VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

X-Force CBE For Mk7.5

21K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  livewoutlimit 
#1 ·
https://xforceusa.com/product/es-vw11-vmksb-cbs/

Seems like a relatively new addition to the FL Mk7 or Mk7.5 and a relatively cheap option with prices in the $1300’s.

Any members have one installed that can provide video clips? I’ve seen the few already on the companies webpage and YouTube.

Also any feedback from owners on the quality, drone, installation etc. would be great.

#2 ·
X2. It’s the only system I’ve had my eye on and I can’t find a distributor here in Canada. It sounds perfect for me. Some videos for anyone who hasn’t heard them yet:

https://youtu.be/uJ47mdBt4bM

https://youtu.be/Zuhu2Mocej4

Just found that second video, **** me that’s good. But, I’d love to hear about the build quality and drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Another one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Golf_R/com...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I’m taking the plunge. Summitracing.com has them for $1296 with $100 off and free shipping. Seems like a great deal, you can control the valves by GPS, RPM, and manually it also comes with two remotes and it has an app.
Man I’m so happy for you, can’t wait to hear this thing. Definitely post a review in here about the app/build quality/drone once things are installed [emoji16]

#10 ·
Got my exhaust delivered yesterday afternoon. Installed it today and took it for a spin. Initial thoughts, it’s louder over stock for sure. Nice burbles and some DSG farts, I expect that it only gets better with a downpipe.

I need to get some more photos of the install, and do a full write up so anyone else that attempts this install themselves can learn from my experience. It is definitely doable, as I’ve just done it solo with no lift, in my garage, but it took a full day. I took a lot of breaks to research and explore as the instructions, which aren’t provided are terrible.

I really like the app it comes with and all the options there are to change the valve settings.

#13 ·
I am *REALLY* close to ordering this puppy for my Mk7 R... Just need to research to see if I need anything else to mate my APR DP to this catback without reducing and then expanding again...

I love the idea of app and geolocation control for the valves! Badass!

#16 ·
Just need to research to see if I need anything else to mate my APR DP to this catback without reducing and then expanding again...
Hopefully this photo helps some, the X-Force meets the mid-pipe with a 3” diamond shaped, two holed, flat attachment. It comes with a reducer for stock mid-pipe/DP attachment using the factory pipe clamp.

#24 ·
Audio measurements

So I didn’t realize this decibel app requires you to upgrade to pro to export the audio files. But here is a photo of the recorded results. All in cabin near dashboard.

S=Sport Mode (DSG)
D=Drive Mode (DSG)
0= Fully Closed Valve
100=Fully Open Valve

Like I’ve mentioned as well as others, there is a matrix mode that allows for the dynamic tuning of valve position based on RPMs, Throttle Input, Speed. So drone is extremely manageable. Also this mode is the only mode that requires the OBDII to be connected continuously to use. This allows you to disconnect the OBDII for use with other things.

#29 ·
Thank you!!! Your max DB is hitting my cruise DB with valves closed when I'm at 80mph (and the cam changeover happens) on the AWE system (full turboback, catted, resonated). I think that everyone who does exhaust installs is missing this critical piece of info when describing the sound/drone. So I really appreciate you taking the time to check it.

#25 · (Edited)
So here is my write-up on the XForce Es-VW11-VMKSB-CBS Catback exhaust kit for the Mk7.5. I purchased this from summitracing.com for $1,296 and it took about a month to receive. My car is otherwise completely stock minus a MST TIP and GFB DVX.

Kit arrived via UPS with some damage to the box, all parts were unscathed after closer inspection.

No installation instructions included so hopefully you have some experience, I had none.
I called their customer service, and they sent them via email in like an hour.
http:https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e091a41f1ce6/VW_MK7_R_CAT_BACK1 (3).pdf

Unpacking and getting some rough weight estimates.

Now the removal of the factory exhaust. This is pretty straight forward. Plenty of videos online to reference for the uninitiated like myself.
Remove the rear cross brace and factory exhaust clamp.

Also the three bolts for the exhaust hangers.

The fourth exhaust hanger needs some finagling nothing some WD-40 and a pair of channel locks can’t handle though.

Exhaust off and a rough weight measurement.

The rear exhaust hanger on the resonator pipe wasn’t positioned right I had to adjust it a little to get a good fit. The one that isn’t bolted. This gave me some rubbing on the factory cross brace which I tried to fix by adding some washers to lower it about a 1/4”.

Maybe some different bushings will help, still messing with this.

Using some jack stands and some patience the rest bolted on somewhat easily.

Next the fun part, wiring up the smartbox to the valve. Lots of trim and panels to remove, this was my first time doing this so it took the most time. I came up through the right rear grommet behind the wheel well.

The wiring harness isn’t long enough to reach the passenger footwell.

To remedy this I tried a shorter route first but that still didn’t give me the reach I needed. So I used this cable -

as an extension although they claim it isn’t necessary because it’s for a dual valved setup which I don’t have. Nonetheless I used that cable to connect to the valve motor and brought it up into the car and connected it to the main wiring harness to give me the reach.

Removal of the factory valve cables throws a soft fault, no CEL. This is annoying only because their customer service said it wouldn’t. Not a big deal I’ll get the terminators off eBay.

The smartbox and the remote fob box sit in the passenger footwell and the accessory fuse, battery terminals and OBDII connector run through the center console. All pretty easy stuff.

They don’t provide good (any) instructions on the 12v accessory power fuse to tap into. I figured it out in these photos, this only comes on when the car is powered on.

Next the battery terminal connections have to be routed through the firewall, found the grommet in the drivers footwell, cut a hole and fished it through.

Still haven’t figured out the best path for the GPS antenna or if I’m even gonna use it..The trim panel along the windshield doesn’t come off easy at all felt like I was gonna break something plus there is an airbag in there so I am not using the gps atm.

To finish up there was a lot of cable management but it will fit behind that panel and some under the center console.

My biggest complaint is the fitment, maybe the rubbing on the cross brace is my lack of experience but I feel that it was due to their placement and angle of the rear resonator exhaust hanger. I will get it sorted but it’s annoying to get it adjusted then have the exhaust settle down again on it.

I will get some more videos up as I have time.

Edit: Spelling, and the remote fob batteries were dead, tested with a multimeter so I will have to source two 27A 12v batteries. Never seen these before.

#32 · (Edited)
I just ordered one of these, but I have a JB4 and I am not really interested in adjusting the valve based on engine parameters or GPS location. I am fine with pushing a button if I want it louder or quiet, but I do like the idea of being able to fine tune the sound with the app. So for those that have it, do you feel like that is a gimmick where after a while you just end up leaving it fully open or closed most of the time? Or have you actually found a certain percentage of valve opening that you prefer?

Since I am not going to be connecting to the OBD2 port I don't see any point in running wires to the front of the car. Does anyone know of a good spot out back to tap into accessory power?

I also got feedback that some folks found one of the tips was not perfectly straight, anyone else run into that issue?

Thanks.

#33 ·
I run the dynamic valve control with a custom map 99% of the time, valves fully closed below 3k rpm, or throttle below 50% and fully open beyond that. Fully open is just too loud at all times or places. Quality isn’t top tier but it is one of the cheaper options so I guess you get what you pay for. I believe there is 12v accessory power in the trunk above the right wheel well.

#35 ·
Keep in mind that in the video you referenced that setup is with their full turbo back kit. I have the same setup and there is too little difference between 25-50-75 valve positions vs open/close to make a big difference to me. The drive modes also come into play with this exhaust, the lower gears at higher rpm produce a better sound in sport than drive or eco modes do.

I like how quiet I can keep it when grabbin groceries and then open it up DSG fart when Honda’s wanna ride my bumper. Hope you get it dialed in just how you want because there is so much room with this setup to achieve whatever you’re after.

#36 ·
Thanks, I hope so too! :) And thanks for sharing your experience with it, after I get a chance to play with it I will reply here and let you know. This could be the official X-Force exhaust thread.

#38 ·
Yes, the OBD2 connection is only used if you want to control the valve based on RPM, throttle position... The app still works for fine tuning the valve opening, and the GPS function, and of course you get two remotes to open and close the valve at the press of a button.

#41 ·
I have it on my Mk7R ... the best exhaust sound imo!

go for it, you will not regret it. I have installed the varex box which allow me to control the valves from the mobile app using bluetooth but the other unit that is controlled by remotes, I have no idea what and where and how to connect it :p so it is still sitting in my living room.

#42 ·
but the other unit that is controlled by remotes, I have no idea what and where and how to connect it :p
Check my install write up above in this thread. Take a zip tie to sandwich the two boxes together. Find the short, grey, flat cable with a white end and network jack on the other end. Connect them and you now can use the remotes. They are all I use anymore.

#46 ·
Hey, I just wanted to add my own part to this thread. I just received and Installed my xforce exhaust. I have to say it is loud as all hell in the best way possible. The open setting on the valves is loud and aggressive with dsg pops that echo through the tunnels. On the other hand, the quiet mode is about as loud as the stock exhaust with a res delete and an extra low note to it. I opted for the system controlled with just the buttons, as I didn’t care for the Rpm control or the geo locating. Wiring was extremely easy, the only trim I had to remove was in the rear boot to feed the wire through the grommet and the two lower sides of the center console so I could feed the wire to the fuse box. Overall,1 I am absolutely in love with the fit, finish and sound of this exhaust. If anyone has any questions or wants clips I am more the happy to provide!

#48 ·
10 year lurker, new account, 3rd VW, first R (2019). I was hesitant on doing any mods for a year, but I pulled a "treat yo self" on my birthday back in June and ordered the XForce 3" Stainless Steel Cat-back W/ Varex Muffler, black tips, and CTS Turbo Intake. Was bummed that both were backordered.

Ended up also doing a UM ECU, TCU and Haldex tune when they installed the intake back in in the middle of June. Just got word the exhaust arrived this week, but I said **** it and ordered the CTS Turbo MQB AWD Exhaust Downpipe with HIGH FLOW CAT since they were gonna be down there anyways. Just waiting for that to show up, get installed and get the tune updated.

I searched around on exhausts for a while, watched a lot of videos, but overall loved how Tidy's R sounded with the XForce and downpipe. Plus I'm not "that guy" in my neighborhood or at work in the parking garage basement, so I'll definitely be utilizing the geo fencing, funny thing is, I didn't realize it already had it - lazy reader haha - and was going to try and figure out how to rig/modify it to do that anyways.

Now waiting on my custom steering wheel that is almost done, and planning on doing charge pipes and intercooler upgrades next.

#49 ·
I've just installed this exhaust in my '19 MK7.5R & wanted to share my installation experience since there still wasn't that much info out there. Overall fit & quality is good & as expected at this price range (not perfect, not terrible). I've opted to go with the version without the SmartBox BT system. So I'm just operating the valves with included 2 sets of remote. While testing I've learned you can partially open the valves by short pressing open button; took 4 short presses to fully open so it's approx. 25% each press.

It seems most would opt to run the valve wire plug thru a grommet that's in the middle of the trunk towards the latch. That would land the plug right on top of the heatshield towards the back, which is no problem. I've decided to use the rubber grommet all the way on the right side - it's above the exhaust tips. If you see photo below you'll see a medium-sized-bunch of wires which will go out thru that grommet.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk Electrical wiring Vehicle door

I figured I could keep all the wire & the Valve control box on the right side to keep it neater. I decided to use the cigarette plug for power, but wanted to tap into the actual wires. Because of this, I had to take more interior stuff out (even the rear seat bench had to come out in order for me to access.) I think adding the SmartBox will require you to run the wire to the front dash since you have to tap into a fuse & also the battery terminal, (OBD port if you choose to control valve based on throttle / speed).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Grey

Initially I was going to double-side tape mount this control box behind the felt trim, but there wasn't a perfect spot. Also, I figured I may want to see the red & green LED's since those are the 1st thing you'd probably need to check if valves weren't operating. I've used a velcro tape and stuck the box right on it. I put a small slit & ran the wire thru.
Car Automotive design Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior

I didn't take too many photos, but here are some extras. Tips are very well made & I can now understand why some companies good $ for these.
Tableware Drinkware Dishware Fluid Serveware

Testing the valves.
Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Recorder Wind instrument Gas

After the 1st test run. It's gloomy wet and salt on the road day here in NY.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

#50 ·
How do you like it so far? Are you running on a stock tune? Do you get crackles/pops on stock tune?
I was initially thinking about going with the smartbox, but now that you've shown and explained the extra work behind that installation, maybe I'll just go with the non-smartbox option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.