The boat lounge? - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by dts View Post

The last time my family owned a boat on Lake Champlain it was the mid-80s and we had a 16-foot Glastron tri-hull with an 85hp Mercury outboard. I guess I am still in the mindset that a 19-foot boat is big!

But I'm certainly open to being persuaded otherwise....
      You'll be fine then. If you know what coves to hid in when the wind is blowing you'll be good. Some days on the lake are glassy, most are not and I've found to maximize days on the water you just need to find those calm coves and the bigger the boat the better. I've been caught in some gnarly weather and wished i wasnt in a 24' bowrider.
      Slow Car Fast

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      You'll be fine then. If you know what coves to hid in when the wind is blowing you'll be good. Some days on the lake are glassy, most are not and I've found to maximize days on the water you just need to find those calm coves and the bigger the boat the better. I've been caught in some gnarly weather and wished i wasnt in a 24' bowrider.
      Yeah, we have both northern and western exposure, so on windy days we just stay in. Easier to find protection in south winds.

EDIT: Bah -- I decided to sleep on it, and the ad's been pulled down. Figured at that price it would go fast, and I was right -- was hoping it would take more than 12 hours....

Last edited by dts; 05-29-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Any love for sailboats?

Me and my SO have taken a ton of sailing classes and joined the local yacht club recently
      , for access to their 20 footer. We are taking it slow, and want a lot of time on the water before we decide what we take the plunge on.

Power boats are awesome, but there is something very rewarding about letting the wind take you.

We just redid our property, and left a perfect place to park a up to 30 foot boat and trailer in our driveway.

May try to put our name on the list for a slip in Honolulu harbor. It generally takes about 3-4 years to get one, but if you are a yacht club member, surprisingly they magically seem to appear much earlier

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Any love for sailboats?

Me and my SO have taken a ton of sailing classes and joined the local yacht club recently
      , for access to their 20 footer. We are taking it slow, and want a lot of time on the water before we decide what we take the plunge on.

Power boats are awesome, but there is something very rewarding about letting the wind take you.

We just redid our property, and left a perfect place to park a up to 30 foot boat and trailer in our driveway.

May try to put our name on the list for a slip in Honolulu harbor. It generally takes about 3-4 years to get one, but if you are a yacht club member, surprisingly they magically seem to appear much earlier

My son works right down the street from this. The only way you are going to live up to your name is if you get one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      My son works right down the street from this. The only way you are going to live up to your name is if you get one of these.

I will let you guys know when I get Larry Ellison money

One of our sailing instructors is selling his Hobie Cat for a steal, and I am tempted. Still a bit of a advanced boat for a beginner tho

Quote Originally Posted by dts View Post
      We're just south of Charlotte (Thompson's Point/Long Point area). We're a family of three, so I doubt we would have more than six on board at a time.

The price is moving me on this one -- as I said earlier, it's about $5k less than anything else comparable I've seen.
      --I've seen a lovely 2006 Sea Ray 205 Sport advertised in remarkably good condition -- a 20-footer with the same 4.3 engine (bigger boat = less performance) with 100 more hours for $7k more
      --There's a very nice looking 2007 Four Winns Horizon 200 with 250 hours on a Volvo 5.0 that looks quite nice, but it has anti-foul bottom paint and is $5k more.
      --Another Regal 1900, this one a 2010 so it's newer, with a 5.0 Volvo and unknown hours for $4k more.

On this one, the only flaw I can see is it looks like the finish could use some love -- a bit of fading on the blue -- but the rest of it looks fine.

The last time my family owned a boat on Lake Champlain it was the mid-80s and we had a 16-foot Glastron tri-hull with an 85hp Mercury outboard. I guess I am still in the mindset that a 19-foot boat is big!

But I'm certainly open to being persuaded otherwise....
      1. It's an Alpha One, dog clutch.
      2. It's the old iron block 4.3. These Regals needed the optional 5.0 to perform.
      3. The Sea Ray 205 is likely the same weight as the Regal and will perform largely the same, but the Regal might ride better. Their hulls in my opinion are superior performers.
      4. The 5.0 Volvo powered Regal is automatically the better buy - it has more power and a better drive, more than able to offset the additional cost.
      5. On Lake Champlain, I would push you to a 20 or a 21 foot boat.

I know you passed on the 4.3 powered boat, and I think you made the correct decision.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post

Any other questions, ask me.
      When will your boat be on the Great Chicago Sea so I can get on it??

kthxbai
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

1. It's an Alpha One, dog clutch.
      2. It's the old iron block 4.3. These Regals needed the optional 5.0 to perform.
      3. The Sea Ray 205 is likely the same weight as the Regal and will perform largely the same, but the Regal might ride better. Their hulls in my opinion are superior performers.
      4. The 5.0 Volvo powered Regal is automatically the better buy - it has more power and a better drive, more than able to offset the additional cost.
      5. On Lake Champlain, I would push you to a 20 or a 21 foot boat.

I know you passed on the 4.3 powered boat, and I think you made the correct decision.
      Just saw the 2010 Regal I referenced (a 1900 ES) has come down $1k. It has the 5.0 so may go check it out; the extra weight & power of the 5.0 likely would help in chop.

The 2007 Four Winns Horizon 200 with the Volvo 5.0 looks like it would be an excellent candidate -- except for that bottom paint. It's here; https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...874618408.html

What do you think about bottom paint -- once it's painted, can it ever come off?

I looked online and saw there's a soda-blasting service in Burlington, but I don't know if that is only good for removing paint as part of prepping for a repaint, as opposed to removing the paint permanently.

If you plan on leaving the boat in the water, then you might actually want that boat with bottom paint - you're going to paint it anyway whether you like it or not. To answer your question, the paint can be removed, but if they sanded the gelcoat underneath, it's going to be a major project to bring back. You would likely need to re-gelcoat the bottom to restore it. Not impossible, but very expensive.

As you know I have a Four Winns H210 with the same outdrive on it, and it's fantastic. Not on par with, say, a Cobalt, but easily on par with a Regal. It also has a specific hull design to Four Winns, and in my experience it works really well. I will tell you that the Regal 19 is SMALL for a 19 footer - the bow area is absolutely tiny, and one of the reasons I was shopping the 2000ES (one level up).
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post

kthxbai
      We boat in Lake Geneva in WI. Let me know when you're up that way.

The weather has been absolute sh#t around here and we have only been out once since the season began.
      Matt

Well, this one has moved to the top of my list.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...874618408.html

2007 Four Winns Horizon 200 w/ 5.0 Volvo Penta and about 250 hours. The bottom paint is my only concern — it would be moored so it would be in the water for weeks at a time, so that could be good feature. But it’s also something that will require more maintenance.

It’s at the very top of my price range, but I’ve seen it advertised for at least a month, so it hasn’t moved. Having never negotiated a boat purchase before, is there usually much wiggle room?

It’s also at the local marina, so it would be in their best interest to develop a long-term relationship — in other words, not selling me something with big problems. With that in mind, do I take their word on mechanical inspection? They generally have a good reputation.

Thanks for all the help — big purchase & I’m a newbie!

Since you are mooring the boat, bottom paint is likely beneficial to you but could be a deterrent when you attempt to sell it. The VP GXI is fuel injected and was the highest output 5.0L available at the time (270 HP). It will motivate the boat really well (51-54 MPH) and still have decent fuel burn while cruising. The VP SX outdrive is a big upgrade over Merc's Alpha One. This boat also has an all fiberglass cockpit so you don't have to worry about soft floors. Would ask if the snap in carpet is included. If not, you could always get some SeaDek type flooring later. You can fold the trailer tongue in but I do wish it was a tandem axle trailer (not a deal breaker).

The great thing about Four Winns is that they have a history of "Fast Facts" which details engine options, specifications, fuel economy, performance, etc. Here is the link to 2007: https://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/20...tFacts2007.pdf

Otherwise, here is the main link (use the drop down to select year): https://www.fourwinns.com/us/catalog...ct-information
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

RareSportBikesForSale.com | German Cars For Sale Blog

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Since you are mooring the boat, bottom paint is likely beneficial to you but could be a deterrent when you attempt to sell it. The VP GXI is fuel injected and was the highest output 5.0L available at the time (270 HP). It will motivate the boat really well (51-54 MPH) and still have decent fuel burn while cruising. The VP SX outdrive is a big upgrade over Merc's Alpha One. This boat also has an all fiberglass cockpit so you don't have to worry about soft floors. Would ask if the snap in carpet is included. If not, you could always get some SeaDek type flooring later. You can fold the trailer tongue in but I do wish it was a tandem axle trailer (not a deal breaker).

The great thing about Four Winns is that they have a history of "Fast Facts" which details engine options, specifications, fuel economy, performance, etc. Here is the link to 2007: https://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/20...tFacts2007.pdf

Otherwise, here is the main link (use the drop down to select year): https://www.fourwinns.com/us/catalog...ct-information
      If he's mooring it the trailer is likely irrelevant.

Also, if he's mooring it, the bottom paint is now a plus. He would have to paint the bottom ANYWAY, so the fact that the boat has it means 1. He doesn't have to paint it this year, and 2. He can use it as a bargaining chip against the current owner.

Yeah, I would run for that FW if I were you. Looks like a great option with great power. And after looking at the P.I.G., it has the top engine option in it. That's HUGE.

Also, fun fact: The Duoprop lower unit is a direct bolt on.
      Last edited by Maximum_Download; 05-31-2019 at 02:22 PM.
      Matt

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I will let you guys know when I get Larry Ellison money

One of our sailing instructors is selling his Hobie Cat for a steal, and I am tempted. Still a bit of a advanced boat for a beginner tho

I learned from my dad to sail on his Hobie Cat (14'). Great boat, tons of fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post

kthxbai
      We boat in Lake Geneva in WI. Let me know when you're up that way.

The weather has been absolute sh#t around here and we have only been out once since the season began.
      You didn't buy a Highlander tow vehicle to NOT haul your boat places. Haul it down to Chi-town so me and smoothman can go for a cruise. Beer and gas on us.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

As far as evaluating it:

1. Read Platinum's links on the Product Info Guide (P.I.G.), and memorize RPMs at key speeds - 30 mph and wide open, primarily, as well as what the top speed is. Better yet, print it out and take it with you, because you will be measuring the boat against those numbers.
      2. Schedule an appointment for a sea trial/test drive. No sea trial, no deal. Be prepared to throw $50 their way for fuel and time if they ask for it.
      3. Ask for any maintenance records that the boat has.
      4. Ask for the boat to have an engine compression test, and a drive pressurization test. The compression test will reveal a bad engine, the drive pressure test will expose any leaks or seal issues in the drive.
      5. When you go for the sea trail, make sure the engine is COLD. You want to hear a cold start.
      6. When you are there, use a small hammer and lightly tap on the stringers and transom inside (and outside) the boat. I doubt you will hear anything but nice, solid, ringing fiberglass, but this is the best way to test for rot. If there is any, it will sound like you're hitting an old rotten log....hollow, dead, and springy.
      7. Check all electrics - gauges, trim, stereo, lights, etc. Make sure the bimini top is there and can be erected, and the carpet liners are there as well. Canvas is big bucks to replace or put in place if missing, and the bimini top will be the one key to your enjoyment of the boat.
      8. Do a full inspection of the engine. Look for leaks or cracks in the block. It's just a marinized GM 305 if that helps you. Look for leaks on the black exhaust components on either side of the engine - there are manifolds and risers, with a gasket in between. If those leak and go bad, you are looking at overheating issues.
      9. Now take the boat out and run it. You want at least a 1 hour sea trial, at all engine speeds. Here is where your P.I.G. print out will come in handy. Make sure the boat is running at 175 degrees warm, and 40 psi of oil pressure. Run the boat on plane, and note the RPMs at speed compared to the P.I.G.

