How are MK6 Golfs holding up? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Bumped for interest because five-cylinder hatchback/wagon and maybe reliable?

Wish the (Jetta) Sportwagen didn't have such a homely rear end, though.
      As I mentioned in my OP, with the 5 speed, it drives extremely well (or did when they were new and I was selling them). I think that pairing is much better suited that the automatics and seriously would have considered getting one but ended up with the B5 instead. My buddy just sold his 08 that he put 100k miles on and all it needed was maintenance items. It was truly a perfect car for him, especially in the city.
      Last edited by Smooremin; 08-29-2020 at 06:18 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had a Mk6 Sportwagen 2.5L 5-speed for a few years. Great car, good highway cruiser. But I will say this, and it pains me...but the automatic is better.

The short ratio 02J in the Mk5 cars was better to drive than the long ratio box they installed in the Mk6 cars. They did that because the fuel economy sucked in the Mk5s. While the long ratio box solved the fuel economy problem, it made the cars suckier to drive due to the wide gear spacing. Add to that the 02J’s crappy shifter and clutch arrangement, and it was not a very satisfying manual car to drive.

If I were looking for a manual 5-cylinder to build, I’d choose a Mk5 over a Mk6 purely from a mechanical standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      I had a Mk6 Sportwagen 2.5L 5-speed for a few years. Great car, good highway cruiser. But I will say this, and it pains me...but the automatic is better.

The short ratio 02J in the Mk5 cars was better to drive than the long ratio box they installed in the Mk6 cars. They did that because the fuel economy sucked in the Mk5s. While the long ratio box solved the fuel economy problem, it made the cars suckier to drive due to the wide gear spacing. Add to that the 02J’s crappy shifter and clutch arrangement, and it was not a very satisfying manual car to drive.

If I were looking for a manual 5-cylinder to build, I’d choose a Mk5 over a Mk6 purely from a mechanical standpoint.
      Then what you want is a 2010 Golf....IIRC, the ratios were made taller for the 2011 MY.

They didn’t hold up well when they were 5 years old...
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

Mine is holding up well after 10 and 103k. And especially when compared to a lot of different cars I see coming through the shop. A lot of other cars have paint, rust and interiors falling apart. At the end of the day it comes down to how the car was treated from day one. Worked at a VW dealership and can say most VW owners really beat the piss out of their cars.
      Then many mod them making other issues. My car still runs great too. It will need some maintenance like timing chain tensioner etc, but that’s expected on most higher mileage vehicles. Bought it 8/11 and still love it. No tune or crazy mods either. Haven’t had to do much to it in general other than general maintenance.

I have my 13 TDI with 124k now. The only issues I can think of are that the vent control on the back of the center console is broken, but that may have been done by the dog. There is some surface rust starting on the front door hinge mechanism but I think some grease will stop it where it is now. Strut mounts seem tired but they aren't bad enough for me to want to replace them yet. No head liner issues or anything like that but it's been in Connecticut and now Ohio it's whole life.

I cannot speak to long term ownership, but I leased a 2010 Golf 2.5 5 speed 2 door brand new back in the day, and for the 2 years I had it I was genuinely impressed with it for all the reasons you mentioned.

It was a decent suspension and a set of tires and wheels away from a budget GTI, in fact.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post

Yeah but the DMF on the DSG are quite problematic as well as the mechatronics.

Do these have the same headliner issues the MKV has?

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Do these have the same headliner issues the MKV has?
      Yes along with the door card fabric coming undone

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I cannot speak to long term ownership, but I leased a 2010 Golf 2.5 5 speed 2 door brand new back in the day, and for the 2 years I had it I was genuinely impressed with it for all the reasons you mentioned.

It was a decent suspension and a set of tires and wheels away from a budget GTI, in fact.
      Co-signed.

one of the rare VW bulletproof combo's ...
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      Yeah but the DMF on the DSG are quite problematic as well as the mechatronics.
      I don't believe any 2.5l models came with DSG unless someone can tell me otherwise. Both my '13 Golf and '11 JSW were Tiptronic.

I can't say enough good things about my experiences with the 2.5l cars I have owned. Pretty much like a German Camry. Oil changes, brakes, tires... That's it.

Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      I found a cheap, stick 2 door Golf for sale locally and it got me thinking this could be a really nice, sorta short term, city run around/daily driver that costs me nothing, type car. Anyone have a long history with one?
      I had a 2007 and a 2012.

The 2007 had the 150hp version of the engine and short gearing. The engine had character in that it was noticeably better in the mid range than the low or high range of revolutions. By modern standards, efficiency wasn't great -- 30-ish mpg.

The 2012 had the 170hp version of the engine and taller gears, more like the five speed mated to the 1.8tsi in my 2017 Golf. The 2012 had less character, but was an objectively better car, faster, smoother and more efficient with an average of 35mpg over 93,000 miles. I did have some kind of oil contamination of the A/F sensor in the 80,000 range. There was some big plastic cover with a little rubber membrane that was hundreds of dollars to replace.

If you are over six feet, theses older Golfs are a better fit than the current one.

That car could accelerate from a stop without using the gas pedal; this made it a great car for teaching a new driver.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12