a g350 - 2dr turbo diesel box (w463 gwagen content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar

a g350 - 2dr turbo diesel box (w463 gwagen content)

quick backstory - dads been looking for one of these for years.

so long that hes seen prices rise a bit for the 4dr diesel manual models he was really after. the owner of one of the big import repair shops in town is good friends with the guy who started europa in new mexico, and hes been in touch with those guys for a while keeping an eye out for something that looked worthwhile.

hes also test driven some real basket cases locally, and had a friend look at some real rust buckets on ebay in florida. everything was either 40k+ or a full on rolling restoration w460 project.

fast forward to a couple weeks ago.

i spotted this auction on second daily's instagram account and jokingly forwarded it to him, thinking he wouldnt be that into it.

a 2dr wasnt really his ideal configuration but the om606 turbo was nice (he had complained about the speed of the older trucks he test drove), and the exterior color and black leather were enough of a draw to throw some bids in.
      the auction ended before the reserve (24k) was met, but the next morning he got an email from second daily saying the seller was willing to take his 17k high bid.
      for the money, it seemed like a no brainer.

looking back through the interwebz, the previous owner bought it off second daily a bit over a year ago (shes on instagram - emily oberg)

she put a fair bit of maintenance into the thing but seems like she wanted out.... i can imagine paying someone else to constantly futz with this thing would be pretty draining

it rolled off the delivery truck this weekend, and we put a few miles on it around town to shake it down.

nothing jumps out immediately but there plenty of little things.
      it has some rust of course, we'll see a bit better once we get it in the air just how serious but from crawling around under it nothing that looks fatal.
      the previous owner paid someone to put a new injection pump on, but it will probably need some new underhood fuel hoses as well.
      there are some missing trim bits and screws inside, the tach doesnt work, the headlight levelers dont work, and the drivers window is flakey (sounds like the regulator, motor seems strong), the wipers dont work, it has an iffy aftermarket alarm and has probably been rekeyed as the locks dont all work off of the key we got.
      all of this we knew going in, but compared to some of the basket cases he's seen, usually with asking prices north of 20k, i think this was a really good deal.

will probably get full fluids and go from there

the interior is generally in really good shape, all the 4wd doodads work well and everything shifts smoothly.
      ive only ridden in these, never been behind the wheel, but the driving position is pretty entertaining.
      reminds me a bit of a more comfortable defender and right down to the really short wheelbase. and the seats!.. oh man.. they put the seats in my '95 w124 to shame. so nice.
      and nvh even with the diesel once youre under way is pretty subdued.

some quick pics fresh off the truck

ill try and keep this updated as some more work gets done, but im excited to see him finally behind the wheel of his own knowing how long hes been looking!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That’s awesome! What a great pickup by your dad.

I think it’s probably too fast for him with that motor, though. Perhaps even dangerous.

A caring son would swap in the motor from his E300 and take on the risk of that monster yourself...(*superturbodiesel*).

Damn. $17,000 is stealing it. I figured it'd be near $30k given the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That’s awesome! What a great pickup by your dad.

I think it’s probably too fast for him with that motor, though. Perhaps even dangerous.

A caring son would swap in the motor from his E300 and take on the risk of that monster yourself...(*superturbodiesel*).

that sent me down a (brief) rabbit hole of what it would take to add a turbo to my na 606... apparently all of the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Damn. $17,000 is stealing it. I figured it'd be near $30k given the color.
      as i recall thats about what the guy at europa figured as well, when he followed up on whether this one was worth pursuing

That's a great get for a great price. Love the color too.

I look at these from time to time. For that money it's very tempting to see if it gives my wife's Jeep a run.

Oh my lordy this is so cool.

Excellent choice. Would buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

You stole this thing! I found it on CL and was watching the Second Daily auction but missed the last day. We also discussed it in the TCL West IG thread, where some, including me, were a bit freaked out by the South Dakota reg. A near twin of this car (same year and color) sold on BaT for 40k recently, so $17k was a steal. Also, that emily oberg seems to really be into G wagens and Defenders, per her IG.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      You stole this thing! I found it on CL and was watching the Second Daily auction but missed the last day. We also discussed it in the TCL West IG thread, where some, including me, were a bit freaked out by the South Dakota reg. A near twin of this car (same year and color) sold on BaT for 40k recently, so $17k was a steal. Also, that emily oberg seems to really be into G wagens and Defenders, per her IG.
      no doubt, she seems like quite the mb fan!

im assuming the SD reg could be an issue for someone trying to get it plated in CA? i dont know what emissions this thing would have had to pass to be CA plated but im sure she found it easier to work around the system... wont be an issue up here as we dont emissions test

was the 40k BaT 2dr in pretty solid shape? also a turbo 6?

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Lovely purchase. Great color too.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

The previous owner:

"No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

im assuming the SD reg could be an issue for someone trying to get it plated in CA? i dont know what emissions this thing would have had to pass to be CA plated but im sure she found it easier to work around the system... wont be an issue up here as we dont emissions test

You could never get that car legally registered here in California. They don’t follow the national 25 year old exemption rule here - if it isn’t a US market car, or built before 1975, they won’t accept it. Period.

So yeah, unless you’re trying to play games with the VIN, you have to get it registered somewhere else.

Back to more important things - congrats! You have the best slowest automotive fleet I know of, well done
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      You could never get that car legally registered here in California. They don’t follow the national 25 year old exemption rule here - if it isn’t a US market car, or built before 1975, they won’t accept it. Period.

So yeah, unless you’re trying to play games with the VIN, you have to get it registered somewhere else.

Back to more important things - congrats! You have the best slowest automotive fleet I know of, well done
      gotcha, that makes more sense then

well... this isnt mine.... but im excited to be peripheral to the ownership experience

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

Yep, same year turbo 6 with approximately the same mileage.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-benz-350gd-3/

#FREEPATRIKMAN
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post

For a direct import diesel, we are apparently good until 1979. Gas powered is screwy 1968 and up.

1979 model year and older vehicles with original-equipment diesel engines are exempt from Direct Import lab testing requirements. Please note that any vehicle converted to operate on diesel fuel is subject to lab testing requirements if it is a 1968 model year vehicle or newer.

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Black alcantara headliner too. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Yep, same year turbo 6 with approximately the same mileage.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-benz-350gd-3/

and reserve not met at 40... wow...

to be fair that does appear to have a little less rust, and some significant money spent on the interior - recovering those recaros to start with. and i wonder if its not 100% stock electrically as well (i think i see a factory stereo)
      i forget if i saw an ABS-off switch in the purple g.

anyway, thats wild, but a great data point. certainly makes 17k look like even more of a bargain

Everyone keeps saying SD reg.. But in the first picture, it almost looks like the UT arches plate, no?

What a sweet sweet ride man.

And, if people don't know, follow mountainwestcarspotter on IG (not my page), this dude is based in SLC and seems to find oddball and cool vehicles everywhere he goes.

for the plates - theyre the mt rushmore SD plates, the frame kind of covers the state marking

and a correction on the engine... its the 3.5l om603, not a 606

a quick update on this thing

there were some miscommunications with the title, so we're waiting for emily to get back from overseas to finish signing some remaining paperwork.

in the meantime my dads had a chance to crawl around it.

i think the importer she bought it from wasnt too careful with a lot of their "fixes" (thing wood screws holding waay too many things together )
      there are trim pieces in the back that are cracked from obvious neglect during reinstall. the map pockets were held on with wood screws, and of course cracked due to being improperly attached, they added some random switches to run a coolant pump, and the aftermarket alarm wiring is... interesting.

all solvable, but i can see how paying someone to tackle all of this and make it right might have made her lose some faith

a couple pictures, he did get a new window regulator in on the drivers side. that was also formerly "repaired" with some creative welding on a poorly fitting (different g chassis? maybe from a rear d/s door?) regulator. shockingly this didnt work for long.

the good news is the doors arent rusty, it has a couple spots near the rear but nothing too bad. small coolant drip on the upper radiator hose flange, but no other surprises under the hood.
      im not real happy with how it cold starts, but seems to clear up better if you do several key cycles, which makes me think itll need glowplugs especially as the weather cools down. easy enough though

more updates to come in the fall as things get shaken out.

I'm jus over here, vicariously living my "what if I were to purchase..." dreams through you. On that note, will there be a D2 Audi S8 soon?
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      I'm jus over here, vicariously living my "what if I were to purchase..." dreams through you. On that note, will there be a D2 Audi S8 soon?
      Something needs to replace the gaping prestige hole left by the Roller. Amirite?

the g is going to get some love coming up shortly

we found some more cleanup stuff on the engine that needs doing
      primary related to all the injection lines, we'll do glow plugs while we're in there, and some cooling hose and various gaskets while the system is drained and we have the intake apart.

pics of all this fun to come soon...

also, as we've been spending more time crawling around this thing checking stuff out, the more and more we get the sense that it may have left europe "unwillingly"...
      none of the keys match. the ignition tumbler doesnt appear to be the appropriate one for this year - it doesnt have that inverted 90s mercedes key and theres trim missing on the tumbler.
      there was the aforementioned hastily repaired and russian labeled drivers side window regulator.
      anyway enough things that just seem not quite right, that one cant help but wonder...

all of this makes me think id have a hard time recommending the importer - who went by sdc_sales on seconddaily - but i cant seem to find a website for them.
      how youd pass this thing along with all of these oddities - and neglect to mention them! - seems fishy at best.

we did do a vin run and it showed as originally having been delivered in belgium.
      sdc claimed to have gotten it from italy, who knows. 1992 was a long time ago and cars move around. but they didnt provide/we didnt get from emily any paperwork on the trucks life pre-sdc or proof that it was italian. the color and options match at least

either way though, we'll make it right! and it should be an interesting adventure.

What's the name of the color?

I'm having visions of a C124 or C36 in that shade and it would be a knockout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast