The 2020 F1 Countdown Thread - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 170 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
      Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Less Honda, more?
      I think the program is too expensive for the returns. I want Honda to be stabilized financially because I have a financial interest via my employment. If Honda leaving F1 means that we can fill job roles, then I'm all for it. Of course I want Honda in F1, but the shifting trends don't look good for that happening.

What I DON'T want happening is another era similar to the Ford DFV era.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I think the program is too expensive for the returns. I want Honda to be stabilized financially because I have a financial interest via my employment. If Honda leaving F1 means that we can fill job roles, then I'm all for it. Of course I want Honda in F1, but the shifting trends don't look good for that happening.

I agree. was just poking fun. I think F1 is a victim of its own decisions. They made these very complex rules, and were originally going for a turbo 4, but Ferrari vetoed and compromised for a V6. And now we have the most complex ICE in the world, and the FIA held that engine rule as is to help keep the existing manufactures around, alienating the new ones. Ironically, now we might have one(Honda) and maybe two (Renault) leaving the sport. I think a simpler formula will be of great value to F1. I wouldn't mind the DFV era if that meant more open rules on the chassis side.

Hinda>Honda>Hey Now!

I agree. was just poking fun. I think F1 is a victim of its own decisions. They made these very complex rules, and were originally going for a turbo 4, but Ferrari vetoed and compromised for a V6. And now we have the most complex ICE in the world, and the FIA held that engine rule as is to help keep the existing manufactures around, alienating the new ones. Ironically, now we might have one(Honda) and maybe two (Renault) leaving the sport. I think a simpler formula will be of great value to F1. I wouldn't mind the DFV era if that meant more open rules on the chassis side.
      I have mistyped "Hinda" so many times I'm going to just call it that

For me, I just think it's people and chemistry and time. Ferrari has been there so many times and just blundered the opportunities away, team and drivers.

For Honda, they suffered working with an inept McLaren and it's temper tantrum diva of a driver in Alonso, so much time was lost there. And not only that, it was a national embarrassment when Alonso said "GP2 engine" over the radio at the Suzuka GP. He was right that they were struggling but wrong to disrespect his team and it's home nation. I believe some of that still lingers.

Look at the progress Honda has made with Red Bull. Had Honda been there instead of with McLaren/Alonso they would be even further along today.

If Honda makes the calculation that F1 doesn't make sense for them I wish them well wherever they go. The void will be filled with someone else, F1 is still a viable platform.

All car companies are feeling the pinch now, Renault is under the microscope too. Formula 1 will change but it will also retain elements that make it expensive yes, but special too. It isn't and should never be a cookie cutter series.
      Last edited by Burnette; 12-13-2019 at 07:31 PM.

same, cut budgets, cut programs, cut holiday parties, etc, but once you start cutting people, it sucks. we're currently in the midst of cutting 2k jobs by Jan 2020. such is the industrial diesel engine market.
      welcome to the layer cake

and then Honda quits.

I can say that without a shadow of a doubt that Honda will not be back after 2021. There are rumblings that Honda may pull the plug on every other professional racing proposition save for IndyCar.
      Red Bull won't mind in my opinion. They were winning races even with a Renault engine. And about the same amount of race wins on the same circuits.
      So I guess they will get a customer engine and build the right car.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Vettel Misses Kimi Cover

I wonder what 2019 would have looked like if Ferrari kept Kimi. It would have provided Vettel with cover for sure. Leclerc got more out of the package and finished higher. Telling is Binotto's comment about Vettel adapting to the car, a trait he seems to be missing.

Which puts Vettel under even more pressure for 2020. I imagine we'll see some crazy starts and Ted mist moments for the first five races from Vettel as he tries to keep his seat:

Binotto wants to see Vettel motivation before deciding future

Last season Vettel finished in fifth place behind his teammate Charles Leclerc and his only race win came in Singapore. Mattia Binotto has revealed they will see how the German performs in the early races before making a call on the future but they want a good idea by the Spanish Grand Prix.

We have to see the performance, the way he (Vettel) adapts to the car and his motivation for the future,” Binotto told Autoweek.

It’s not about whether he makes mistakes or not. It’s really about how he sees his future and how we see our team.

“Ferrari has the advantage that we are very popular among the drivers. We are in a privileged situation. By the beginning of May, roughly around the race in Spain, we want to know where the journey will go in 2021.”

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/52179...ng-future.html

Quote Originally Posted by georgeboole View Post
      Red Bull won't mind in my opinion.
      You are correct. Red Bull have a great chassis package regardless of the engine powering it.

The comedy of errors that is Williams continues;

Red Bull reject Dan Ticktum has signed as Williams’ development driver, joining the team’s driver academy.

Earlier this year Ticktum, a double winner of the Macau Grand Prix, was dropped from Red Bull’s junior programme with team boss Christian Horner saying it just “wasn’t working out”.

However, the 2020 DAMS Formula 2 driver hasn’t been left out of the F1 picture for very long with Williams snapping him up.

The team announced on Tuesday that Ticktum had joined Williams’ driver academy in the role of development driver.

The 20-year-old will conduct simulator work and help with car development while also attending two race weekends with full driver integration.

“It is a privilege to be joining the Williams Racing Driver Academy, especially given Williams’ incredible heritage in our sport,” said Ticktum.

“The time in the simulator and experience working with the team will prove invaluable for my development.

“Being fully integrated into the operations will be a fantastic opportunity and I look forward to assisting wherever I can.”

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, added: “I am delighted that Dan, another exciting young British talent, has joined the Williams Racing Driver Academy.

His ability behind the wheel has been demonstrated with back-to-back successes at the prestigious Macau Grand Prix in 2017 and 2018.

“Dan’s technical expertise will prove invaluable to the team and we are looking forward to helping him grow and develop in 2020.”

This kid SUCKS. There is a reason RB cut ties with him.

I'm sure there arent tons of people lining up to be at Williams right now It's like you go there to end your career

Cant wait for the Australian Grand Prix. Need to book some plane tickets in advance. I need to first finish applying BlackJack Driveway Sealer I found a good review on https://bestdrivewaysealers.org/blac...sealer-review/ on my driveway though.
      Last edited by Babushka; 01-09-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post

This kid SUCKS. There is a reason RB cut ties with him.
      Red Bull cut ties w/ Pato O'ward too, and he doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      It was also Alonso's last win in a Renault.
      Actually, his last win in a Renault was Singapore 2008, thanks to some (cough) assistance from LOLPiquet.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Babushka View Post
      Cant wait for the Australian Grand Prix. Need to book some plane tickets in advance.
      Is there a particular website you recommend for travel and air fare?

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I'm sure there arent tons of people lining up to be at Williams right now It's like you go there to end your career
      For the most part you're right, but Rosberg, Bottas, and Hulkenberg came from Williams. Lately it's been a sh!tshow though
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2010 Audi A4 Avant | PAST: 2016 VW GTI, 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

serious question ... why would you not want an F1 DFV era?

-solves the issue of Mercedes winning everything
      -some of the most inventive chassis and aero revolutions
      -better racing
      -cheaper costs = more teams/cars/drivers

how exactly is this not a good thing?

"the engineering battle is fun to watch!"

no, it isn't.
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

True

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post

-better racing

no, it isn't.
      And orange cones. Needs more cones.

why would you not want an F1 DFV era?
      I would much rather have signature innovation than a standard formula ala IMSA/WEC/ACO

-better racing

no, it isn't.
      The only way a DFV type era would be good is if the regulations on the chassis side opened up significantly, to where we can see real innovation on that side. Otherwise, as restricted as it is today, it'll basically become a spec series.

I would much rather have signature innovation than a standard formula ala IMSA/WEC/ACO
      innovation makes for boring racing, and very high costs. innovation is why Mercedes wins it all, and why no one can afford F1 or LMP1.

i personally think indycar has hit on a good formula of balancing innovation with costs and good racing. id like to see IMSA rely more on regulation than BOP.

a DFV-like era with more open chassis and suspension regs would be cheaper, make for better racing, and thus grow the sport (both participants and viewers).
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

True

The only way a DFV type era would be good is if the regulations on the chassis side opened up significantly, to where we can see real innovation on that side. Otherwise, as restricted as it is today, it'll basically become a spec series.
      Agree, and I would never want it to become a spec series. If people like other series I say vote with your eyes and your money but pardon those who enjoy F1. But I have read just as much beeyotching about the other series here.

a DFV-like era with more open chassis and suspension regs would be cheaper, make for better racing
      This we agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Agree, and I would never want it to become a spec series. If people like other series I say vote with your eyes and your money but pardon those who enjoy F1. But I have read just as much beeyotching about the other series here.
      via Imgflip Meme Generator

Make the Indy500 part of the world championship again.

Make the Indy500 part of the world championship again.
      They will replace it with Miami GP.
      Anyway, I d love to see some of the classic USA tracks in the calendar again. Even if it means that they switch venues each year.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by georgeboole View Post
      They will replace it with Miami GP.
      I want Indy. On the oval.

Page 5 of 170 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast