I get to have some seat time in a newer Jag F-type. Let me show you. - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      I really like these cars and think they offer a huge bang for the buck on the used market although given the age/spec/miles of this particular car, I wouldn't pay a dime over $38,556.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

4 cylinder turbo? no **** you learn something new today

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      Other than looks & sound, yeah.
      Looks are subjective, obviously (I much prefer the mid-engine proportions of the Cayman).

But I don't see how you can take a 4-cylinder F-Type over a 4-cylinder Cayman on sound. They both sound like garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      That is why you buy used. Let the other guy take the depreciation. A 16-17 F-Type R can be had for $60k. Retail is $110k with options 120k.
      You can get low mileage examples with 8-10k on the clock. You get 550 horsepower. Depending on what magazine you read, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in the high 10s.

And nothing, I repeat, nothing beats the growly exhaust of the 5.0 liter v-8 engine. It is one of the loudest, obnoxious production car exhaust under $200k. It basically has supercar specs. Fast launches with AWD.

Thats what I did. I got a nice CPO. And did I mention the growly exhaust.

From Jalopnik,
      https://jalopnik.com/the-jaguar-f-ty...e-b-1783677469

It is so loud, they had to turn it down for 2021.
      Different strokes. I've no interest in a 550 hp loud version of anything. I don't live on a racetrack, sadly. My RX8 was great, my MR2 was great, my 86 is great, and my Z06 was stupid.

I'm hoping to get into a base (probably non-turbo) Cayman eventually. This F-type is in the right ballpark for a sporty car that can be used in the real world. If they end up dropping like rocks to <$30k used then maybe I'll try one.

Is it weird that I knew OP was in Kansas after looking at the first pic just from watching a few Hoovie's Garage videos?

I've always loved the F-Type coupes. Always got a soft spot for that fastback profile.

Sex appeal:
      Jaguar F-Type 1
      Any Porsche 0

I met a guy with a V6 S coupe, manual, at Road America last year. He was hustling it around pretty good. It's not just a pretty face. And the V6 sounds bonkers, too. Not quite to the level of the V8 but it bangs and crackles like the best of 'em. Pretty tiny cars on the inside, though.

They're way too heavy, which to me kills the dynamics of the car.

I've driven the V8 and V6 versions of the car- they sound awesome, look really nice. The weight is a killer- makes a 550hp car seem kind of slow (which it really is not), compared to something like a C6 Z06 or a 911.

Visibility is not so good- kind of claustrophic inside, especially with a helmet on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      I met a guy with a V6 S coupe, manual, at Road America last year. He was hustling it around pretty good. It's not just a pretty face. And the V6 sounds bonkers, too. Not quite to the level of the V8 but it bangs and crackles like the best of 'em. Pretty tiny cars on the inside, though.
      I test drove a base (non-S) v6 last week and was pleasantly surprised the volume level of the exhaust is not as loud as youtube videos suggest, my fake "43" amg was louder. I can't comment on the R. How does the volume of the S compare to the base?

Before trying it on, I read a few reviews stating anyone over 6'2" would be uncomfortable but I'm almost the same height/weight as the OP and for around town it was acceptable. For longer or spirited driving it doesn't work for me, part of the reason is the seats are heavily padded, at least in the one I drove. I've seen the newer models offered with thinner seats i.e. https://youtu.be/HH9-SzNq-JA?t=397 which may make all the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      They're way too heavy, which to me kills the dynamics of the car.
      The v8 is just over 3800, v6 tips the scale ~3450. Compared to modern "sports cars" that's not out of line but I do agree the v6 felt a bit too heavy for the numbers in puts down. As the OP noted, it falls in that odd zone where it's not a true sports car nor a GT.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      That is why you buy used. Let the other guy take the depreciation. A 16-17 F-Type R can be had for $60k. Retail is $110k with options 120k.
      You can get low mileage examples with 8-10k on the clock. You get 550 horsepower. Depending on what magazine you read, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in the high 10s.

And nothing, I repeat, nothing beats the growly exhaust of the 5.0 liter v-8 engine. It is one of the loudest, obnoxious production car exhaust under $200k. It basically has supercar specs. Fast launches with AWD.

Thats what I did. I got a nice CPO. And did I mention the growly exhaust.
      Base v6's can be purchased in the low to mid $30k's, V6-S in upper $30k's and early rwd v8's with higher miles in the mid $40k's but I have seen several 17's with 10k-15k miles, CPO ~$60k. It's a lot of car for the $, looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, and goes like stink. The base v6 I drove is underpowered for my preferences but the V6-S + a pulley and tune would probably change my mind, 440hp v6 in a 3500 pound coupe sounds like fun. Ultimately, I passed on the F-Type as there are better options within the same price point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12