Nikola Latest to Announce EV Pick-Up Truck - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Reisner View Post
      Why not? It's not your money at this point. I say if investors want to put their money into this project, who are we to say otherwise? So long as there isn't fraud, let the market decide whether or not this endeavor is viable.
      Because "investors" means "governments". Government funded research is a huge part (likely the biggest part) of the funding for this, because politics.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Because "investors" means "governments". Government funded research is a huge part (likely the biggest part) of the funding for this, because politics.
      It's also a contributor to why they are getting what private investment they are.

Plus, any time something like this fails after a huge amount of hype for the tech, it press a fist right in the eye of similar techs that may have been more viable.

Advertising and perception affect a lot more people than just the ones handing over the dollars, especially when the amount of money flowing is so large and so based on publicity.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

DOJ has now joined the investigative party on Nikola.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice...d=hp_lead_pos1

Time to bring out the jam, because I think these guys are toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      DOJ has now joined the investigative party on Nikola.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice...d=hp_lead_pos1

Time to bring out the jam, because I think these guys are toast.

Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      Right, so that’s kinda the key question here.

Did GM really need to attach themselves (and their money, their shareholder’s money, and their reputation) to a company that kinda... doesn’t seem to have... anything?

It’s one thing to get duped when someone promises you access to something you don’t have and couldn’t possibly create yourself. It’s another thing entirely when you yourself have actually developed the same tech (really, the only tech in this case) in your own house!
      I am guessing that Nikola may have presented GM a way to get a BEV division w/o creating one and spinning off it's BEV bits as many people are demanding. Ford with Rivian, GM with Nikola while both companies (Ford and GM) continue to develop their own BEV products.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      I am guessing that Nikola may have presented GM a way to get a BEV division w/o creating one and spinning off it's BEV bits as many people are demanding. Ford with Rivian, GM with Nikola while both companies (Ford and GM) continue to develop their own BEV products.
      someone said it best:

From GMs point of view, they got one the best freebies ever. Nikola assumed that by giving up so much in partnership with GM, they would bank and make more money on the press. I mean look at what GM is getting:

$700M in cash to build a production line that GM retains full ownership of.
      $2B to design a vehicle platform that GM retains full ownership of.
      Profit on the front end, as an exclusive major drivetrain component supplier
      Profit on the back end, thanks to a cost-plus nature of the contract
      Profit off all of Nikola's alleged other products (Class 7/8) trucks, as exclusive drive train supplier
      Most of Nikola's ZEV credits

Its like the group project where someone offers to do all the work, just to brag that they hang out with the cool kids.

https://www.reddit.com/r/finance/com...fraud/g5bo2cf/

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      someone said it best:

From GMs point of view, they got one the best freebies ever. Nikola assumed that by giving up so much in partnership with GM, they would bank and make more money on the press. I mean look at what GM is getting:

$700M in cash to build a production line that GM retains full ownership of.
      $2B to design a vehicle platform that GM retains full ownership of.
      Profit on the front end, as an exclusive major drivetrain component supplier
      Profit on the back end, thanks to a cost-plus nature of the contract
      Profit off all of Nikola's alleged other products (Class 7/8) trucks, as exclusive drive train supplier
      Most of Nikola's ZEV credits

Its like the group project where someone offers to do all the work, just to brag that they hang out with the cool kids.

https://www.reddit.com/r/finance/com...fraud/g5bo2cf/
      Or it could be construed as bribing a blue chip company to add an air of legitimacy to your fraud.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Or it could be construed as bribing a blue chip company to add an air of legitimacy to your fraud.
      I'm voting for this as the most likely scenario.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123