VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Buyer Beware: 65k mile 98 GTI Vr6 (Pittsburgh Area)

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  cgeromi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

A few days ago I went to look at 65k mile 1998 gti VR ginster yellow. The car was originally on bringatrailer.com (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-volkswagen-golf-4/). The car is now on Craigslist Pittsburgh (https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/carnegie-1998-gti-vr6-only-65k-original/6874198453.html) for $10,000 LOL!!

I personally drove 4.5 each way to see this car. I wanted let everyone know the car is not what it appears!! The owner simply painted over the rust. There is major hidden rust/rot inside the passenger rear wheel well. The rot goes all the way up through to the gas cap. The gas cap area was sprayed over with new paint but under the paint is rust. The car has MAJOR rust just covered up by paint. With the extent of rust I saw in the wheel well, the rear shock will most likely push through anytime. In general this car has been masked by a new paint job.

In addition, the entire underbody was sprayed with black undercoating. I believe the floor boards have major rust and has now been covered with the undercoating to conceal the typical mk3 floorboard rot.

The motor sounds ok but I also hear some faint timing chain noise. The rear ebrake is also sticking and in need of repair.

The car is still a cool car but the hidden rust is major. I owned a black 98 gti VR for 13.5 years so I cAn say I know these cars very well. Anyone paying 10k or even half that would be insane!!

Being a very honest car enthusiast I wanted to spread the word and make people aware of this car for sale.

And if you don't believe me, go see the car for yourself and put your hand in the passenger wheel well and push up. I did on Thursday and my hand went right through the rotted body.

Help me spread the word before someone gets suckered!! Caveat emptor!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.