Here's the key: If the boat cannot hit the rated wide-open RPM, the next thing you need to look at is the prop. If the boat is propped correctly (again, compare the prop size with the P.I.G.) then that's another indication that the engine is not healthy. Otherwise, it will indicate that the boat's prop has been replaced with a non-standard size.

Bingo...there's your boat survey that you'd otherwise pay $400 for.
      Matt

Apparently Lexus is making a yacht now with Marquis-Larson.. LY650

https://www.lexus.com/future/LY-650/

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      You didn't buy a Highlander tow vehicle to NOT haul your boat places. Haul it down to Chi-town so me and smoothman can go for a cruise. Beer and gas on us.
      If the weather ever decides to break, you're on.
      Matt

If the weather ever decides to break, you're on.
      TBH, I have like 2 free weekends all summer. Got 2 weddings, a trip to France, couple weekends away, and various wife activities putting me on kid duty, I'm basically all booked up already.

As far as evaluating it:

1. Read Platinum's links on the Product Info Guide (P.I.G.), and memorize RPMs at key speeds - 30 mph and wide open, primarily, as well as what the top speed is. Better yet, print it out and take it with you, because you will be measuring the boat against those numbers.
      2. Schedule an appointment for a sea trial/test drive. No sea trial, no deal. Be prepared to throw $50 their way for fuel and time if they ask for it.
      3. Ask for any maintenance records that the boat has.
      4. Ask for the boat to have an engine compression test, and a drive pressurization test. The compression test will reveal a bad engine, the drive pressure test will expose any leaks or seal issues in the drive.
      5. When you go for the sea trail, make sure the engine is COLD. You want to hear a cold start.
      6. When you are there, use a small hammer and lightly tap on the stringers and transom inside (and outside) the boat. I doubt you will hear anything but nice, solid, ringing fiberglass, but this is the best way to test for rot. If there is any, it will sound like you're hitting an old rotten log....hollow, dead, and springy.
      7. Check all electrics - gauges, trim, stereo, lights, etc. Make sure the bimini top is there and can be erected, and the carpet liners are there as well. Canvas is big bucks to replace or put in place if missing, and the bimini top will be the one key to your enjoyment of the boat.
      8. Do a full inspection of the engine. Look for leaks or cracks in the block. It's just a marinized GM 305 if that helps you. Look for leaks on the black exhaust components on either side of the engine - there are manifolds and risers, with a gasket in between. If those leak and go bad, you are looking at overheating issues.
      9. Now take the boat out and run it. You want at least a 1 hour sea trial, at all engine speeds. Here is where your P.I.G. print out will come in handy. Make sure the boat is running at 175 degrees warm, and 40 psi of oil pressure. Run the boat on plane, and note the RPMs at speed compared to the P.I.G.

Here's the key: If the boat cannot hit the rated wide-open RPM, the next thing you need to look at is the prop. If the boat is propped correctly (again, compare the prop size with the P.I.G.) then that's another indication that the engine is not healthy. Otherwise, it will indicate that the boat's prop has been replaced with a non-standard size.

Bingo...there's your boat survey that you'd otherwise pay $400 for.

You guys are awesome -- amazing information throughout this thread. Thank you.

Regarding the bottom paint, I was somehow under the impression that zebra mussels didn't attach to fiberglass. Did some quick research and found I was wrong. So I guess it's a good thing after all!

Grew up on boats since I was 4, always had one in the family I could use but it was usually all of us. There really isn't a better way to spend a weekend.

This was our last boat. I'm looking to get another one of my own in the next year or two after moving to Lake Norman.

worked from Charleston this past week and our coworker took us out in his 2013 2013 Chaparral 257 SSX. we had 10 on the boat and it still felt effortlessly quick and rode the Charleston harbor (?) area chop really well.

welcome to the layer cake

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Apparently Lexus is making a yacht now with Marquis-Larson.. LY650
      I wonder if Mark Levinson and Marquis-Larson know each other.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

jet boats are kind of a thing here, and boatnik was last weekend.........

Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

a picteresque landscape... thanks for sharing )

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast