Scammer disguised as a new member

10K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  EPilot 
#1 ·
lion222
n00b
Join: about 8 hours ago

about 3 hours ago
old Audi catalytic converters
You can try Morgan,he has a old Audi catalytic converters he wants to part with.Here's his email Robgm365 @gmail.com Goodluck...

This is the 2nd time they’ve contacted me
about my wtb ad. The 1st time the guy used
pics off google. Could provide no details and then demanded payment as a gift.
I then checked the account that referred
me to the email address. A week old account that was already banned.

Now they opened up another account and
contacted me about the same bull****. These scumbags are relentless.

Please be careful and never contact “another person” via email and also avoid people who demand payment as a gift.
New accounts using this verbiage are all scammers. Do not answer them and immediately report them.

MODS PLEASE BAN!!!!!

See less See more
#6 ·
I just had this exact scam PM'd to me from a user named Pete04 (noob with zero posts). He refered me to a "friend" who had an item I was looking for. He said to email this friend. The friend said he had the item at an astoundingly low price. The catch, pay via PayPal friends and family. Needless to say I did not pay for the item.

#7 ·
Same thing happened to me today. When I asked if he had another item for sale that I was looking for, he referred me to a different friend that had the item at a very low price as well. Needless to say, it took my dumbass learning the hard way. I paid the first guy because the name sounded familiar through the forums and I was so pumped to have found the manifold I was looking for. He seemed legit through conversation but it didn’t take me long after I hit send to figure out that it was a scam. Hopefully my bank ends up helping me out on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
And another

n00b
HI
02-11-2020 06:36 AM
IF you are still in need of digifant 8V intake manifold - West Chester PA 19382 contact Mr mark clowsan via mclowsan@gmail.com he want to sale

Also have you noticed the cabriolet forums have been off the hook recently with bogus postings? I haven't clicked any of the links but it certainly trash

#22 ·
Harryt12 and Mandata77

Both are scammers. Reached out to me in the same way.."I know someone that has ... for sale." Had me contact 'Donald Reed' who sent me google images of a supercharger. Didn't even know what it was and claimed to own the supercharger rebuild website that the images were posted on. I confirmed that they didn't with the real website owner.

Mandata77 reached out in the same way, telling me to contact Elvis Mendez who sent me the first images on google for 'Mk3 Supercharger kit'. Tracked their IP address(Nigeria) and sent it back to them :p Haven't been contacted by a scammer since.

I'm pretty sure its either the same person or a ring of people working together. Stay safe, online and offline.

-Spoon

#25 ·
New scamming tactic

Put out a WTB for a mk5 gti steering wheel. Immediately got messages saying “I know someone selling this, here’s the email...”

Got those messages from the following users:

Frankjohn24
Macha
Morgmike
Moustapha09
Michael99

Then a user named chrispatterson messaged me. Join date 3 days ago. Kept messaging back and forth because I knew it was fishy. Finally got to him wanting PayPal funds as gift so he can “cash it and hurry up and ship.”

I suggested taking a picture of the wheel, with a post it note of username and date. Obviously he refused.

Oh and they’re all sayin they’re using their wife’s PayPal.

#26 ·
Put out a WTB for a mk5 gti steering wheel. Immediately got messages saying “I know someone selling this, here’s the email...”

Got those messages from the following users:

Frankjohn24
Macha
Morgmike
Moustapha09
Michael99

Then a user named chrispatterson messaged me. Join date 3 days ago. Kept messaging back and forth because I knew it was fishy. Finally got to him wanting PayPal funds as gift so he can “cash it and hurry up and ship.”

I suggested taking a picture of the wheel, with a post it note of username and date. Obviously he refused.

Oh and they’re all sayin they’re using their wife’s PayPal.
Posted a WTB for a roof rack for a B7 Passat a few days ago.

Moustapha09 replied. Clicked the profile name and of course new member as of 05/20.

Checked his/her other post replies and when asked “what’s your location?,” I saw either Texas or California.

Phishy for sure.

-2014 Passat TDI SEL
Malone Stage 2 "Econo" Tune.
Rawtek DPF, EGR, DEF Delete Performance Kit. Straight Pipe. No resonator and no cat.

#31 ·
Wish I would of stumbled upon this before. I just fell victim to this scam by Emanuel which is now banned. I posted that I was looking for a vr6 12v crank and got pms within minutes. So I was emailing gregdrummer1987@gmail.com and I asked for close up pics with they sent so everything seemed fine till I sent the money. After I sent confirmation they didn’t even ask for shipping address. So I sent my address and the following day asked for the tracking. They sent me a tracking to a package that had been delivered to California I live in NY. So needless to say a couple days went by got an email back saying it was the virus and that was all I heard. Got robbed for $110....lovely. Low life’s

#36 · (Edited)
To report a PM click the triangle with the exclamation mark inside.

All the new screen names have been banned.

PLEASE! IF SOMEONE WITH A LOW POST COUNT IS OFFERING YOU SOMETHING THROUGH PM OR SOMEONE WITH A LOW POST COUNT IS OFFERING YOU SOMETHING RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. REPORT THEM AND LET THE MODS SORT IT OUT. DO NOT SEND MONEY TO SHADY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE SELLERS.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.