VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Volkswagen I.D. Crozz Coming To U.S. In 2020

22K views 91 replies 48 participants last post by  Hajduk 
#1 · (Edited)
Will be followed in 2022 by the I.D. Buzz acting as a spiritual successor of the Microbus.

Originally unveiled in April at Auto Shanghai and then updated for the Frankfurt Motor Show in September, the Volkswagen I.D. Crozz will evolve into a production version in the years to come, likely with a different name. It will be the first U.S.-bound VW from the company’s new era of electric vehicles, which will also include a road-going counterpart of the I.D. Buzz. The latter will hit dealerships across the United States in 2022 to serve as a spiritual successor of the iconic Microbus. The two concepts, together with the I.D. from last year, have now come together for the first time in North America on the occasion of the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show.

The EV trio will ride on the VW Group’s newly developed MEB platform set to underpin a total of 15 fully electric VW-branded models by the middle of the next decade. The I.D. Crozz will lead the way for the company’s electrification plans in the U.S. and it will take the shape of a compact SUV with an affordable price tag – a promise made by VoA’s President and CEO, Hinrich J. Woebcken.

Details about the production-ready I.D. Crozz have not been disclosed, but we remind you the concept is powered by a pair of electric motors. The one mounted on the front axle produces 101 horsepower and works together with the 201-hp rear motor to provide a combined output of 302 hp and enable an all-wheel-drive system.

The 4Motion setup is quite clever in the sense that the vehicle has a RWD layout most of the time by default, with the front-mounted electric motor kicking in only when there’s a need for more grip. The driver has the possibility to manually turn it on, thus effectively giving the I.D. Crozz a permanent AWD layout.

Thanks to a large lithium-ion battery pack with a capacity of 83 kWh, the electric SUV is estimated to cover up to 300 miles on a single charge. Once depleted, it will take half an hour to recharge the battery to an 80 percent level by using a 150-kWh DC charger.

Speaking about the roll out of the electric I.D. models in the U.S., Woebcken said:

“The I.D. CROZZ and the I.D. BUZZ will help Volkswagen to kick off an EV revolution in the United States. All of our I.D. concept cars demonstrate the inherent flexibility, driving range and smart design that can serve the needs of 21st century drivers.”

https://www.motor1.com/news/222850/vw-id-crozz-us-2020/

See less See more
#13 ·
2017 LA AUTO SHOW l VOLKSWAGEN l ID FAMILY REVEAL l Press Conference l Full Event

2017 LA AUTO SHOW l VOLKSWAGEN l 'Moving People People Forward' Full Event (ENG). Volkswagen Group of America revealed today it will introduce an all-new electric compact sport-utility vehicle in 2020 based on the I.D. CROZZ concept vehicle, which made its North American debut at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show. The all-electric compact SUV is expected to precede the revival of the iconic Volkswagen Bus in 2022, with a vehicle based on the I.D. BUZZ concept.

“The I.D. CROZZ-based electric vehicle will be an affordable and stylish electric SUV—and there is more to come!” said Hinrich J. Woebcken, President and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America. “The I.D. CROZZ and the I.D. BUZZ will help Volkswagen to kick off an EV revolution in the United States. All of our I.D. concept cars demonstrate the inherent flexibility, driving range and smart design that can serve the needs of 21st century drivers.”

The I.D. CROZZ and I.D. BUZZ, along with the original Volkswagen I.D. concept vehicle, appeared together for the first time in North America today. The modular electric platform the three vehicles share will underpin all future Volkswagen-branded EVs, and make possible Volkswagen’s goal to build 15 different VW EVs globally by 2025.

#44 ·
Seeing that as I'm closing in on 60, that's good news, because it will be a cold day in Hell before I would ever be interested in an autonomous car. That aside, my biggest concern about VW's early EVs (such as this "Crozz) is that we'll see a ridiculously high sticker price PLUS a battery that'll cost $20K to replace once it's shot. Then, too few charging stations to make long road trips feasible. I'm not into public transportation. At my age, I'm seriously considering buying 2 of VW's last gas cars within the next 10 years or so to last me until my Earthly exit.

#22 ·
To me, this looks ungainly; the proportions are wrong. Fortunately, in addition to the above, there are more clues that this is still a concept vehicle, it isn't production ready. The real one will have mirrors, and door handles, and a B pillar (for side impact). I sure hope the wheels and tires will be more sensible (read: smaller) sizes. I sure hope the steering wheel is round or close to it. Steering column looks really awkward.

Concept vehicles frequently have exaggerated proportions and features.

#34 ·

I'd love to know what happens when people drop coins and other "stuff" into the tracks and the chairs don't move back and forth...
#parentingeye

#25 ·
What's with the pop-up lidar? Bogus.

#26 ·

Of these three, the red one is the one I like the least. Only 4 seats? Concept car nonsense. If the Buzz can seat 6 it wins. The hatch looks like a small hatch. The swoopy coupe CUV look has always been and will always be a stupid idea perpetuated by the Germans.

#33 ·
Man, I knew it'd be toned down, but if those are official renderings for this car they went too far. Of course they'll still have the ID and ID Buzz to possibly be on the wilder end of the spectrum. This one may simply be for the introverts.

I'd like to see the interior now. :)

#41 · (Edited)
That's just a crap rendering. Stop quoting it. I will just about guarantee that the overall styling will be closer to the concept vehicle than it is to a butchered Golf 7 ... and it won't have tailpipes!

Take the concept vehicle ... add outside side-view mirrors ... add door handles of some sort ... make the doors open the normal way (the concept-vehicle builders love the clamshell door concept but it generally isn't realistic for production) ... maybe add frames around the windows as opposed to the frameless concept ... maybe use more sensible wheel and tire sizes, at least on the lesser models ... and there you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.