What's your opinion of Scotty Kilmer? - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post

This guy isn't as entertaining, but has vastly more experience with newer cars, and the tech that they have in them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtA...liY7ko1PBhzTHA
      Since I have started taking on some wholesale work for used car lots in the area I end up working on cars I don't know the common problems on or quirks to how they do things. I enjoy digging in and learning but it can be a waste of time that you can't charge for. That guys videos have helped me out a few times. Just the other day working on a truck one of the wholesale guys bought is grandson I was scratching my head on an evap issue.

Searching for the fault to get some clues on my weird results I found one of his videos on that exact truck with the same problem. Apparently another shop had it and was doing the same dumb thing i did and forgetting how the system operates to allow for a fault check which was giving me results I didn't expect. He was even like I bet I know what they did, called up the shop and explained the problem in testing it the way it was. I like that he seems to get a lot of problem cars from other shops (another thing I'm trying to expand into) and he has a good attitude about it doesn't mock them or anything from what I have seen.

Even finally broke down and bought a pico scope the other day partially because of his videos.. but mostly because I have wanted one

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

South Main can be funny at times with the fake accent he puts on, was cool when he went to that old school machine shop to repair that Honda Ridgeline top end

Hes very knowledgable and looks to have many loyal customers

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTroy View Post
      Do most of you guys think reactions like this are authentic or faked?
      Probably a bit exaggerated due to the audience if your not a live wire the commenters start with the "unsubbed borrrring"

Marans a good dude
      Last edited by ImpeccableNEW; 05-30-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Comes across as a relic of days gone by and an ass.
      R.I.P Barbaro
      I'm all for a clean car, and lowering for performance reasons, decent wheels, etc... but this "stance" crap sucks.
      Quote Originally Posted by 302W View Post
      lol wut? You can have the baddest carbon brakes straight of an Enzo, it doesn't mean jack **** when your contact patch is 1/3 the size it would otherwise be, and partially the sidewall

He's far from perfect but you gotta take the good with the bad. For the most part he's entertaining. I like how exaggerated the guy is. By that I mean, just watch on every show of his how he can't remain still for 1 second, his arms always seem to be in motion 24/7.

Can't stand him, much in the same way I can't stand Doug Demuro or anything from Jalopnik.

Can't stand him either. They way he talks, and gestures. I'm Italian, I understand talking with your hands, but even my Italian blood is "Whoa, calm down there" when seeing him talk.

I also feel he overgeneralizes things, and its more from the gut instead of based on research

Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Can't stand him either. They way he talks, and gestures. I'm Italian, I understand talking with your hands, but even my Italian blood is "Whoa, calm down there" when seeing him talk.

I know a lot of Scotty haters on here, but can't argue with this:
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

For those that like Eric O over at South Main Auto, you'd probably also like https://www.youtube.com/user/88bmyvegas Fix it Angel, dude works out of his garage in Las Vegas. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Can't stand him either. They way he talks, and gestures. I'm Italian, I understand talking with your hands,
      Talking with the hands is one of his sales techniques. It worked just as well for Phil of Phil's House of Nails

Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      For those that like Eric O over at South Main Auto, you'd probably also like https://www.youtube.com/user/88bmyvegas Fix it Angel, dude works out of his garage in Las Vegas. Good stuff.
      I recently came across him when looking up doing Subaru head gaskets with the engine in the car, and subsequently check his page from time to time with some new/interesting content.

It’s generally entertaining, plus I like seeing engine carnage He seems like the kind of dude you want looking after keeping your sh*tbox on the road for a few more years

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      I know a lot of Scotty haters on here, but can't argue with this:
      i just tried to watch this.

good lord this guy is annoying. i get he might have some good content. but damn, how the hell are 2.3million people are willing to listen to him?

someone should dub a voice over, then i could stand the vids.

Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Yessss, hes really knowledgable I believe hes a certified Toyota tech. Has good RL1 Odyssey repair videos though hes works on any make

For in depth how- to s never sleep on ericthecarguy ,his videos are excellent to use as a reference as he has a dedicated camera guy and he explains clearly. He has quite a few interesting hondas and a heavily modded mint ford fairmont

Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      i just tried to watch this.

good lord this guy is annoying. i get he might have some good content. but damn, how the hell are 2.3million people are willing to listen to him?

someone should dub a voice over, then i could stand the vids.
      Scotty is like one of those really catchy pop songs that you initially hate with a passion the first time you hear it, and then it gets stuck in your head so you look it up and start to like it. I haaaaated him the first time I saw one of his videos, but over time grew to enjoy him for his kookiness.

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Scotty is like one of those really catchy pop songs that you initially hate with a passion the first time you hear it, and then it gets stuck in your head so you look it up and start to like it. I haaaaated him the first time I saw one of his videos, but over time grew to enjoy him for his kookiness.
      Exactly how it was for me

Just like the new Cardi and Bruno Mars song "Please me"... I hated it at first but now I like it
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Old fart with screechy voice.

My favourite is by far Engineering Explained. Knows his stuff and does't seem to have gigantic ego.

Alex on Auto is VERY thorough. Interesting in a geeky-needs-to-know-every-detail kind of way. I just wich he would say "a little bit" a little bit less...

Straight Pipes are fine. True millenials (care as much, if not more about Adroid Auto/Apple Carplay connectivity then the engine...). They remind me of Beavis and Butthead sometimes.

Throttle House is good. Only attempts at humour that can actually make me laugh sometimes.

SavageGeese: solid reviews, but damn this guy sounds pretentious and snobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      SavageGeese: solid reviews, but damn this guy sounds pretentious and snobby.
      I think I watched two of his videos and was super put off by him for that reason. He was also has a super low-energy, negative delivery of everything he says. He's like the exact opposite of TheStraightPipes who are totally enthusiastic and fun to watch.

Scotty would be proud of this guy. Who needs a spray booth when you can paint your car using latex wall paint and a roller?

My favourite is by far Engineering Explained. Knows his stuff and does't seem to have gigantic ego.
      I like EE and then I don't. I feel like he does really well at reviewing, but when talking technical stuff, he explains it from an engineer's POV. That's not such a good thing because us as engineers, we usually tend to say "looks good on paper" and the theoretical stuff is great, but then when executed in reality it's not good.

For example, I remember Jason talking about Infiniti's variable compression engines. Jason did explain it thoroughly and explained why it's a good thing. Looks good and all, but I can bet that those engines will not do so well in high mileage. It over-complicated the system physically and electronically, esp the crankshaft which has added components and such.

Scotty sees it from a mechanics POV which is the reality POV because he works on these cars by hand. When engineers over-complicate something, then the techs have a harder time fixing something and ends up costing the consumer a lot of $$$.

I can see it from both POVs because like I said I am engineer myself, but also work on my cars in my garage. Even I wonder sometimes wtf the engineers were thinking when designing parts that are hard to reach or they break easy or whatever complications there are.

Straight Pipes are fine. True millenials (care as much, if not more about Adroid Auto/Apple Carplay connectivity then the engine...). They remind me of Beavis and Butthead sometimes.
      Yes they are true millennials, I'm one so that's why I like them.
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

He definitely comes across as a luddite and he has the typical grease monkey mentality of any old-school low-life general mechanic on the block (aka quick to judge). His delivery is also awful.

But I agree that I do learn a thing or two on occasion. Not that I really watch him.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      For in depth how- to s never sleep on ericthecarguy ,his videos are excellent to use as a reference as he has a dedicated camera guy and he explains clearly. He has quite a few interesting hondas and a heavily modded mint ford fairmont

The Acura Legend Coupe was a gorgeous looking car. Wanted one for a good many years... but by the time I was ready to get out of my current car, I realized the rear seats don't fold down in this... which I found to be a drawback on my '95 Maxima. Wasn't going to repeat that. Otherwise, it sure had a lot going for it as a daily driver.
      Last edited by absolutt; 06-02-2019 at 01:43 AM.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      HE has some good stuff, but hes also a very old school mechanic and insists 90's toyotas are the best thing ever, which while they are reliable, time has moved on. Some stuff is entertaining, sometimes hes just an ass.

This guy isn't as entertaining, but has vastly more experience with newer cars, and the tech that they have in them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtA...liY7ko1PBhzTHA
      South Main is a great DIY resource. If it wasn't for SM, I would have not tackled the timing belt on my old Pilot.
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!

Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      The Acura Legend Coupe was a gorgeous looking car. Wanted one for a good many years... but by the time I was ready to get out of my current car, I realized the rear seats don't fold down in this... which I found to be a drawback on my '95 Maxima. Wasn't going to repeat that. Otherwise, it sure had a lot going for it as a daily driver.
      Should have gotten a 94 maxima as I believe it was deleted for cost cutting in the 1995MY along with the rear independent suspension.

EricThecarguy demonstrated his legends has soft close doors never knew these had that, ive driven a few legend 4 doors of that generation and they didnt have that feature verrrry coool , in that time frame i think only the S-class benz had that feature

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast