Porsche 718 GTS 4.0
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Porsche 718 GTS 4.0

SOURCE: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...man-19733.html
      The new two-seaters are powered by the same 294 kW (400 PS; 718 Boxster GTS 4.0: Fuel consumption combined 10.8 l/100 km; CO2 emissions combined 246 g/km; 718 Cayman GTS 4.0: Fuel consumption combined 10.8 l/100 km; CO2 emissions combined 246 g/km) four-litre six-cylinder boxer engine that is used in the 718 Spyder and the 718 Cayman GT4. When combined with the manual six-speed transmission and sports exhaust system, this results in exceptional power delivery and a particularly rewarding driving experience. It achieves the sprint to 100 km/h in 4.5 seconds on its way to a top speed of 293 km/h.

Thanks to standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) sports suspension, as well as a 20 millimetre lower ride height and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with mechanical limited slip rear differential, the new generation of GTS achieves a remarkable balancing act between dynamic handling and everyday comfort. The standard Sport Chrono package with upgraded Porsche Track Precision App also emphasises the athletic character of the mid-engine sports cars. Black contrasting design elements and a dark Alcantara® interior create highlights typical of GTS models.

As with the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4, the powerful four-litre engine is characterised by exceptional efficiency. Adaptive cylinder control that alternately switches off one of the two cylinder banks at low loads, direct fuel injection with piezo injectors and a variable intake system also contribute to the car’s efficiency. The GTS engine also impresses with its superior power reserves and immediate response characteristics. It effortlessly revs to 7,800 rpm and, thanks to the standard sports exhaust system with dynamic damper control, also enjoys the acoustic advantages of the rich six-cylinder boxer engine sound. The 718 GTS 4.0 models adopt the twin tailpipe sports exhaust system with integrated gasoline particulate filter from the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4. With its saddle-type design, this creates space for the contrasting black rear lower section that was specially developed for the GTS models.

With exceptionally precise handling, agile steering and responsive cornering, the chassis also promises an exciting driving experience. It combines dynamic handling with suspension comfort that is suitable for everyday use. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is part of its standard equipment. This goes hand in hand with a chassis that has been lowered by 20 millimetres in standard form. Optionally, the PASM sports suspension lowers the body by just 10 millimetres. Other standard equipment includes performance-orientated components such as Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with separately selectable PSM Sport mode, the Sport Chrono package including the upgraded Porsche Track Precision App, Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts (PADM) and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with mechanical limited slip rear differential.

The mid-engine sports cars are fitted with 20-inch light-alloy wheels in Satin-Gloss Black. High-performance tyres (235/35 ZR 20 at the front and 265/35 ZR 20 at the rear) surround the enhanced brake system, which features cross-drilled discs and red callipers. The Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) is available as an option. Dark, contrasting details reflect the particularly sporty status of the GTS cars, which applies to the spoiler lip, the all-black air intake of the Sport Design front apron, the front fog light lenses, the rear light lenses and the redesigned lower rear bumper.

In the interior, dark Alcantara® creates a sporty, elegant ambience. This is used for the centre panels of the standard Sport Seats Plus, as well as the steering wheel rim, centre console, gear lever and armrests on both doors. In the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, it also covers the A-pillars and the roof lining. The optional GTS interior package adds another colour: the choice here is between Carmine Red or Chalk. This accentuates the rev counter, seat belts, all decorative seams including the embroidered GTS emblem in the headrests and the Porsche lettering on the floor mats with black borders. The trim elements as well as the centre console trim are made of carbon.
      TL;DR - Take GT4/Spyder motor (which, if you don't know: take the 992 engine, remove turbos, bore/stroke to 4.0L), detuned (minus like 20hp, 7800rpm vs. 8000rpm), drop it in the existing GTS.
      Based on German pricing differential, roughly ~$15k less than the GT4/Spyder counterparts. (GT4 = $99k, Cayman GTS 4.0 = ~$84k)
      Gearbox unknown (probably the same from the outgoing GTS) - and all suspension / bodywork is still GTS. This is just a motor swap
      This also looks like it will have a lot more color/interior options than the current GT4/Spyder do.

For me, this is a great option if I can't get myself a GT4
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 01-15-2020 at 09:03 PM.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

TL;DR 4.0L non-turbo engine?

I'm in.
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Porsche offering a (slightly, let’s be honest) less powerful GT4 for less money and more availability? Okay, I give, what’s the catch!?

Forum Sponsor Andy@Ross-Tech.com's Avatar
      Nice! Now do this with a 911. A high revving naturally aspirated engine with back seats. Do it.

The 718 is no longer dead to me.

That signal green, though. Ufffffff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Porsche offering a (slightly, let’s be honest) less powerful GT4 for less money and more availability? Okay, I give, what’s the catch!?
      It won't have the GT suspension, prestige, and resale.

Still def the better deal in the end. As usual the GTS is where it is at.

Did not expect this one bit! Did enough Porsche owners complain?

Also, missed opportunity to name it the 718-6.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Nice! Now do this with a 911. A high revving naturally aspirated engine with back seats. Do it.
      They’re going to stuff this in a 911, don’t you worry. It’s emissions compliant for the next regs and Porsche wants every dollar out of it.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 01-15-2020 at 09:19 PM.

GT4/Spyder have the GT3 front-end, full length underbody diffuser, wing, custom rear suspension, short shifter (with longer ratios ), buckets, front-end splitter, shares brake options with GT3...
      They really do have more going for them but if you just want the engine I mean... the GTS is your car.

Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Did not expect this one bit! Did enough Porsche owners complain?
      There've been spy shots of Caymans/Boxsters minus the GT4/Spyder styling (but with the split exhaust) for awhile now. Coupled with Andreas Preuninger's admission that they will be using the engine elsewhere - it was nearly a certainty at that point.
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 01-15-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      GT4/Spyder have the GT3 front-end, full length underbody diffuser, wing, custom rear suspension, short shifter (with longer ratios ), buckets, front-end splitter, shares brake options with GT3...
      They really do have more going for them but if you just want the engine I mean... the GTS is your car.
      This has shorter gearing than the GT4? That would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      This has shorter gearing than the GT4? That would be cool.
      I'm guessing there - I don't have any facts to support it.
      Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised either way

Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      It won't have the GT suspension, prestige, and resale.

Still def the better deal in the end. As usual the GTS is where it is at.
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post

There've been spy shots of Caymans/Boxsters minus the GT4/Spyder styling (but with the split exhaust) for awhile now. Coupled with Andreas Preuninger's admission that they will be using the engine elsewhere - it was nearly a certainty at that point.
      So mostly things that an HPDE / track driver would want, but that a mostly street driver wouldn’t care as much about. It’s definitely a nice balance.

I know GT_ will always have higher resale over GTS, but given the engine distinction, I’d guess this’ll carry more of a resale premium over a 718 S than the 981 GTS does over the 981 S (10hp bump on same engine).

I know GT_ will always have higher resale over GTS, but given the engine distinction, I’d guess this’ll carry more of a resale premium over a 718 S than the 981 GTS does over the 981 S (10hp bump on same engine).
      Yea you can bet you'll see a decent drop in 981 resale values due to this announcement.

Damn

In for the discussion. Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
      The 718 is no longer dead to me.

That signal green, though. Ufffffff.
      copy pasta
      "I measure in Smiles per Gallon"---dc/dc

This is basically the best news ever.

1. A great new car option. Hopefully easier to get into than a GT_. Ideally no mark-ups and no need to buy 4 other Porsches for the allocation.
      2. Will probably depress 4 cylinder 718 models for those who aren't stuck on having an NA car.
      3. Will hopefully bring some sanity to the rest of the used Porsche line-up.

I think the drive for people to spend $80k for a 991 or even $40-50k on a well sorted 997/981 with 50k miles will probably drop if you can get an N/A flat 6 in a brand new car. There's been so much clamor over the "last of an era," and Porsche just neatly tapped into that market.

Eg: There's a Cayman R (I know... a reasonably special edition) at my local Porsche dealer. They've been asking $70k. A new Cayman with an arguably better engine out of a GT car for not much more makes that seem silly.
      Last edited by XiaoNio; 01-15-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      I'm firmly in the "I dont like the turbo 4" camp, so this is great news to me.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
      For me, this is a great option if I can't get myself a GT4
      If you can't get a GT4 sure, but please don't be tempted to trade an allocation just to get a car sooner or something like that. I mean, think about the difference between how a 997.2 GTS has aged vs a 997.2 GT3. Not that there's anything wrong with the GTS, but that GT3 is practically a deity now. I can't promise it will be that great a difference, but you have our help to persevere the GT car wait!

I'm guessing the catch will be...not that much less money, and not that much more available. I noticed they updated pricing on the Base and S and my car with the same options would be ~$1k more today. I understand the German pricing would suggest $84k but from the hours I've wasted on their configurations I'd be surprised if it didn't start with a 9. And regarding availability; my understanding is that the motor comes off the same line as the 911. So even though they're not limiting it artificially, I'll guess it depends on how many 911s sell, as those should be more profitable and thus have easier allocations.

Anyway, it's cool and about time, but as above I think the GT4 is the winner if you're going to get that far into Cayman land. Maybe the biggest winner here is the Boxster...if someone wanted a Flat 6 and an automatic top they've got it now.

They'll make an RS package with no radio and charge more. Then they'll add a touring package, which includes that radio, and sell it for even more.

Awesome! I wonder if this motor will make it in the next Carrera T?

Interesting and welcomed development.

I cannot wait to see this 4.0-litre motor in the 911. What trim will it be? T? GTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Interesting and welcomed development.

I cannot wait to see this 4.0-litre motor in the 911. What trim will it be? T? GTS?
      To me (if I were running the show) I think T is the natural fit. It might actually be slower off the line than a 992 Carrera even with the extra 15-20hp, but it would suit the character of the T line.

GTS has always come above S in power, so I’d keep that as it has been. Wouldn’t make sense to throw a high-revving NA motor in there.

For 911, I’d kind of think of it as two streams:
      Carrera-> T-> GT3-> GT3 RS
      &
      Carrera S-> GTS-> Turbo-> Turbo S-> GT2 RS
      I mean, not exactly because base Carrera would still be a fire-breathing 380hp twin turbo with 4s 0-60, but it’s how I think of the model divergence in my head.

God. I was already thinking a Spyder might have to be my dumbest automotive decision ever (tbh; they finally did it 'right', and as a 6cyl+6speed it might actually hold its value long long term)... but this... even a BETTER financial decision!
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

To me (if I were running the show) I think T is the natural fit. It might actually be slower off the line than a 992 Carrera even with the extra 15-20hp, but it would suit the character of the T line.

GTS has always come above S in power, so I’d keep that as it has been. Wouldn’t make sense to throw a high-revving NA motor in there.

For 911, I’d kind of think of it as two streams:
      Carrera-> T-> GT3-> GT3 RS
      &
      Carrera S-> GTS-> Turbo-> Turbo S-> GT2 RS
      I mean, not exactly because base Carrera would still be a fire-breathing 380hp twin turbo with 4s 0-60, but it’s how I think of the model divergence in my head.
      Sounds logical. The 911 with the 4.0-liter isn't quick enough for the GTS badge, if history is to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      If you can't get a GT4 sure, but please don't be tempted to trade an allocation just to get a car sooner or something like that. I mean, think about the difference between how a 997.2 GTS has aged vs a 997.2 GT3. Not that there's anything wrong with the GTS, but that GT3 is practically a deity now. I can't promise it will be that great a difference, but you have our help to persevere the GT car wait!

Anyway, it's cool and about time, but as above I think the GT4 is the winner if you're going to get that far into Cayman land. Maybe the biggest winner here is the Boxster...if someone wanted a Flat 6 and an automatic top they've got it now.
      My goal is still the GT4 - but as it stands I'm lower on the list at a not-so-high-volume dealer (so I don't even have any allocation yet), and my lease is up in November this year.
      This is #2 on my "want" list (also closely followed by a 992).

I'm hoping a number of people jump ship to the GTS 4.0 so I can get my allocation soon
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 01-16-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast