Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive? - Page 21
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
      Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Those are some great shots and your buddy Naveed got a good one to take home.

It looks like a good time was had by all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Hexagones really nice 997. I was able to slink ahead of the pack and lead, and had a really good run. It was pretty warm out, and the Evora's cooling fans were screaming their guts out when we parked.
      My oil temp got to 240F probably for the first time this year. Love it.

Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive?

I went up Highway 108 into the Sierras just North of Yosemite. Just 2.5 hours away, yet lightyears difference. No sheltering, just open space, empty roads, clean rivers, good fishing, and plenty of room to roam in the Jeep.

Stanislaus Forest and the Middle Fork of the Stanislaus River from Pinecrest and Strawberry to Niagara Rim Trail, the Clark Fork River and Kennedy Meadows.

It was a good few days.

Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 06-26-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      That looks like a good time. I miss wheeling with my friends.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post

Lovely E36 slick top. Former Dinan research car, with something in the low six figures of repair orders and modifications throughout the years.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jehgGM]

Forgot how good e36s m3s look in white. Sadly their really aren't too many of them.

Sadly my car has been down and haven't really had a chance to take advantage of the empty roads. Although was nice to enjoy the freeways a bit with no traffic although traffic is starting to come back slowly.
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      You're not a real Palo Alto resident unless you have a Hybrid and a German Car in your Driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I went up Highway 108 into the Sierras just North of Yosemite. Just 2.5 hours away, yet lightyears difference. No sheltering, just open space, empty roads, clean rivers, good fishing, and plenty of room to roam in the Jeep.

Stanislaus Forest and the Middle Fork of the Stanislaus River from Pinecrest and Strawberry to Niagara Rim Trail, the Clark Fork River and Kennedy Meadows.

It was a good few days.

Heh, I did the exact same thing this weekend (with a bonus cracked windshield!)

Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
      Heh, I did the exact same thing this weekend (with a bonus cracked windshield!)
      Nicely done! That looks like the backside of Hwy 108 headed toward 395 and Mono Lake? Did you go down 395 to Mammoth Mountain by any chance? Or come back via Hwy 120 across the North side of Yosemite? That’s an amazing road as well, although covered with RVs and motorcycle riders, whereas 108 is relatively unused.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      Nicely done! That looks like the backside of Hwy 108 headed toward 395 and Mono Lake? Did you go down 395 to Mammoth Mountain by any chance? Or come back via Hwy 120 across the North side of Yosemite? That’s an amazing road as well, although covered with RVs and motorcycle riders, whereas 108 is relatively unused.
      Hauled ass through 108 to Mono Lake and then to Mammoth - there were so many points where I was just grinning while driving. Though at 10,000 feet I was definitely feeling the 997 wheezing for a bit

120 is not passable without reservations, which was a huge bummer but will definitely be trying out later this season.

Hauled ass through 108 to Mono Lake and then to Mammoth - there were so many points where I was just grinning while driving. Though at 10,000 feet I was definitely feeling the 997 wheezing for a bit

120 is not passable without reservations, which was a huge bummer but will definitely be trying out later this season.
      There are a few other great roads that run West-East across the Sierras, and are much less used than 120. Hwy 88 past Kirkwood to Markleeville and then back via Hwy 4 through Bear Valley, Arnold, and Calaveras Big Trees State Park is a blast. Those are both parallel to 108, just a tad north. It’s about 3-4 hours out and 3-4 hours back. Dinner in Murphys is a nice add on. A couple good brew pubs along the way.

You’re really doing this “new to NotCal in a 911” thing right! But you’ll also come to find that you will need 40 years to hit all the good roads. Let’s do a Berkeley drive after July 7!

If you head down to Visalia, 245 and 198 are a must. Amazing how you can just look at google maps for squiggly roads. The ones that terminate and don't go through are the best usually.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Drove the X5 down 101 to San Diego to my parents' house! Every time I get in the car and go get groceries, or whatever, this past few months, I find myself thinking.. ROADTRIP!

I know, not quite the "drive" you were thinking, but I've been itching to see my folks since I started working from home. I usually come and work/vacation here maybe 2-3x a year. I planned the trip both in a Covid 'lull' but also thinking "this isn't gonna be truly 'over' for some time to come." So, I wasn't gonna completely wait it out. Been almost entirely isolating at home other than bike rides and runs and grocery trips.

Got my Covid test a couple days before leaving for extra peace of mind, and hit the road. X5d made it here in one go, with 80 miles to spare, pushing 600mi range out of 22.x gallons of diesel. 2 bikes on the car for road and mountain fun. Mostly just hanging out at home with the folks, though. And some beer delivery

I'm glad they've been taking this seriously, unlike a lot of folks of their generation. They're both healthy and active, but dad's in his 80s, mom mid-70s, so they're far from low risk. Nice to be able to enjoy some family time.
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

Glad you got to see your folks. I saw my Dad on Fathers Day and it was great. Don't really how much you need to do certain things until you do them.

Look at that!

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021