G80/G82 M3 & M4 Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

G80/G82 M3 & M4 Thread

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Really looking forward to these. I love the AWD traction of the RS3 compared to the spin-fest of the F8X if the conditions or road surface wasn't right. If the G8X has a RWD mode, it'll be the best of both worlds. Hopefully the S58 solves the sound issue of the S55, and then it'll be game on
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach,
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2018 Raptor crew cab, 2017
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

The front end is gonna be the same as the upcoming 4 series, just like the E90 and F80. It won't look like that rendering above which is essentially an m340i with an m850i grafted on. From what insiders are saying, I think the new design will be quite divisive...

The M3 will use the new design format to be introduced with the next generation 4er. The front of the car is from the new 4er. And that includes the huge taller kidney grille. We will learn more about the M3 this Summer.

I hope it looks more like this than the electric car above.

Debuts in September at Frankfurt Auto Show (presumably the concept G80 M3)
      Our info has production beginning in 2020

Entry level models will develop 480bhp, while the more powerful "Competition" flagship will produce 510bhp
      Our info indicates three models and power levels - 444hp (Pure model), 475hp ("base" model), and 500hp (Competition model)

Selectable four-wheel-drive system like the M5, allowing the driver to send all of the engine's power to the rear wheels
      Our info indicates some versions will have RWD, others xDrive; both manual and automatic transmissions will be available

Lighter and more agile due to adoption of BMW’s new CLAR platform
      Last edited by TheCool; 05-07-2019 at 01:31 AM.

I've been lusting after an F80 M3 for a while, I have yet to see the new G20s in the flesh but this looks great.
      Maybe the fanfare means I can find a used manual one for a bit less when the time comes! (typical TCL, I know)

Get ready for $100K M3 Competitions....
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

Kind of bums me out how convergent performance cars are becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      So would you buy it if it was one wheel drive?

Twin turbo + all-wheel drive + DCT?

I agree, though MB is still offering a V8 + RWD.

Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post

For now. Would not be surprised if the next crop went to AWD and used their new I6.

Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      Honestly though, I spec'd a 2020 M340i the other day and hit $63K with ease. The base MSRP on the new M3 is going to be what $65K?

At these prices the only reason you go this route is because you need the seats and can't live with a Cayman or a Hawc Spec 911.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Really looking forward to these. I love the AWD traction of the RS3 compared to the spin-fest of the F8X if the conditions or road surface wasn't right. If the G8X has a RWD mode, it'll be the best of both worlds. Hopefully the S58 solves the sound issue of the S55, and then it'll be game on
      All of this. AWD traction for a DD just can't be beat. And from the sounds of the X3M and X4M the S58 sounds better than the S55 I think so really looking forward to this car.

It's not going to be a DCT. It'll be the ZF 8 speed auto most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      It's not going to be a DCT. It'll be the ZF 8 speed auto most likely.
      For the M?

For the M?
      Sure, why not.

We will see what happens with the G chassis 2 series, if they even make it.

Not sure why AWD bums people out. I love RWD, but it's at it's best with smallish lightweights and/or cars without gobs of power. The M3 hasn't been that for 20 years. With a 112" wheelbase and, say, ~3700lbs, I'll take the extra complexity and 150lb weight every time, especially if you can turn it off easily.

Also FWIW, the ability to turn off xDrive isn't exactly new. The cars were always built RWD with a clutch to enable the front drives. I was able to turn off xDrive in my E92 with some coding; the computer left the clutch open and threw a "4x4" warning. What's new is the ability to do it quickly and easily without warning lights in a supported manner.

G80/G82 M3 & M4 Thread

I'm surprised they aren't making it AWD with selectable RWD like the M5.

Edit: apparently I missed it, they are.
      Last edited by Hostile; 05-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      When I recently looked, the Chandler AZ BMW dealer had 4 current M4's in stock - and all stickered north of $110k due to how optioned-up they were. And yes that's factory sticker, not some ADM baloney. Un-freaking-believable.

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      When I recently looked, the Chandler AZ BMW dealer had 4 current M4's in stock - and all stickered north of $110k due to how optioned-up they were. And yes that's factory sticker, not some ADM baloney. Un-freaking-believable.
      The BMW dealer here does the same thing. They check all the boxes on all their cars when they are ordered.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      The BMW dealer here does the same thing. They check all the boxes on all their cars when they are ordered.
      Yep. Even plebe 330s get optioned well into the high 40s on the dealer lot. If I were going to buy a new BMW, I'd go for a Euro delivery order without question. Anyhow, I just hope the rumor of an enthusiast spec RWD manual car turn out to be true. I have nothing against AWD per-se, but it's unnecessary weight and complication in a car like this for those who don't need winter capability.

Both the Evo and Autocar articles posted in the OP mention that the new M3 will have "switchable" RWD mode, just like the current M5.

AMG will be going exclusively AWD for their future cars as well, that's been announced. I'll bet the next C63 will also have a RWD mode, like the E63 does.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Not sure why AWD bums people out. I love RWD, but it's at it's best with smallish lightweights and/or cars without gobs of power. The M3 hasn't been that for 20 years. With a 112" wheelbase and, say, ~3700lbs, I'll take the extra complexity and 150lb weight every time, especially if you can turn it off easily.

Also FWIW, the ability to turn off xDrive isn't exactly new. The cars were always built RWD with a clutch to enable the front drives. I was able to turn off xDrive in my E92 with some coding; the computer left the clutch open and threw a "4x4" warning. What's new is the ability to do it quickly and easily without warning lights in a supported manner.
      I mean the E39 and E60 were about as big, powerful and way heavier... but still made do with RWD only.

They might as well make a regular 3 above the M340i like an M350i or something... then sharpen and focus the ///M3/4.

The way things are looking now, might as well get a C63 or RS5. What's the differentiator?

I mean the E39 and E60 were about as big, powerful and way heavier... but still made do with RWD only.

They might as well make a regular 3 above the M340i like an M350i or something... then sharpen and focus the ///M3/4.

The way things are looking now, might as well get a C63 or RS5. What's the differentiator?
      I mean I don't think RWD is bad or that they "made do" with it; those were fantastic cars. Rather, I don't think AWD is a compromise on a car with some size/mass to it. If you added 5% drivetrain loss and 150 lbs to the front of a Miata, yeah, that'd ruin the car. To an M5 or an M3? I believe that's 2nd order compared to the traction it gives you.

And as far as differentiators, I'd guess the G8x will still likely have a more balanced and responsive chassis than the RS5 or C63, but is convergence really a bad thing if they're all getting better?

They are.

I'm sure this car will be a monster, although very expensive, and the Comp version will come out like four months later. That 4GC looks amazing tho.

Wonder what CDN pricing will be?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast