Audi RS6 Avant coming to the US - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 186
    1. #76
      Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,679
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Hmmm RS6 or 911.............................

      How is this even a question.
      Well the logic on here is

      Appliance vs 911. You pick

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #77
      Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      12,183
      With the E63, there's no marketing effort and thus no marketing cost for MBZ. And they have relatively longer life spans (~ 7 years), so these halo/enthusiast targeted models are viewed differently in that respect. They still need to deliver to the bottom line in some fashion, but because they're based of standard platform, and they have virtually no maintenance costs, and specific dealers order them (because they have repeat buyers who want that specific model every few years), they can manage it and make it work.

      In MBZ case, they're sharing the engine and transmission across a wider range of vehicles. In Audi's case, they don't have RS models of any of their SUVs in the US, and so if an RS6 is only going to have a shared powertrain with the RS7 and S8, then that may not be enough to make its case.

    4. #78
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Well the logic on here is

      Appliance vs 911. You pick
      At the pricing I'm sure the first year leases the rs6 will go for I'll likely end up in a gt3 touring

      Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

    5. #79
      Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      24,688
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      With the E63, there's no marketing effort and thus no marketing cost for MBZ. And they have relatively longer life spans (~ 7 years), so these halo/enthusiast targeted models are viewed differently in that respect. They still need to deliver to the bottom line in some fashion, but because they're based of standard platform, and they have virtually no maintenance costs, and specific dealers order them (because they have repeat buyers who want that specific model every few years), they can manage it and make it work.

      In MBZ case, they're sharing the engine and transmission across a wider range of vehicles. In Audi's case, they don't have RS models of any of their SUVs in the US, and so if an RS6 is only going to have a shared powertrain with the RS7 and S8, then that may not be enough to make its case.
      Actually, RS6 will share the engine with lots of Porsche... so the situation is pretty similar with Mercedes. They can probably justify the low-ish sales number of RS6 Avant if both of these things are true:

      1. the underlying body style (A6 Avant) are already certified for other applications - e.g. A6 Avant, A6 Allroad
      2. the underlying drivetrain (4.0T V8) are already certified for other applications - e.g. RS7, S8, Cayenne, Panemera

    6. #80
      Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      17,369
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Actually, RS6 will share the engine with lots of Porsche... so the situation is pretty similar with Mercedes. They can probably justify the low-ish sales number of RS6 Avant if both of these things are true:

      1. the underlying body style (A6 Avant) are already certified for other applications - e.g. A6 Avant, A6 Allroad
      2. the underlying drivetrain (4.0T V8) are already certified for other applications - e.g. RS7, S8, Cayenne, Panemera
      I was going to post something similar. If those two things happen it almost doesn't make sense not to offer it.

    7. #81
      Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      12,183
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Actually, RS6 will share the engine with lots of Porsche... so the situation is pretty similar with Mercedes. They can probably justify the low-ish sales number of RS6 Avant if both of these things are true:

      1. the underlying body style (A6 Avant) are already certified for other applications - e.g. A6 Avant, A6 Allroad
      2. the underlying drivetrain (4.0T V8) are already certified for other applications - e.g. RS7, S8, Cayenne, Panemera
      Then that's good news, and thanks for the correction. As you said, then the situation should be similar to Mercedes and more reason to think it'll come.

    8. #82
      Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      24,688
      Also, don't forget Bentley and Lambo SUV that also use the 4.0T... I'm guessing the profit margin on those cars already covered the drivetrain certification costs of RS6 and then some.

      It will be interesting to see whether VW or Mercedes sell more 4.0T V8 in the US in terms of the raw volume.

      VW: Audi RS6 (maybe?), RS7, S8, Porsche Cayenne, Panemera, Lamborghini Urus, Bentley Bentayga, Flying Spur, Continental

      Mercedes: C63 sedan, C63 coupe, E63 sedan, E63 wagon, S63 sedan, S63 coupe, G63, GLC63, GT63 (GLE63, GLS63, SL63 are still using the old 5.5 but will likely switch over to 4.0 soon)

    9. #83
      How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      16,496
      Bring me the wagons!
      Instagram - efrie004

      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

    10. #84
      Member Activ8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ann Arbor, MI
      Posts
      616
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      To continue this, look how much coverage on the YouTube car channels that MB got just by giving the E63 AMG Estate press car out. All the big car YouTubers drove it, posted great footage, long videos with lots of praise. Then it was discussed over and over again on forums and other social media. For all intents and purposes - the E63 AMG Estate was Mercedes Benz' 2018 halo car. Even if each unit just broke even or was sold at a loss, having that much MB coverage to promote their brand was probably worth it. If Audi can swing an RS6 Avant on an all new platform and catch the E63 mid-cycle, combined with huge pent up media demand of all of us car nerds who would watch Doug and The Straight Pipes and Matt Farah etc. flog one of these, it'd be great brand visibility for Audi overall.
      Agree. They can make it the corporate camera/personnel car for everything from Pikes Peak to US-SCC GTD. Meanwhile, we get the yearnings satisfied by the 98¢ Hotwheels version:

      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      The number is probably accurate, and is a good reminder of why we shouldn't let enthusiasts determine the product matrix.

      If MB is selling 100 annually, Audi would be lucky to sell 50-75 per year.

      A halo car doesn't necessarily require that many units sold. It simply does a marketing job like no ad agency or internet commercial. The E63S wagon is a Formula 1 Medic car and track inspection car. That's a lot of eyeballs on every race, not to mention in person for 100k+ people at COTA, Austin. Also, homologation costs aren't that prohibitive as Audi makes it out to be. Ford doesn't have to certify each and every one of its 1 million possible F-150 variants. Similarly for the RS6 Avant, the engine is common to the RS7 and the bodyshell common to the A6/S6.

    11. #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
      The E63S wagon is a Formula 1 Medic car and track inspection car.
      Close but it's actually a C63 wagon

    12. #86
      Member TurboREX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2006
      Location
      Fancy CT
      Posts
      5,486
      wow VW really pushing for a Luxo Wagon market in the USA. 1st the panamera wagon and now the RS6

    13. #87
      (sigh) I want one...

      But can I afford it? That is the question.

      Argh, makes me want to find a "financial advisor" who would green-light this thing.

    14. #88
      Member SoSuMi's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2004
      Location
      Akron, OH
      Posts
      1,050
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      (sigh) I want one...

      But can I afford it? That is the question.

      Argh, makes me want to find a "financial advisor" who would green-light this thing.
      I'll be glad to help you get into that new Avant. But first let's talk about your spare kidney.
      ____________________

      Byron

    15. #89

    16. #90
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2000
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      13,116
      For those who always complaining the rise of CUV/SUV, CUV/SUV is also the partial cause for the "wagon's return". CUV/SUV Made Wagon Great Again. (tm)
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

    17. #91
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Good news for the 6 people on TCL who will buy one used in 5-10 years.
      He's talking about me! 1/6
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

    18. #92
      Member HI SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Honolulu
      Posts
      6,367
      RS6 Avant is still my ultimate dream car.



      They just put Layer Cake on Netflix, and I watched it the other night. I think watching this scene in my formative years, was responsible for my lust of Avants.

      Only gotten better with age

      I know the new ones are way faster, but for me the 2008 twin turbo v10 model is my favorite.



      Peak VAG hubris stuffing that engine in a wagon.

    19. #93
      Member col.mustard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2008
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      2,774
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Good news for the 6 people on TCL who will buy one used in 5-10 years.
      QFT. They will literally sell tens of these.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

      Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

    20. #94
      Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago, Il
      Posts
      8,941
      Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post
      QFT. They will literally sell tens of these.
      Disagree.

      We sell every e63 estate my MB store gets in. Quickly at that. There is a market for these. Just not a big one (read suv sized).


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

    21. #95
      Member Maximum_Download's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      6,474
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Good news if this is true. TCL user Maximum_Download was last seen shutting his head in the door of a typical CUV while screaming that Americans don't like wagons.

      Cute.

      Except this is one of those super performance high HP wagons. This isn't going to be a beachhead for a mass influx of wagons. It isn't going to turn the tide on crossovers. And it does not fit into the mass market in any way, shape, or form.

      I am actually all for this car, and would love to find a way to buy it.

      But Americans as a rule don't buy wagons, and no snarky-ass comment from you and a token couple hundred RS6 Avants are going to change that.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

    22. #96
      Member nicoli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2003
      Location
      Flat Dirt No Rain, TX
      Posts
      3,179
      Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post




      .
      Hey, I've had that exact Hot Wheel on my desk at work for a few months now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gaki View Post
      So besides a massive case of mud butt for a week straight followed by a $25,000+ stay at a hospital when I got back, I'd say the trip was

    23. #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      Cute.

      Except this is one of those super performance high HP wagons. This isn't going to be a beachhead for a mass influx of wagons. It isn't going to turn the tide on crossovers. And it does not fit into the mass market in any way, shape, or form.

      I am actually all for this car, and would love to find a way to buy it.

      But Americans as a rule don't buy wagons, and no snarky-ass comment from you and a token couple hundred RS6 Avants are going to change that.
      Who cares? I don't concern myself with crossovers as they don't suit my needs but I don't care if every licensed driver owns a dozen of them. I just happen to like wagons and wish I had more to choose from. For some reason that upsets you and I enjoy pointing that out. Get over it.

    24. #98
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      24,081
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Good news for the 6 people on TCL who will buy one used in 5-10 years.
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      He's talking about me! 1/6
      I'm in, 1/3 of the used reservations secured!

    25. #99
      Member Maximum_Download's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      6,474
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Who cares? I don't concern myself with crossovers as they don't suit my needs but I don't care if every licensed driver owns a dozen of them. I just happen to like wagons and wish I had more to choose from. For some reason that upsets you and I enjoy pointing that out. Get over it.
      Considering you don't seem to own anything that was built in this decade, I don't care about your opinion either.

      Come back and contribute when you are willing to spend money on a new car. New car sales are what justify models, so....what do you bring to this conversation?

      If you want a wagon, buy one. Now. New. Then you get to whine about choice. Until then, shut up.
      Last edited by Maximum_Download; 03-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

    26. #100
      Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      24,688
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Disagree.

      We sell every e63 estate my MB store gets in. Quickly at that. There is a market for these. Just not a big one (read suv sized).


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      You taking orders now?

    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast