Porsche 718 GTS 4.0 - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 320
    1. #26
      Member HBird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2013
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,321
      Wow this is a pretty nice surprise. If I was in the market I'd still be torn between this and a 991.2 T. I love this because of the lower entry price N/A engine, but the T has immense tuning potential because of the turbos...

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #27
      This is fantastic news. Good job Porsche!!!
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

    4. #28
      Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Munich, GER
      Posts
      31,814
      Nice. Just sucks for the 4-cyl. GTS owners, their investments just lost a lot of value.

      Also, the 718 moniker doesn't make sense here. They introduced it when the Cayman/Boxster dropped two cylinders. There was that 718 race car back in the '60s which was also a 4-cylinder, so the 718 model name was given to the Boxster/Cayman to say "hey look, we've had racecars that were 4-cyl. boxers". But now some 718's are 6-cylinders.

    5. #29
      Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,849
      Now if Porsche really wants to be cool, they de-bore/de-stroke this thing and pop it in the 718-T models.

      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Nice. Just sucks for the 4-cyl. GTS owners, their investments just lost a lot of value.

      Also, the 718 moniker doesn't make sense here. They introduced it when the Cayman/Boxster dropped two cylinders. There was that 718 race car back in the '60s which was also a 4-cylinder, so the 718 model name was given to the Boxster/Cayman to say "hey look, we've had racecars that were 4-cyl. boxers". But now some 718's are 6-cylinders.
      I'm telling ya man, 718-6 and 718 GT4.

    6. #30
      Member masa8888's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2003
      Location
      Reston VA
      Posts
      8,504
      Saw this on my FB feed last night, and it's basically the best news since the start of the new year.

    7. #31
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2006
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,449
      Wow, awesome news. Apparently I haven't been paying attention, but I did not see this coming. Can't wait to buy one used someday


      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      I'm telling ya man, 718-6 .
      Yeah, this naming scheme would have been cool.

    8. #32
      Member rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      10,243
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Nice! Now do this with a 911. A high revving naturally aspirated engine with back seats. Do it.
      What the Carrera T should be...

    9. #33
      Member GLI Dan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2006
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      5,768
      This may do well to help place me into a used 718 in a years time...4 banger turbo be damned, I just want nimble, nice, put together and less than an arm and a leg.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

    10. #34
      Porsche knows the Subaru engine ruined the 718. They've admitted as much. This 4.0 is their apology for the former 718 GTS.

    11. #35
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2008
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,562
      I never had issue with the 4-cyl GTS on the track, but the 4.0 will sound ever better, so that works.
      Then again I have/had 4-cyl flat engines so I don't mine the soundtrack of the flat turbo 4.

      Plus ecconomies of scale work for maximizing the return on the new 4.0....everyone wins
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

    12. #36
      Member zerind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      11,354
      I'm enjoying every minute behind the wheel of my ruined 718.

      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Porsche knows the Subaru engine ruined the 718. They've admitted as much. This 4.0 is their apology for the former 718 GTS.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      twitter - @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      IG: zerintx
      2018 Carrara White Porsche Cayman
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

    13. #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Porsche
      The 718 GTS 4.0 models adopt the twin tailpipe sports exhaust system with integrated gasoline particulate filter from the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4.
      been hearing we would start seeing GPF's on direct injection gasoline cars for a while now. is this one of the first models are there more currently on the market?

      it doesn't appear these require an active regen cycle like a diesel particulate filter, but interesting nonetheless.
      welcome to the layer cake

    14. #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Porsche knows the Subaru engine ruined the 718. They've admitted as much. This 4.0 is their apology for the former 718 GTS.
      Hyperbole much?

      I'm obviously biased as an owner of a 718, but the turbo 4 absolutely didnt' "ruin" the car. The only thing that isn't better about the 718 over the flat 6 981 is the engine sound. Every model of the 718 is faster, and has better/bigger brakes than the predecessor model. For a turbo car the power delivery is even fairly novel; you're not getting that 1800rpm torque plateau you get in a GTI or any other 2.0L turbo 4. These motors pull to 7500 rpm (well, at least the base car and the GTS do...the S does fall off at bit up top).

      I also strongly doubt that resale on the turbo 4 cars will be impacted much by the addition of the GTS 4.0. We're talking about totally different buyers and price ranges. a 2017 base 718 is at best a mid-$50K car, whereas a mildly optioned GTS 4.0 will likely be around $80K. They're not even in the same ballpark and I don't foresee a bunch of cross shopping between the two. (It also isn't as if 2016 Cayman/Boxsters sell for a premium over 2017s.) Maybe someone trying to dump a used 2019 GTS after the GTS 4.0 rolls out is going to feel some pain, but otherwise I see this being like any other new model/trim rollout.

      That said, I definitely want a GTS 4.0

    15. #39
      Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,849
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      been hearing we would start seeing GPF's on direct injection gasoline cars for a while now. is this one of the first models are there more currently on the market?

      it doesn't appear these require an active regen cycle like a diesel particulate filter, but interesting nonetheless.
      The 991 Speedster has the GPF, that was Porsche's first. Not sure of the first car industry-wide to feature it.

    16. #40
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      What the Carrera T should be...
      Fingers crossed . . .

    17. #41
      Quote Originally Posted by zerind View Post
      I'm enjoying every minute behind the wheel of my ruined 718.
      Great addition to the JL. As always, your automobile selection is on point.

    18. #42
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2015
      Location
      Cleveland, OH
      Posts
      1,264
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      been hearing we would start seeing GPF's on direct injection gasoline cars for a while now. is this one of the first models are there more currently on the market?

      it doesn't appear these require an active regen cycle like a diesel particulate filter, but interesting nonetheless.
      991 Speedster, and all 992/GT4/Spyders have them in Europe.
      I believe(?) they have an inert replacement for cars in the US that doesn't actually change emissions, but simulates backpressure.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

      2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

    19. #43
      Member zerind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      11,354
      Thanks, Rob! I found this one for a steal last month. Couldn't pass it up.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Great addition to the JL. As always, your automobile selection is on point.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      twitter - @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      IG: zerintx
      2018 Carrara White Porsche Cayman
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

    20. #44
      Wow.

      911 who?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

    21. #45
      Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Yes please. I'll take one of these in 3 years used.

    22. #46
      Quote Originally Posted by zerind View Post
      I'm enjoying every minute behind the wheel of my ruined 718.

    23. #47
      Quote Originally Posted by jmlmr2 View Post
      I also strongly doubt that resale on the turbo 4 cars will be impacted much by the addition of the GTS 4.0.


      It's going to DESTROY the resale of the current turbo 4 GTS.

    24. #48
      This car really makes me wish I didn't have 2 beautiful kids and a beautiful house.

      My priorities are totally out of whack. I need to cash in my entire TFSA account (Canadian thing) and get this car.

    25. #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      This car really makes me wish I didn't have 2 beautiful kids and a beautiful house.

      My priorities are totally out of whack. I need to cash in my entire TFSA account (Canadian thing) and get this car.
      Don't you mean roofless garage with some bedrooms attached to it?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

    26. #50
      With any luck, it will be the kick in the pants for last model yr 718-6 (2016.5?) owners to sell for the new one!

      And those of us looking for the crappy “old” one will have more offerings.
      Dat 4 banger..... no.

    Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast