I get to have some seat time in a newer Jag F-type. Let me show you.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I get to have some seat time in a newer Jag F-type. Let me show you.

Because of my knowledge of imports and our dealership's desire to keep this car in a garage overnight, they've let me buzz around in it for a week or two. Also, since I sold more cars in February than all of my coworkers combined, they are kind of rewarding me with getting to use this as a temporary demo.

It's a base model with a 4 cylinder turbo.

Despite 11 years separating them, it reminds me of a sharper edged, more modern version of my old DB9. At least when you're just sitting there looking at it.

Driving it is a different story. Make no mistake, this little 4 cylinder is not a refined engine. At cold idle, it vibrates the car hard when you put it in gear and are sitting stopped. It's not quiet and it isn't smooth. However, it's a very willing dance partner. It growls when you dig into it, and the transmission always makes sure you're in the right gear, even if its at the expense of jostling you and your passenger.

The car feels very light, tight and quick. It makes great power and doesn't lag at all. At times it even feels torquey. The handling is a bit harsh on our crappy roads, but it never feels overly brittle or like its too much.

The controls are another story. You really have to dig into menus to get to playing Bluetooth music from your phone, and you need a propietary app that won't play from Pandora or Spotify. Come on Jaguar. That's just ridiculous. The volume knob is to the right of the shifter, nowhere near the actual infotainment unit.

The seats....they're okay, I guess. They do hold you in place, but they're just not that comfortable. I am at the height and weight limit for this car at 6'4", 250 lbs, but it doable. I don't know that I'd want to road trip this car, but the hatch does have adequate space.

Overall, I find this to be a true sports car, with few compromises toward grand touring. It sparks confidence with its handling and the engine and transmission work well together to make this a competent second car that runs as good as it looks.

Also, it looks nice in my garage.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Putting a 4 cylinder in that is so stupid.

I drove an F Type R AWD couple years back and liked it a lot. Although I would prefer the one year RWD angry version of that car.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      I had no idea that they came in a four banger. Color me surprised.

Thanks for the review. I always thought that was a stunning looking car but I’ve never spent any time around them.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

how much empty space is underneath that hood if its only holding a 4 banger in there

Do you still have the DB9?

As for the 4 cylinder F-Type, if it helps them sell more, great. I just want to see Jag survive and sell cool stuff like the Project-x cars.

Song title is odly prophetic.

Bumper crash foam visible through grill is disappointingly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Do you still have the DB9?

As for the 4 cylinder F-Type, if it helps them sell more, great. I just want to see Jag survive and sell cool stuff like the Project-x cars.
      I don't. It was kind of fun, but the transmission made me not love it. If it had the transmission from the F-type it would have been a ton more fun.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

My weekend car is a F-Type AWD R. Love the car to bits with the 550 horsepower and XF-8 speed is lightning quick. Same tranny as the Alfa Guilia Quadrofolio .

However, I dont know about the 4 banger f-type. Even 6 banger. When I went shopping, I drove a XF 3.5 which was surprisingly quick and cheap for a 2-3 year old car. So in my mind, I couldn't fathom an F-Type that can barely keep up with a 4 door XF sedan. There had to be a league of difference for me. Hence, 5.0 V8.

The 4 cylinder is the only one that is remotely interesting to me, much lighter and much cheaper and still more than fast enough to go to jail. Still sucks that there's no manual though.

Is it just me, or is that interior very underwhelming. Maybe it's just because it's a base model, but I expected more. Also, if you buy the 4 Cylinder version of this car, you're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      The 4 cylinder is the only one that is remotely interesting to me, much lighter and much cheaper and still more than fast enough to go to jail. Still sucks that there's no manual though.
      You can get a used supercharged 6 cylinder with a manual. Much better package than that awful 4.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Song title is odly prophetic.

Bumper crash foam visible through grill is disappointingly cheap.
      Matte black foam = very upscale.
      this signature kills fascists.

MUST NOT SLEEP, MUST WARN OTHERS.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Crazy Jaguar made a clean sheet I4 engine with NVH issues stuck in another decade. I've seen the same complaint in every vehicle its been installed in. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by amusante1002 View Post
      Is it just me, or is that interior very underwhelming. Maybe it's just because it's a base model, but I expected more. Also, if you buy the 4 Cylinder version of this car, you're an idiot.
      It's always been underwhelming no matter the trim. Outside of the XJ, that's how I feel about every Jaguar though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      how much empty space is underneath that hood if its only holding a 4 banger in there
      Enough to fit the other 4 cylinders too
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

Not like I stalked your store or anything but the '03 Sentra SE-R seems more interesting than this =P

I want to know what milestone of success netted you the real reward - time with a K car.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post

Overall, I find this to be a true sports car, with few compromises toward grand touring.
      Unfortunately, how ever much of a "true sports car" the E-Type is, it costs as much as a Porsche Cayman which is superior in about any metric you care to choose. Hell, the Cayman is even a better grand tourer because it has substantially more storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
      Unfortunately, how ever much of a "true sports car" the E-Type is, it costs as much as a Porsche Cayman which is superior in about any metric you care to choose. Hell, the Cayman is even a better grand tourer because it has substantially more storage space.
      Yea, I just looked it up and this thing is like $60K - not a chance I'm throwing that coin down based on the interior alone.

That is indeed where the whole thing falls apart. I'd consider a 4 cylinder RWD F-type at about $40k, the same price that the 4 cylinder Supra should be. $60k? Uh, no thanks. I'm going M2 or Cayman or C8.

1. Brooks & Dunn. That Reboot version with Jon Pardi is greatness.

2. Turbo 4s be like that. They put out good numbers, but lots of them still have some serious tradeoffs. Not super noticeable in something like a GTI, but very noticeable in a FR sports car with an autotragic. Even the super-modern new Subaru 2.4DIT feels slower than the NA 2.5 from like 0-25 then suddenly feels as fast a WRX. Jaguar definitely has no business drawing one up blank slate if it can't get the NVH stuff right.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      That is indeed where the whole thing falls apart. I'd consider a 4 cylinder RWD F-type at about $40k, the same price that the 4 cylinder Supra should be. $60k? Uh, no thanks. I'm going M2 or Cayman or C8.
      That is why you buy used. Let the other guy take the depreciation. A 16-17 F-Type R can be had for $60k. Retail is $110k with options 120k.
      You can get low mileage examples with 8-10k on the clock. You get 550 horsepower. Depending on what magazine you read, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in the high 10s.

And nothing, I repeat, nothing beats the growly exhaust of the 5.0 liter v-8 engine. It is one of the loudest, obnoxious production car exhaust under $200k. It basically has supercar specs. Fast launches with AWD.

Thats what I did. I got a nice CPO. And did I mention the growly exhaust.

And my god will you know when it’s using the power because the thing is just earth shattering to listen to. Every word on the lips of anyone who talks about the F-Type, every word ever written about it will mention the sound, and the simple reason for that is because you simply cannot ignore it.

Any competitive 911 or Corvette is loud, but not this type of purposely loud. Those beautiful bastards at Jaguar created what they call a “controlled misfire.” And the most beautiful bastard there, Andrew Lowis, the Gasoline Calibration Manager for the car, explained: “Usually you’d cut the fuel to the cylinders, when the driver lifts off the accelerator. We are delaying the point when we do that and igniting later than we might in normal circumstances. It produces a controlled misfire.”
      From Jalopnik,
      https://jalopnik.com/the-jaguar-f-ty...e-b-1783677469

It is so loud, they had to turn it down for 2021.
      Last edited by mrspeedmaster; 03-04-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ENV² View Post
      Putting a 4 cylinder in that is so stupid.
      Quote of the day.

It remembers me the insanity of Mustang MkII circa 1973 or so, that had a 4-cyl. Pinto engine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      It is so loud, they had to turn it down for 2021.
      Pretty much all of the sports car manufacturers did. F U EU noise regulations.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Other than looks & sound, yeah.
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      Other than looks & sound, yeah.
      It can take on some of the best of them - Huracans, C7s, GT3s. The only car that consistently beats it is the GTR. And this is not even the SVRs. The SVRs are beasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast