it. It works beautifully. TJA is next, trying to organize a time with a guy who has it locally.

#327 ·
Is there anyway to change the brake pedal effort in vcds? typically I change out the pads and that's worked on my other R's but for the mk7.5 the brake pedal is way to sensitive at slow speed even with new pads.

Reactions: Kiyokix
#339 · (Edited)
Thanks to your guides, guys, I now have DRL in the central display. It only turns the DRL if the light switch position 0., in the automatic the DRL are on. Is that supposed to be like that?

Disabling the orange lights is next in my list.

Does any one have an instruction how to male lane assist more sensitive, so the car wont go right and left, but just straight? I am looking for VCDS instructions.
Thanks in advance.

#340 ·
Re the amber lights i think someone posted earlier in the thread but i don't have the coding on hand.

The last one you're looking for is adaptive lane tracking:

Adaptive Lane Tracking
First, select "Front Sensors Driver Assistance System":
Second, select Security Access, enter the code 20103, press enter, then go back, select Coding and find "Point_of_intervention". It should say "late"
Third, select "Point_of_intervention" and change it to early (setting via menu)
Fourth, press the green check mark and verify the change was successful. If everything went correctly you should get a setting under lane assist on the MIB2 called "Adaptive Lane Tracking".

#342 ·
when you shut off the car, and start closing the window auto all the way up and you open the door, the power cuts out and window will stop. in europe, they will finish closing. i know its some weird usa ignition/power rule, i wonder if it can be changed via coding? sorry if i didnt explain too well what i mean

#345 · (Edited)
Lane adaptation is complete! I think there are some changes to mid-2018, in long coding there are 4 options in the menu, such as 1) early, 2) late, 3) early, display in menu, and 4) late, display in menu. and there are no green check. I just entered 3) early, display in menu. Then I exited the coding menu, opened MIB and the option "Adaptive Lane tracking" is there :beer:

Also tried the Mirror dip in reverse. Still, no success:
Here are the instructions I found
Mirror Dip on Reverse
[52] Passenger door
6. 07 coding
7. Byte 4
8. Enable bit 2 and 3
THEN
6. 09 Central Electronics
7. 31347
8. Adaptations
9. 17-Access control 2 Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to “active”)
10. (22) Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to “active”) this puts the option in the menu screen.

went thru the whole list of options in adaptations three or four times, there are no such options as listed above. well, at least I could change the look of instrument cluster to option 3. Don't care much about the blue dots, just for kicks and giggles...

#348 ·
Lane adaptation is complete! :beer:

Also tried the Mirror dip in reverse. Still, no success:
Here are the instructions I found
Mirror Dip on Reverse
[52] Passenger door
6. 07 coding
7. Byte 4
8. Enable bit 2 and 3
THEN
6. 09 Central Electronics
7. 31347
8. Adaptations
9. 17-Access control 2 Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to “active”)
10. (22) Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to “active”) this puts the option in the menu screen.

went thru the whole list of options in adaptations three or four times, there are no such options as listed above. well, at least I could change the look of instrument cluster to option 3. Don't care much about the blue dots, just for kicks and giggles...
The OBD11 coding i used for my 2017 that worked is the same as yours (pasted below) just with names instead of bytes for the first part. Did you find the passenger door module settings just not the adaptations?

One thing to keep in mind is unless you have power folding mirrors it might not go back to it's original spot. Or when it does it won't do it all the time or will be a bit off. Sometimes between the years they change the name of the adaptions or move things around, but they should be named similar.

mirror switch has to be on the passenger setting for it to work.
52 Passenger door
07 coding
memory_mirror changed to "active"
mirror_lowering_with_rear_gear changed to "active"
position_memory_with_rear_gear changed to "active"
THEN
09 Central Electronics
Adaptations
17-Access control 2 Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to “active”)
(22) Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to “active”) this puts the option in the menu screen.
THEN
Enabled it in mirror settings in car dash