VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mk4 golf 2.8 v6 intake back fire

24K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mk4jamez2.8 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I’m new to this site and am in great need of some advice I recently bought a mk4 golf 2.8l v6 4motion now the car had been sat around and I bought it with the intention of a project just as a bit of fun, now the problem I’m having is it backfires out of the air intake and has broken the intake it’s self now it won’t start but very time I have tried it wants to back fire. Iv got a new intake coming but do t want to fit it until I have rectified The problem. Can any one help me ( has anyone had the same problem) or any idea on what it could be

Cheers James

#2 · (Edited)
This thread should be moved to the VR6 (transverse) forum. It's not a V6 (longitudinal) engine.

That said, are all the plug wires in the right positions on the 6-pole coil pack? If so, does the coil pack have any noticeable cracks? Try running it in the dark and watching for sparks.

If not ignition or coil pack related, it sounds like the cam timing is off (or possibly a bent valve).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.