Porsche 718 GTS 4.0 - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Look at the oldest car in my sig and you'll see I don't value optimal power curves and mathematical perfection in my choice of fun car.
      I fall into this camp as well. It’s not even that I dislike the four cylinder in the 718, but Porsche’s flat six is one of my all-time favorites for both sound and feel at any price. Given an option I’ll take the slightly slower car that feels more special to me.

YMMV.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      This, I did the Porsche driving experience in LA in a Cayman S with the 4 and it was plenty fast and 2 second into it I didnt care what engine was behind me. Sure on paper and sound the 6 is going to be better, especially for the purists, but the 4 did not change the fun factor or driving experience 1 bit.
      This. It doesn't bother me and never has, and everybody that owns one says the same. Of course, that's naturally going to be a group of people not bothered by it, or we wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

Anyway, I totally get that some people just don't want to spend that much on a 4-cyl if only because it's a 4-cyl, and adding a 4.0 6 is a great option to have for people that want the car to be 6-cyl or to be N/A. The 4.0 will absolutely sound better and have better throttle response to boot. But talk of the 718 being terrible because it has 2/3rds of the motor from a 911 Turbo is farcical, and I'm guessing this new GTS will be slower than the old one in a few metrics, especially against cars with PDK.

Incidentally, I had a lot of heart burn about going with PDK, but now I'm gla as this car being 6MT only should hopefully save at least a little of the value that would otherwise be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by zerind View Post
      Even if the power curve is more usable in more driving conditions vs the previous flat-six? For me, that was the deciding factor. Outside the sound, every bit of it was a better drive in the 718 vs the 981.
      I guess it depends where/how you drive it and whether or not its your only car. I know it's not fair to compare new to used so I won't. The price gap between a used 981.1 and .2 is enough to pay for the 4.62 final drive the .1 needs to be perfect.

What mods are available for the 4 banger now? I wonder what you can do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      What mods are available for the 4 banger now? I wonder what you can do with them.
      They respond pretty well to tuning. APR tune (no hardware changes) on the 2.5 is good for ~70hp and 100ft/lbs. Hardware upgrades seem a bit more limited that I would have expected though, likely because the ECU appears to be relatively difficult to custom tune. Once the software has more time to develop for hardware upgrades, I can see some pretty beastly examples being built.

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      APR makes tunes for them.

Gains are as follows on 93

2.0T 718: +63HP +36 FT-LBS

2.5T 718 S: +77HP +101 FT-LBS

2.5T 718 GTS: +65HP +64FT-LBS

That's just stage 1, cost is $1,199.99.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      Yea you can bet you'll see a decent drop in 981 resale values due to this announcement.
      You had my interest, now you have my attention. I plan to replace my NC Miata with a 981 as soon as it is financially possible.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      APR makes tunes for them.

Gains are as follows on 93

2.0T 718: +63HP +36 FT-LBS

2.5T 718 S: +77HP +101 FT-LBS

2.5T 718 GTS: +65HP +64FT-LBS

That's just stage 1, cost is $1,199.99.
      Although my opinion will always favor the N/A flat 6 option, the prospect of having a 718 S Cayman with a $1200 tune and making 427hp and 410 lbs ft is interesting.

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Although my opinion will always favor the N/A flat 6 option, the prospect of having a 718 S Cayman with a $1200 tune and making 427hp and 410 lbs ft is interesting.
      There’s no doubt the four pots make great power, but there’s certainly more to it than that.
      Instagram - efrie004

You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Is this offered with PDK?

My next one was going to be a used 911 cab (991.1) with PDK but I like the size of the boxster better.

Blog Entries
      Huh, I'm really liking the sound of this. Looking fwd to more details.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Huh, I'm really liking the sound of this. Looking fwd to more details.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      DONT JINX IT.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      DONT JINX IT.
      Supposedly the next gen is electric so enjoy the sound now while it's still here!

Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Is it though?

Maybe they need to equip the EJ20/EJ25 equipped 718s with choose your adventure Soundaktors. "Mmmm I think I'll do the Carrera GT sound today"

Quote Originally Posted by jmlmr2 View Post
      I have a suspicion that many folks with strong negative opinions on the turbo 4 haven't actually driven one. Though it will certainly end up sounding better, but I'm not sure the GTS 4.0 will end up being meaningfully (or any) faster than the 2.5T GTS.
      The sales figures are the sales figures. And the sales figures are down considerably on 718 vs 981 and that doesn't even include all the 718s that were "sold" and are now sitting on lots as used cars. The fact that objectively the 4 cyl 718 cars are better than the 6 cyl 981 cars appears to be moot for many buyers. It's also possible that there has been a shift in demand for this type of car at this price point that coincided with the transition from 981 to 718 or that there is something else about the 718 prospective buyers don't like. It appears that Porsche is going to try and find out with the GTS 4.0.

As a former owner of a 981 GT4 I like the GTS 4.0 concept a lot and was thinking I might put an order in, but I'm a sucker for 911. Should have ordered a 991.2 T when I had the chance :-(
      Gone but not forgotten: 85 BMW M535, 04 VW R32, 04 Audi S4, 03 Porsche 911 C4s, 06 Corvette Z51, 08 BMW M3, 99 Ferrari 360, 13 Subaru WRX, 13 Nissan GT-R, 04 Challenge Stradale, 01 911 Turbo, 16 GT4

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      I’ve already alerted my kids that if I didn’t have them I could have one of these, and I’m not entirely thrilled with my decision.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

bitter dad , best dad

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I’ve already alerted my kids that if I didn’t have them I could have one of these, and I’m not entirely thrilled with my decision.
      The old crotch fruit vs cars debate is a tough one.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
      Is this offered with PDK?

My next one was going to be a used 911 cab (991.1) with PDK but I like the size of the boxster better.
      I seem to remember reading manuel only.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      The old crotch fruit vs cars debate is a tough one.
      I’ve never heard someone in a sweet car say “I’d trade it all for my kid” but I have watched dudes with kids glance at kid, then at Porsche, then back at kid, then weep a little...
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

My plan was to do M5 and 991.2 GTS (and 69 Camaro) as my garage over the next 2 years. Maybe M5 and the 718-6 compliment each other better? It'll be like my father in laws 986S with my Camaro 396s power. Then add headers and a great titanium exhaust and bring tissues.
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      12 MB E350 4Matic 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: WK2 Hemi, 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Off Pump View Post
      My plan was to do M5 and 991.2 GTS (and 69 Camaro) as my garage over the next 2 years. Maybe M5 and the 718-6 compliment each other better? It'll be like my father in laws 986S with my Camaro 396s power. Then add headers and a great titanium exhaust and bring tissues.
      Yes
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Off Pump View Post
      I could see that being a thing. I wasn't smitten with the F90 enough to want one, but an F90 along with a fun weekend car would be a good combo.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I’ve never heard someone in a sweet car say “I’d trade it all for my kid” but I have watched dudes with kids glance at kid, then at Porsche, then back at kid, then weep a little...
      children >>> any 718 variant

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast