VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ford Applies for ‘Mustang Mach-E’ Trademark

59K views 606 replies 126 participants last post by  loyfah 
#1 ·

Ford’s vision for the electric future is still hazy, but it clears a little more every day. The latest updates suggest that a Mustang Mach-E will be the name of Ford’s electrified Mustang.

AllFordMustangs.com has uncovered a pair of trademark applications with the European Intellectual Property Office for a fancy new Mustang badge (below) and the name “Mustang Mach-E.”

See Also: Ford Mach E Forum

Ford had previously applied with the EUIPO and the U.S. patent office for a trademark on the name Mach-E, but has now added Mustang to the name, suggesting that it won’t be applied to the electric crossover the brand has been teasing.

Meanwhile, reports have been flying around about the future of the Mustang more generally. Automobile reports that the Mustang will stay on the same platform until 2026 (with an update somewhere around 2022), while other sources report that Ford has killed the hybrid Mustang in favor of an all-electric model continue reading...

See less See more
#39 ·
Interested to see what the details look like, but over all I am liking this way more then I thought I would.

Very interested in seeing what the price/performance is on this. The first to market with a reasonably priced, good performing Electric SUV will have a hit on their hands.

#42 ·
I'm willing to bet it will be similar to what Tesla does with the all glass roof. Either way, I'm excited to see how this pans out. A lot of premium electric SUVs coming out while we already have entry level ones (Bolt, Niro, Kona, etc). Not many in the mid range. This should be pretty cool.

#61 ·
I have no problem with using the Mustang name on this EV crossover, and long as they don't call it a Turbo.

I do have a problem with the non-grill on the fascia. Either use a black faux grill, or use nothing.
Don't use a body-colored "plug" where the traditional grill would have been.
It looks stupid.
:thumbdown:

#63 · (Edited)
I don't mind Mustang EV, even in SUV form

I DO mind it doesn't look "Mustang" enough. It just look like a pre-facelift Tesla SUV with Mustang rear lights. :rolleyes: Without those rear lights it can be anything made by any brand.

Just look at it, it doesn't even look like a regular Ford... :facepalm:

Bentayga look like a Bentley
Cullinan look like a Rolls Royce
Stelvio look like a Alfa Romeo

#66 ·
I don't mind Mustang EV, even in SUV form

I DO mind it doesn't look "Mustang" enough. It just look like a pre-facelift Tesla SUV with Mustang rear lights. :rolleyes: Without those rear lights it can be anything made by any brand.

Just look at it, it doesn't even look like a regular Ford... :facepalm:
I would guess the design team decided early that it should not look like a regular Ford.

whatever 'regular Ford' is....:confused:

#69 ·
It looks like what a 2019 Windstar would look like. Who exactly is the target for this? Mustang bros will hate it for diluting the brand. The rest of the population will hate it because it reminds them of Mustang bros. This is a vehicle nobody asked for.

#70 ·
It looks like what a 2019 Windstar would look like. Who exactly is the target for this? Mustang bros will hate it for diluting the brand. The rest of the population will hate it because it reminds them of Mustang bros. This is a vehicle nobody asked for.
How many small or midsize BEV CUVs are out there presently?

The Model Y can't come soon enough, and just here on TCL we're complaining that Chevy doesn't offer the Menlo (CUV version of the Bolt) here. Plus there are BEV CUVs coming from Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and we already have the Audi eTron available. I think a lot of people are asking for this type of vehicle, and I think Ford made a smart move by capitalizing their Mustang brand, and giving their BEV CUV offering something "special" from the get go.

#73 ·
It would be, yes, but with the Mustang easily covering the price range of $40-70k or more if you include the GT500, the Mach-E might not be any better of a value than the long range Model Y. For so long we've been talking about how EVs would finally take off in the 2020s and so far I would say the 2020s are not going to disappoint for EV fans.

#76 · (Edited)
Everything just leaked:

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-must...low&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook

While we fully expect the final specs could change between now and the car’s actual debut, and that the information you’re about to see could be a placeholder of some sort, here’s what we know: the Mach E comes in five trims, starting as low as the $43,895 Select model. It goes from there to the Premium at $50,600, onto the California Route 1 at $52,400, the limited First Edition at $59,900, and finally capping off with the top GT model at $60,500.

All prices are before the $7,500 federal EV tax credit.

The Mach-E comes in rear- or all-wheel drive. Ford says the extended range RWD version of the Mach-E will be capable of 300 miles of range, while the GT model with select options will be able to hit a mid-three-second 0-60 mph sprint. Not bad at all.

Range is estimated at 270 miles for the First Edition, about 230 for the GT and Select, and then 300 for the others. Also not bad. The upper-trim cars seem to be AWD only.

Interestingly, the site says that the car will be able to gain 47 miles of range in just 10 minutes of charge. That’s still not quite as convenient as a gasoline fill up, but considering most EV charging is done at home overnight, it’s a nice time for a top-up to get you the final few miles home if you need it.

#82 ·
If it wasn’t for the Mustang bits, not bad. But it’s terrible.

#86 ·
If this was more like 35k.. ok.. but 50+ (45? With credits).. I’m sticking with Tesla or Polestar.

I agree the mustangification is a little forced. The Edge doesn’t have that look and it’s a fine looking crossover.

Also I’m sure they’re pissed at the web guy who uploaded these assets too soon.. This seems to keep happening and I’m surprised companies don’t have protocols in place to prevent it. It’s not that hard.

#89 ·
You know, throw some round lights on the back and it wouldn’t look too bad. Could have been the Ford GT-E.

#90 ·
Exactly

2000JettaGLXVR6;113880029[B said:
]Time will tell. But I see the current demographic intersecting in the Venn diagram of EV drivers who want luke warm Mustang styling is non-existant.
[/B]
If they wanted a more halo EV offering, they could have done something more along a Ford Aviator EV.

Instead we get an Alfa Stilvio blob that consumed a Mustang. Why is it so jelly bean when the Mustang is so dang chiseled and sexy. Did they go back to the Mach 3 concept?

That's the first thing I thought when I saw it, "who is going to but this thing?"

Tesla made hay off of badge whores and image seekers. But Mustangs cater to the performance crowd. At local Ford meetups that crowd doesn't give two feks about EVs. This thing won't draw that crowd into an EV CUV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.