VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

92corrado32L The Build Thread

24K views 118 replies 28 participants last post by  BMAN 
#1 · (Edited)
so this is a continuation for my original thread from the MK2 forum
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...t-Tuning-1985-Golf-Restoration-an-Mod-thread-!

Instagram http://www.instagram.com/92corrado32l/

basically swapping shells from my MK2 to a Corrado and using all the cool parts from the MK2 including 3.2L motor and Wavetrac equipped 02J trans

the MK2

found this gem in Lancaster CA without motor or trans

little bit of a trek with the uhaul equipment

took it to the coin car wash while it was still mobile and dumped it off at work

the MK2 teardown begins (and no I can't have 2 project cars at work so 1 had to go...and quick)

I'm getting pretty good at ripping this thing apart

it was only a few days they were both around in the same space :(

Byron took the old shell off my hands, he's been around the scene for 15-20 years (same as me) doing track events in MK2s and MK3s
It was basically a rolling shell with complete interior w/ recaros and dash etc..

now time to work on this,

See less See more
#38 ·
Maybe you posted it and I missed it but I am unclear whey you have a Vr Corrado and I see a VR wiper assembly and you needed to switch to the Mk2 ( or G60) style wiper motor plug.

The reason why I am mentioning it is because the G60 (Mk2) harness Uses the Same Colors as the VR, but there are actually 2 wires that are swapped and will cause a Direct Short if used 1:1. You may know this, it may be irrelevant, but thought I would mention.

#40 · (Edited)
#43 · (Edited)
so the holidays have been crazy, not a ton of progress as far as wrench time, but plenty of 'online ordering of parts' type progress

spare corrado vr6 muffler (mainly for the tip)

grabbed some Corrado font floor mats from Spoonfed Tuning :thumbup: Thanks James

https://www.spoonfedtuning.com/coll...ado-black-floor-mats-set-of-4-designer-series

ebay'd some better door striker pins, the teflon on mine were gone

Grabbed a bunch of goodies from Phenix Engineering too

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/

And lastly I was a able to find a new turn signal lens here in the states :thumbup:

#45 · (Edited)
one of the last major steps before starting it up is the fuel situation, first step is hand pumping out the old gas in the tank

pulled the stock fuel pump out and broke some fittings, no biggie they need to be replaced anyways

old and almost odorless gas

$10 harbor freight pump wasn't perfect, but it worked good enough to get all 3 or 4 gallons out

mopped up the last bit with some clean rags, nice and dry now!

put some new return and supply lines in to the fuel filter from the tank, ABA stainless clamps too

these ended up in the dumpster, OEM fuel lines and filter

and here is the simple setup I reused from the MK2 (MK4 black supply line and MK5 R32 fuel filter with built in FPR in a MK3 plastic holder) MK5 R32 is returnless so its pretty easy.
Also MK4 is the first gen VW to run the quick disconnect 'dorman' style fittings so thats why I run that, perfect length

Lastly added some fresh 91 octane gas & 104 booster (California problems):thumbup:

#48 ·
Yes its returnless, so only 1 line to the fuel rail since its all MK5 R32 style, I did leave the oem corrado vent line to charcoal canister setup untouched
the black plastic MK4 supply line I got used from the junkyard off a MK4 Jetta 1.8T, the 2 rubber soft lines from the pump to the filter are basic 5/16" low pressure fuel line you can source from pep boys etc..

#59 ·
What does KW spec the out for the location of the helper springs, above or below the primary? Last I heard the primary went on the top so the weight of it would keep the helper spring from rattling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.