My Coastal Range Rally story, or: Roadkill is more fun to watch than live. - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Passed 1500 miles! Did some more research, found instructions for a different adjustment method. It was to make sure you have no knock, either by race gas or retarding timing. Set timing to locked at 10. Went through the rev range, not getting into boost, turning up the sensitivity until I got false triggers, then turning it down a touch. Then, set the timing back to the advance map. Ended up pulling out a bunch of timing under boost. I think the sensor still too sensitive, but I am confident it is safe. Had some weird spots in the timing map, so it now pulls smoother too.

Also, turned up the boost to the full 1 bar I was running before. It feels a little down on power, but I took 8 degrees of timing out under boost.

On a closed course, I used the speedhut gauge to clock a 1/4. [email protected] Previously did a 14.1 at 102 at 1 bar. According the internet 1/4 calculators, I am short 30whp. Can’t wait to get to the dyno, and turn up the wick.

-Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ready for a paradigm shift? Or at least I hope you are sitting down. I am pulling the turbo motor out of the rabbit, and going 16v NA.

Did the two one day rallies the DWA guys threw on this fall. First real driving I have done with the rabbit this year.

Coming off the covid reset, plus spending time with the mostly stock e30, I apparently grew up a bit. On the rally, I never needed more than half throttle, or anywhere close to redline. I did do it a few times, I am not a monster. Also, on the second rally, I had a bunch of issues. Not all related to having 200 whp motor in a rabbit, but it did spark the desire to simplify. Also, I want to turn up the boost, and the chassis really isn’t up for it. So, I am buying a 2.0 16v with a 1.8 head, euro cams, ect this weekend. End goal is ITBs. Initial step will be to convert to obd1 aba management, as I already have most of the parts, and most of those that I don’t are needed for megasquirt when I get ITBs.

This also leaves me with a freshly rebuilt turbo motor with no place to go. Oh wait:

So, fox will the the turbo motor, converted to rwd, and boost turned up, for childish stuff like this:

It was originally going to get a BEAMS swap, but a turbo motor is better for hooning, and NA is better for driving.
      Last edited by Bad Rabbit Habit; 10-07-2020 at 09:53 PM.
      -Jon

This "growing up" you speak of...what's it like?

What was the deal with not fitting in the Rocco?

Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      What was the deal with not fitting in the Rocco?
      First car I haven’t fit in. Owned a NA miata, which had more headroom.

I sit very close to the wheel for my 6’1” height. I have to roll the seat too far back to be comfortable driving. And no helmet, so no autocross, and track days. And having the fox and ‘rocco next to each other, the fox is a way better start for a project.
      -Jon

Obtained a 16v. It’s a 2.0, 1.8 head, Euro Intake cam.

Made some orders, first time ever having headers.

Also stacking parts for aba obd1 management. Using a SPA turbo crank wheel, auto passat throttle body, and a Techtonics chip designed to run a 16v.
      -Jon

But you know what would really make it scream? Throttle bodies.

Do it. Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Hey, that's a euro 50mm intake manifold!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

It’s two. The one on the motor is a 50mm as well

But you know what would really make it scream? Throttle bodies.

Do it. Just do it.
      I will. Just not yet. It’s only going to cost me ~150 of “wasted” money to run the obd1 stuff right now. Throttle bodies is gonna cost 2k+ unless I find deals. And deals take time.
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Hey, that's a euro 50mm intake manifold!
      It’s two. The one on the motor is a 50mm as well
      The one on the motor is a 42mm. The 50mm has bigger cutouts for the plug wires, and the plenum doesn’t have a step down to the runners. At least I hope the one on the motor isn’t a 50mm. I didn’t measure it.
      -Jon

I approve of this direction change.

<------ Former 16V Rabbit owner.

My Coastal Range Rally story, or: Roadkill is more fun to watch than live.

Oh I thought 42mm runners have no cut-outs at all, but I see the step down. Hm

Scratch the throttle bodies. Do this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oettinger-1...-/124368400389
      Last edited by thegave; 10-15-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Having never owned a vehicle with the 16v engine but always wanting to (especially after reading about Jason Cammisa's Cabriolet) I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

I was kicking around the idea of picking up a Cabrio and then changing the engine to have the 16v head to mimic the engine offered in Europe. This build might inspire me to keep looking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Mecum just sold a '64 21 window for $170,000 at their Indianapolis sale. No word on how many later buses it was made out of.

Once you go 16v, there's no going back!

Meanwhile I think I have close to enough free cash to turbo my Rabbit.
      ...but then it was supposed to be turbo from the get go.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Is it?

I have to jump start my 16V build project then.
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Is it?

A Scirocco with a PL is fun, but one with a nice 9A is the bee's knees. Still makes me smile every time I take it down empty twisty roads.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Is it?

Dibs on your stroker.

Hmm, I like the change and nearly did the same.

After my oil splosion at the track in July, I surveyed the damage to find a trashed head on my ABA.

Then I must have hit my adult head really hard as I am building it back with high compression pistons and a super wicked TT 298 cam in an early OBD 1 head. Still 8 valves though.

Hoping for roughly the same power...

Quote Originally Posted by cdncrdoguy View Post
      Having never owned a vehicle with the 16v engine but always wanting to (especially after reading about Jason Cammisa's Cabriolet) I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

I was kicking around the idea of picking up a Cabrio and then changing the engine to have the 16v head to mimic the engine offered in Europe. This build might inspire me to keep looking.

Jason has a very large part in my decision to do this. A couple conversations with him got me going down this rabbit hole.

I’m still nervous it won’t be enough power. I have certainly gotten used to boost. Drove the e30 to work yesterday, and enjoyed it. This should have a slightly better power to weight than that. So, it should be ok, but I have had a turbocharged rabbit for over three years.
      -Jon

I can completely understand where you are coming from as I daily drive a stage 2 WRX wagon and have had my G60 Corrado for nearly twenty years with the usual mods to it. But I still remember the way my old N/A 83 GTI handled and pulled with just a 272 cam, header and exhaust. With the 16v as your starting point, and if you get similar power to what Jason is getting, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

My search is still ongoing for the right Cabrio. We don't have a lot of them in my market and most of the ones that come up are sketchy. When j started looking, I worried that the 2.0 litre would be disappointing but did not want to go with force induction (I already have a turbo and supercharger to worry about), I wanted it to be simpler like the GTI. That got me looking into what upgrades were available for the 2.0. When I saw the 16v hybrid option it immediately got my interest, since I always wanted to see what the 16v was like to drive.

Looking forward to your updates.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Mecum just sold a '64 21 window for $170,000 at their Indianapolis sale. No word on how many later buses it was made out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I'm going to have to disagree. I've had TERRIBLE luck with 16vs. I've 16v swapped two cars. A mk2 jetta coupe and my rabbit truck. I'll never do another 16v as far as I'm concerned.

I love this idea generally - there's a point at which a car, especially a FWD car, has too much power for the platform and it just becomes less fun. Too much stuff breaking, too hard to put the power down, too much tiptoeing around the boost curve mid-corner, etc. Getting the power curve correct for the car and the roads you enjoy is the magic sauce, and it took me too many years to figure out that "maximum possible power" wasn't the right answer for that sauce.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Dibs on your stroker.
      LOL, no.

The 8V stroker stays in the mk2 Scirocco, and the newish 16V stroker will go into the mk1 Scirocco.
      Last edited by LT1M21Stingray; 10-16-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Apparently I should have bought a lotto ticket, instead of writing terrible things on the internet.

No clue what happened yet. I was heading back towards Patterson, taking it slow since I was dangerously low on fuel. All of a sudden, the oil pressure light comes on. Coast to the next pull off, check the obvious stuff, nothing looks out of place. Has oil on the dipstick. Start it up, sounds like I have marbles in the oil pan. Managed to catch a ride to cell service, 15 miles away in Patterson. Where I am currently, waiting for my wife to pick me up.
      I post this in the bay area thread, and now have more info. Once it got dropped off, I decided to risk cranking it, and see if it makes oil pressure once it cooled down. It did. So, I let it idle. Seemed like it was running on three, but that may be because I was cranking it with no spark, but still had fuel, so it was a tad rich. The oil filter housing is leaking pretty badly, so that maybe part of the issue. Gonna change the oil, and cross my fingers that I can drive it 30 miles to my buddies shop with the lift. Pretty sure I am out of AAA tows now, been a rough year for the rabbit.
      -Jon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast