Ace of Base: The Cayman Chase - Page 16
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Results 376 to 400 of 409
    1. #376
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      3,259

      Ace of Base: The Cayman Chase

      I like your video style!! The Youtube content could be gold. You’re as good as anyone I’ve seen at documenting car tasks!

      Btw, I got tired of having hot oil spill down my arm when I pull a drain plug. So I rigged a shop vac to my oil-adding inlet and turned it on for back pressure. It is enough to offset the gravity, so you Can remove the drain plug and nothing comes out until you step back and turn off the vacuum. Good stuff. It’s also great if you ever need to remove a quart because you are over-filled.

      See my very short vids of this method of the MP4-12C:



      Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 09-14-2020 at 04:12 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #377
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      4,490
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Is it though? I can't see how welding the plastic pins is faster than a worker snapping in the trim piece with clips. Granted the welding has the benefit of not loosening over time, but for the initial assembly, seems like clips are always the way to go.
      If a worker is doing either job, sure, but I'd be pretty surprised if that had not been done by a robot arm or a custom tooling that does all the welds in one swoop.

    4. #378
      Member renegadeofpunk03's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2003
      Location
      Lost Angeles
      Posts
      2,043
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I like your video style!! The Youtube content could be gold. You’re as good as anyone I’ve seen at documenting car tasks!

      Btw, I got tired of having hot oil spill down my arm when I pull a drain plug. So I rigged a shop vac to my oil-adding inlet and turned it on for back pressure. It is enough to offset the gravity, so you Can remove the drain plug and nothing comes out until you step back and turn off the vacuum. Good stuff. It’s also great if you ever need to remove a quart because you are over-filled.
      Holy crap, are you a wizard? I just put a drain valve on my truck, but this is pretty awesome
      ಠ_ಠ

    5. #379
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684
      Quote Originally Posted by bificus99 View Post
      I don't see a lot of people working on photos with gloves anymore. Given your attention to detail on your posts I totally understand.
      Can't have fingerprints on fine art!

      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Oh! I didn't know you were Joe Lo Truglio.


      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I like your video style!! The Youtube content could be gold. You’re as good as anyone I’ve seen at documenting car tasks!

      Btw, I got tired of having hot oil spill down my arm when I pull a drain plug. So I rigged a shop vac to my oil-adding inlet and turned it on for back pressure. It is enough to offset the gravity, so you Can remove the drain plug and nothing comes out until you step back and turn off the vacuum. Good stuff. It’s also great if you ever need to remove a quart because you are over-filled.
      Thank you sir! That's a great idea with the shop vac, consider me a believer.

      I'm adding music to a more interesting Episode 2 that I'll post this week. I was thinking of recording the trim insert but didn't think it was all that interesting and easier for people to follow by scrolling through pics.

    6. #380
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684

      Episode 2

      A tale of suction, seduction, and a reduction of debris.



      Screenshots:





















      After buttoning everything up, got an error about my LED license plate lights not working. I knew I plugged them and after some troubleshooting, realized they both fried at the same time.




    7. #381
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684

      Headliner Replacement

      Not my best work but for purposes of a DIY, I think it covers all the bases. The other videos just didn't have the level of detail, lighting, and excitement as I wanted, so I made my own.

      I can tell you this though: sure feels nice.



      Screenshots:










    8. #382
      Member DonPatrizio's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2007
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      2,250
      You might be the only cat that works on a car more than driving it.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

    9. #383
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      You might be the only cat that works on a car more than driving it.
      Well I don't post every time I go out for drives. 8k miles since I picked it up...pretty average for me given the second car.

      But hey, any used car like this is going to require some wrenching and trim removal.

    10. #384
      Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Posts
      44,916
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Well I don't post every time I go out for drives. 8k miles since I picked it up...pretty average for me given the second car.

      But hey, any used car like this is going to require some wrenching and trim removal.
      How long have you had it? The oil change reminder is coming on in my Cayman every time I drive it. I checked the mileage since my last oil change 1 year ago; 1500 miles.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

      Trolls ignored: 9

    11. #385
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      How long have you had it? The oil change reminder is coming on in my Cayman every time I drive it. I checked the mileage since my last oil change 1 year ago; 1500 miles.
      The first pic in the OP was taken on January 18, 2019 at 4:31 pm PST so coming up on 21 months.

      Been working from home since April so that's another factor.

      Why aren't you driving it more?

    12. #386
      Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      42,016
      Kian do you have PIWIS 2? Thinking about buying the box and found the software

    13. #387
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Kian do you have PIWIS 2? Thinking about buying the box and found the software
      Negative, just the Enthusiast version of Durametric. Haven't needed the additional functionality of PIWIS...yet.

    14. #388
      Member westsideseal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2002
      Location
      The Bay
      Posts
      6,017
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Not my best work but for purposes of a DIY, I think it covers all the bases. The other videos just didn't have the level of detail, lighting, and excitement as I wanted, so I made my own.

      I can tell you this though: sure feels nice.

      Finished product looks good, and definitely higher quality than any of the other videos I've seen on the subject.

    15. #389
      Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,806
      I'm really enjoying your videos. I just wish I had such a great garage! I hope you continue to gain traction on YT; your videos are way better than the vast majority of wrenching content that I've come across.

    16. #390
      Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Posts
      44,916
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      The first pic in the OP was taken on January 18, 2019 at 4:31 pm PST so coming up on 21 months.

      Been working from home since April so that's another factor.

      Why aren't you driving it more?
      COVID, staying close to home to visit my mother in her nursing home and FL roads aren’t designed for a Cayman. They are designed for a Cadillac Seville.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

      Trolls ignored: 9

    17. #391
      Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      42,016
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Negative, just the Enthusiast version of Durametric. Haven't needed the additional functionality of PIWIS...yet.
      So I assume it does the oil service reset , but do you know if it works on 981 and putting the e brake into "service mode" or running the grind in calibration

    18. #392
      Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,667
      Enjoyed the video! Nice job with the lighting in the garage. You could do a casting couch in there too if times get tight.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    19. #393
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      3,259
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Finished product looks good, and definitely higher quality than any of the other videos I've seen on the subject.
      Very well done.

      Actually it was worth the watch just for the self-deprecating humorous side bar commentary. I literally LOL’d when you typed “it wasn’t“

    20. #394
      Member rammalammadingdong's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2007
      Location
      Norf
      Posts
      1,511
      Good video was good.

    21. #395
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Finished product looks good, and definitely higher quality than any of the other videos I've seen on the subject.
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      I'm really enjoying your videos. I just wish I had such a great garage! I hope you continue to gain traction on YT; your videos are way better than the vast majority of wrenching content that I've come across.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Enjoyed the video! Nice job with the lighting in the garage. You could do a casting couch in there too if times get tight.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      Very well done.

      Actually it was worth the watch just for the self-deprecating humorous side bar commentary. I literally LOL’d when you typed “it wasn’t“
      Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      Good video was good.
      Thanks my dudes!

      Not gonna lie, I can definitely see the appeal of earning a living off videos, especially since it combines the mechanical and creative passions but holy ****, there's a lot of competition and click-bait out there. Admittedly I kinda dipped my toes in that pool by adding the "mistakes were made" to the thumbnail but you all know that was not intentional, unlike other channels where they specifically mess things up for views.

      Episode 4 will feature the car itself (no attractive blonde this time) with mostly driving footage and exhaust/engine noises. The concept looks amazing in my head with my imaginary Top Gear budget and camera crew...final result may be somewhat less exhilarating.

      Also need to speed up my editing...I'm spending 15-20 hours per video.

    22. #396
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      COVID, staying close to home to visit my mother in her nursing home and FL roads aren’t designed for a Cayman. They are designed for a Cadillac Seville.
      Understandable.

      Thought it might've been something else, like...ya know...perhaps a sagging headliner.
      Last edited by kiznarsh; 10-17-2020 at 02:47 PM.

    23. #397
      Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,684
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      So I assume it does the oil service reset , but do you know if it works on 981 and putting the e brake into "service mode" or running the grind in calibration
      Yeah, service reminder reset, clear codes, activate commands for various modules (e.g. headlights, instrument cluster lights) but I don't know if the service mode is one of them. I have a feeling it isn't when I was casually searching for it when I had the 981 but never needed to actually use it. I bet the Pro version probably has that feature.

    24. #398
      Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Posts
      44,916
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Understandable.

      Thought it might've been something like else, like...ya know...perhaps a sagging headliner.
      The car is still under warranty into 2021. You can be sure Porsche would be replacing it should that be an issue.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

      Trolls ignored: 9

    25. #399
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2000
      Posts
      11,018
      I very much enjoyed that video, although the statistical chance of me having to replace a Cayman headliner is about zero.

      I would like to know the source for the nifty gloves - thanks!

      Tom

    26. #400
      Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Munich, GER
      Posts
      31,895
      Damn. The headliner made it look more like a Boxster inside.

    Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast