Back To My Roots: A Suzuki Samurai Project - Page 23
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
      I decided that I don't have the room to keep the stock wheels and tires, so I put them up on Craigslist. I haven't gotten any hits on them yet, so if you know anyone, please send them my way.

I finally got around to installing the audio system over the past few days. Everything works and sounds great, I'm very pleased. The amp is 4 channel, powering both the front and rear speakers. Thankfully there is no distortion from the front speakers, as the Pioneer amp has a switch on it to cut all low frequencies from those speakers. I'm letting the rear boxes produce the lows. Overall not bad for a budget system of that period, which I think I have just over $200(current dollars) invested in.

The Pioneer GM-X304 Amp:

The Pioneer TS-TRX40's

I wasn't able to use the elusive mounting brackets for the rear speaker boxes because of the size limitations in the Samurai, between the rear seat belt retractors. I velcro'd them to the carpets and I think they will be OK like that. I was also on the fence on whether I should mount them where I did or to the tailgate instead. Mounting to the tailgate might have been a bit cooler, but would have required a lot more wiring and removal of interior panels that I didn't want to deal with at the present time. I can always do that at a later date, if I wanna get fancy.

Overall, this system replicates what I had in my old Samurai quite well and also, with the addition of the amp, enhances it greatly. Listening to the same vintage hip hop cassettes I used to listen to 30 years ago, in my old Samurai, while driving this thing down the road, really hits me in the nostalgia feels.
      Last edited by Veedubgti; 10-08-2020 at 12:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm currently in search of a MOMO steering wheel like this. Shooting for 380mm, but 360mm might work if I can get one without loose stitching, which seems to be an issue. I guess they came on early-90's Jimnys as part of an upgrade package. All the ones I've found on ebay look like they've been driven by people with sandpaper gloves on their whole lives. If anyone sees one in their travels, please let me know:

Last edited by Veedubgti; 10-15-2020 at 04:44 PM.

That's a nice looking wheel.

Just a thought: How much does a quality recovering job cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post

Unsure, but I'd imagine with the average price of the used wheel being $300 shipped to me, it puts it in the "not worth the money" category once you factor in a recovering.

Quote Originally Posted by VR6GURU View Post
      That looks about as good as it gets!

Hope OP snags this before it's gone.

Received a quote on a re-wrap.....$299.

I don't want a MOMO bad enough to pay $600 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VR6GURU View Post
      Believe me, I've been eyeing that one for a while. The stitching is fraying out around a good amount of the circumference. I fear that with my luck, it will unravel on my maiden voyage with it, so I've held off.

Last edited by Veedubgti; 10-19-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar

i had looked into this for another project previously (and ended up buying a new nardi due to the cost) but there was a large wheel refinishing shop in texas that always came up in my searches. i chatted with them quite a bit on a half wood half leather refinish and those were running something like 500-600 once they had their hands on the wheel. a leather refinish was around 400 if i recall

any new aftermarket options that might be a close fit? or is the issue also getting the right hub for the 6 screw aftermarket wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      i had looked into this for another project previously (and ended up buying a new nardi due to the cost) but there was a large wheel refinishing shop in texas that always came up in my searches. i chatted with them quite a bit on a half wood half leather refinish and those were running something like 500-600 once they had their hands on the wheel. a leather refinish was around 400 if i recall

any new aftermarket options that might be a close fit? or is the issue also getting the right hub for the 6 screw aftermarket wheels?
      That's the place where I got the $300 re-wrapping quote from.

This wheel, in the 380mm size, seems fairly uncommon. The used ones all seem to include the Suzuki sized hub, which is great and will same me money in the log run. The same style wheel in 360mm is much more commonly available (and cheaper) on ebay and the like, but that size will cover a good amount of gauge visibility on the Samurai, which doesn't have a tilting option. Plus, no power steering, so leverage is key.

Honestly, I'm in no rush for a wheel, especially since the Samurai is going to be going into winter hibernation shortly. I will probably wait out a nicer one for similar money, but I'm definitely set on this model.

I went to the local pick and pull over the weekend and grabbed a few thing that I need to tie up some loose ends over the winter or sooner:

I foolishly threw out the stock Samurai EVAP canister when I originally pulled the engine, thinking I wouldn't need it/ever use it. I currently have the vent line unplugged at the tank. When I fill the tank up, the smell of fuel vapors is pretty bad, when parked in the garage, so I grabbed a couple. There are a few OBD2 Geo Trackers there, that have the bigger plastic tank. I wanted to use one of those, but I don't think there's enough room anymore Samurai engine bay. Luckily, there was also a pre-OBD2 Tracker, with the smaller metal canister type that comes stock on the Samurai, so I grabbed that, too.

To make this work with the ABA EFI, I grabbed an EVAP purge valve from an OBD2 Mk3. While I was in the Mk3, I also got the distributor hall sensor dust cover. Why you ask? Because the one that came on my engine mysteriously does not have the timing mark required to properly time the intermediate shaft to the cam and crank. When I did the timing belt before dropping the engine in, I noticed this and had to "fudge" it. Over the winter, I will verify the timing and adjust if the rotor doesn't perfectly line up with the mark.

I also grabbed a pair of Mk3 battery cables. The stock Samurai cables that I'm using, have reached their limit as far as neatly adding accessories to the wimpy stock post clamps. I strongly prefer Mk3 cables to clean everything up.

I also was out and about and took quite a few pics over the last few days, here are a few of my favorites. And yes, if you have a keen eye, you'll notice something missing on the Samurai in a few of them.....for good reason. More on that soon.

This was an old trail I used to take my first Samurai down in the early-90's. Sadly it is now gated and no longer accessible:

Last edited by Veedubgti; Yesterday at 01:59 PM.

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Veedubgti View Post
      This was an old trail I used to take my first Samurai down in the early-90's. Sadly it is now gated and no longer accessible:
      Awwww, man. I can relate.

There was a road that was "use at your own risk" when I was a kid. I'd take my Baja Bug up it, as it was about the only thing that would both a) make it up the hill and b) was narrow enough not to slide off the road and tumble down the hillside. It's not only blocked off now, but even knowing about where it was I can't seem to locate it. Nature has taken it back!

What's cool is that I have the road sign. A friend snagged it for my birthday one year. It's in the garage to this day. He was a cop and since it wouldn't be replaced it didn't cost the city any money, so the guilt is low. Very low.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

That looks fantastic.

Good job!

ABA OBD1 owner sighning in Nice swap my friend. I always love smelling my ABA after a much needed intalian tune-up run on the freeway

We need some Go-Pro trail vids offroad soon I'll never forget my first ride in a Samuari in the early 90's when I was in highschool. It was pouring rain, and my buddy whips a 360 in the middle of an intersection. Firt reaction was sheer terror, next was a sigh of relief that we were alive. I then thought how easy it was to correct in an all out spin

Anyways carry on

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223