VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Another way to reinforce Mk1 strut mounts

21K views 72 replies 24 participants last post by  Hoffa 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked this trick up in the Scirocco forums. It serves the same purpose as adding a bead of 3M Window Weld Urethane to the underside of the strut mount to keep the rubber from collapsing, a known problem with "all" aftermarket mounts.

Look here:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7541657-34-years-ago-to-the-day-January-9-1982/page4

Basically a high quality exhaust hanger for Opels, available here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Goma-de-Es...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Edit 07/28/2020, the link is dead, try this instead: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Goma-de-Es...527617?hash=item59272fb641:g:ZV0AAOSwQYZWxHTJ

Adavantages:
1) Dirt cheap, I bought enough for 5 cars from Europe for half the cost of one tube of Urethane.
2) No waste. The rest of the tube of urethane is wasted unless you have the energy to do all of your cars in one day (I do not)
3) No curing time, the parts are immediately and fully serviceable.
4) The gap stays super tight, better than Urethane.

I don't know if other hangers from the US would work, but the ones in the link fit perfectly (albeit hard to get in), and road impacts will seat them better and better over time.

See less See more
#36 ·
Did this with the Rabbit with coilovers, worked great.

About to do this with some FEBI mounts, any last minute tips on installing the exhaust mounts on the strut mounts? Sounds like you just have to strong arm it.
Was over thinking this at first, put the top of the hat in a vice, then used two screwdrivers to spread the ring over the metal and a third to position the ring. Once I figured it out, took about 30 seconds.

#37 ·
FWIW I ordered 2 of the spendy Sachs mounts from a seller in Greece. When they got here it looked like the entire package had been submerged in water. One Sachs box said made in China and the other Taiwan.

First mount is from China. It was in a zip locked bag. No spacer or nuts.

Second from Taiwan. With spacer, nuts, directions, and was in vacuum sealed plastic. Looks like the studs and nuts are coated in zinc or similar. Also the paint is a matte rather than gloss like the first mount.

First mount

Second mount

If I get either installed I’ll update how they hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 ·
Check out post #32 of this thread. Notice the photo with the screwdriver prying open one side to get it started.

#42 ·
I purchased the Continental mount [same application] and found the mount was a bit too large. I was able to get the rubber installed, but it broken while installing it. So for the last several months, I have put 5k miles on my POS Caddy and the rubber has stayed in and there appears to be no issues. No body is going to notice.

The orders out of Europe seem to be the thinner mounts that fit better.

#46 · (Edited)
Got my eBay link fancy euro Opel strut mount gap reducer washer donuts in. I measured with a digital caliper and they were approx. 42mm x 69mm x 14mm. Will install when my new springs arrive. Won't test em out until my engine is sorted but looks like good feedback so far!

#48 ·
With two people, it was a breeze. Vice, one guy stretched it over at 3 and 9, I then used two more screwdrivers and popped it over at 12 and 6. Easy peasy. It also made a weirdly satisfying noise as it slid into the void. Will see how it feels after I get it aligned.

#56 ·
#51 ·
Indeed the Ebay link I originally posted went dead.

This looks like the same part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Goma-de-Es...527617?hash=item59272fb641:g:ZV0AAOSwQYZWxHTJ

I'll add the new link to the original post.

Update on mine: the rubber has settled a bit so there's a gap on all the cars which ranges from 3/16" for new mounts with the O-ring added for reinforcement to 1/4" for torn mounts with the O-rings added only as a salvage. I've had the ame experience with urethane goop, so while the O-rings aren't perfect they appear to be at least equivalent in terms of durability.

#53 ·
Eric- how often do your cars see the road? The settlement is mainly from sitting?

I tossed a set on my gti, but I was using fox bushings in early mounts.... I’ll need to take a look. The engine was pulled on Christmas dat and hasn’t seen the road, yet.

-Todd

#54 ·
Eric- how often do your cars see the road? The settlement is mainly from sitting?
Not many miles per year and never hard cornering, so my experience is on the gentler side of the spectrum and they still settled a bit. I would love a solution that keeps the gap 1/16" or less like the original OEMs did.

#55 ·
The OE bonded units must have used a very high durometer rubber if they were able to stay closed. One of my project cars came with the German made Febi mounts and I noticed they were barely separated. I guess I’ll need to hold onto them...

I’d bet someone with a 3D printer would be able to print a high durometer, split designed bushing that would fill the void on these mounts.

-Todd

#57 ·
Although the Mercedes and the Opel and the same aftermarket part number, the Mercedes ones I got were much more stiff and I could not get them in without them breaking. What I did is used them anyway and urethaned them in too. So far, so good. The exhaust mount has never worked it's way out of the groove. 2 years and counting.

#58 ·
I'm curious to hear your feedback after 2+ years using this modification. Aside from the rings staying in place, how has the modification worked overall? Is there any sign of the tops migrating upward or other changes in the mounts? Did it affect the ride quality any? Any other observations with them? Thanks.

#62 ·
How many miles do you estimate on the reinforced mounts?

#65 ·
I have mine off right now for a spring swap.

After about 3 or 4 years of use including some rough off pavement driving and overall 15K+ miles or so they seem good enough to reinstall. After a month of use, the driver side developed a slight gap, but it hasn't gotten any larger since then. It would probably be prudent for me to rotate them passenger to driver.

#66 ·
Ted just noticed the Ebay source isn't showing, hopefully one of you web-searching gurus can find the exact hangers, or something close enough. The durometer would ideally be just right to hold the car up but also be able to stretch into position without breaking.

#69 ·
I used the Mercedes mounts [Continental] and I could not stretch them around without breaking. The number does match the other mounts [I believe they were for an Opel] but I guess the other manufacturer were a bit softer. Since they are similar in dimensions, if you could soften them up before installation [boiling water?] they would probably slip right in.

I did use the broken conti mounts but just glued them in. To date, they are doing fine. I have never looked to see how they are doing under the car, but the mounts do not appear to have sagged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.