Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Nothing beats cabin fever like playing video games.
      You're probably being sarcastic but you're completely correct.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      You're probably being sarcastic
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

"Sir, I'm just heading to the pharmacy... in Truckee"
      Truckee is probably one of the LAST place I'd want to be right now God, I was on another forum, a guy from Reno was just going OFF about how everyone's falling for the biggest psyops campaign in history, and the usual ranting Internet Tough Guy threats about what will happen to anyone who tells him he has to shelter in place and blah blah blah blah big words.

Basically: Avoid places where people insist on buying their heads in the sand, and that draw people from *other* places that also share that mentality. I'd rather be somewhere folks are taking it seriously.

Unfortunately the report yesterday was it was in 19 nursing homes in Florida It's not necessarily the spring breakers' fault, but, again, folks who take it seriously vs don't.... they're closing down Clearwater beach... but not till Monday, once they've extracted them tourist dollars.
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Truckee is probably one of the LAST place I'd want to be right now
      Oh I didn't say anyone wanted to be in Truckee.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      I have a solution for you...

I was going to build a VR rig to play that and iRacing. Glad I didn’t, and sad I didn’t. Glad because I still have the money, sad because I have all of this free time.

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Or get into an accident and need to be rushed to the ER, etc. There are so many scenarios, and sure, we can hurt ourselves accidentally at home and need to be rushed to the ER, but I think the point you're making is to do the best we can to mitigate the risk of spreading the virus, or in an indirect or direct way impact the capacity of health care workers to assist those who need help the most.

to you for thinking logically.
      For sure. I’ve never stacked a car, but it’s a possibility. I’d hate to tie up a hospital bed during this time, and then get the virus because I’m at a hospital. No thank you. I’d rather drink a few IPA’s, sit in Moms basement and catch up on Letterkenny.
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 03-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      That's the tough part for me. I know I'm going to go stir crazy. I'm on day 1.5 and I know I'll lose my mind and need to leave the house at some point. Nobody on the walking path behind my condo is walking 6' apart from strangers, so I feel like if they're not taking this seriously do I have to? I mean work from home was an extended weekend to most people and restaurants and bars were full recently.

Buuuut, this thing is serious. I feel like I can easily tell a LEO to pound sand if I get stopped while going for a run, but I also feel like I just could easily get a flat, meet someone who has it, spread it to someone if I have it and don't know, etc.

It's just not worth it. I'll do my part and keep contained. I have the rest of my life to pound the mountains.
      Exactly how I feel especially the last part. In the grand scheme of things this is a short term inconvenience. Yes it would be cool to take advantage of the back roads w/o traffic but you can also just do that on any regular Saturday/Sunday morning not counting cyclists who are still out btw. Speaking of cyclists, since Saturday is supposed to be nice and there are no cars on the road, I think it'll be a perfect time for a good bike ride out in the sun...maybe try the Bay Trail or something.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

If you ride the bay trail up through Foster City, wave as you ride by. I’ve set up camp on my back patio.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Fun fact: my buddy and I got stuck in Truckee on the way back from Northstar due road closures from snow. The only open restaurant was a place called Soul Sushi, that had BBQ and Sushi, which made from a pretty interesting combination.

Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      I have a solution for you...

This is incredible. All the landmarks are near perfect! How the hell do I get this game?
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This is incredible. All the landmarks are near perfect! How the hell do I get this game?
      https://www.racedepartment.com/downl...canyons.15067/

Fun fact: my buddy and I got stuck in Truckee on the way back from Northstar due road closures from snow. The only open restaurant was a place called Soul Sushi, that had BBQ and Sushi, which made from a pretty interesting combination.
      If you're into excellent sushi + ______ combinations, you're going to need to come out to the SFV and try King's Burger/Got Sushi? once this is all over. I've been eating there for 20 years. The sushi component was added maybe 10 years ago when the owner's son quit a bunch of high-end sushi places and opened up his own place in his dad's restaurant:

Quote Originally Posted by LA Times
      Truffles shaved onto wild-caught yellowtail sashimi or kanpachi nigiri splashed with black caviar might begin your omakase at Got Sushi? Or the chef might enrobe supple ribbons of pristine snapper in creamy cured uni brightened with the sharp citrus snap of yuzu and house-made soy sauce. Close your eyes and for a moment it’s easy to forget that this tiny sushi bar is squeezed into a corner of King’s Burgers, a fully operational burger joint in Northridge.

With its vintage beige leatherette tuck ‘n’ roll booths and faux wood grain Formica tabletops, the classic setting is visually perfect for a place known for enormous breakfast burritos and fully loaded pastrami burgers.

These gut-busters still draw a loyal crowd to King’s. But so does a wild array of raw fish creations fashioned by the owner’s son, sushi chef Jun Y. Cha. Cha, an alumnus of Sushi Roku, Katana and a handful of other high-profile sushi havens, agreed to help his dad spiff up King’s menu about three years ago.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      If you're into excellent sushi + ______ combinations, you're going to need to come out to the SFV and try King's Burger/Got Sushi? once this is all over. I've been eating there for 20 years.
      Ok Vad, it's a date!

Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
      Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...area-counties/

Thanks for this - that pic is hilarious. I have largely been avoiding news besides the official press briefing. Trying to avoid the insanity that is the media - social and mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      This is the part that makes him a douchebag.

I get the argument that "just driving" isn't endangering anyone. It's perfectly reasonably.

But "Shelter in place" is not keeping people from doing the things they need to do. You can still go to the grocery store. You can still go to the Dr. You can still get take-out if restaurants are open and offering it.

What else do you need to be doing that is preventing you from living "a reasonable life" that doesn't involve being in crowded places?

EDIT: After thinking more about this I'm not sure even just "driving around" is all that logical. What happens if you get into an accident and get in a fender bender and have to interact with another driver? What happens if you have to go to the ER?

I get it that the chances are slim but why take the chance for no reason other then "I wanna do what I wanna do"?

I'm not trying to be selfish, maybe my words were strong. I just have a big issue with how this is all being framed. Do we need to confine the majority of the population to their homes to prevent the spread? Sure, that's a reasonable approach. At the same time, the expectation that every person is going to stay in their homes for the next month or longer, with no pleasure activities besides going for a walk - that's unrealistic imo.

The irony of the "essential travel" we are talking about is people going to places where lots of people, potentially infected, touch everything and constantly break "social distancing." Supermarkets, Costco, hardware stores, any of the stores currently open now - they are all potential infection super-centers. We allow this under shelter-in-place because its "necessary," that doesn't make it logical. I bought my food for the next month in one stop, on the first day, because I know going to the store even one more time than I have to is contributing to the problem. I realize this doesn't work for everyone - I only have myself to care for.

I say all this to say: my hour long drive in the canyons, in all reasonable likeihood, is not endangering anyone. The walk to the Amazon Hub at my apartment complex where we have to put in a code on a keypad to retrieve our packages (read: delivery place for non-perishable consumables) is infinitely more dangerous to public health than my drive.

Sorry - just because the government says some good things doesn't mean all the things its says are good or "logical," if we want to talk about logic.

Stay safe, health, and sane everyone!

-Cid
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Depends if I'm trying to maximize exit speed to get to the end of col-de-sac a few tenths quicker.

^ You're either not thinking of the potential outcomes, or if you have, you feel they are statistically too low to impact your decision making. See above for references to scenarios where you get into a accident during your non-essential drive. Say a deer runs out in front of you, or something else that's outside of your control. That will force a team to come out and assist you, and if you're badly hurt, a team at hospital that can any day become inundated with cases of COVID-19. Is that a far fetched scenario? It may sound like it, but that would have been true for Italy the day before as well.

My fear here is that by doing all the right things and avoiding the unfortunate circumstances in Italy, we're going to have the "see, it was nothing, we over-reacted" folks coming out, which would make something similar in the future even harder to deal with.

I hope we contain it and that we limit the impact as much as possible. I understand and share your need to get out and do something pleasurable. You're not wrong in desiring that. But before you decide to go out for a canyon drive, I just ask that you think of some worst case scenarios, and take them into consideration.

^ You're either not thinking of the potential outcomes, or if you have, you feel they are statistically too low to impact your decision making. See above for references to scenarios where you get into a accident during your non-essential drive. Say a deer runs out in front of you, or something else that's outside of your control. That will force a team to come out and assist you, and if you're badly hurt, a team at hospital that can any day become inundated with cases of COVID-19. Is that a far fetched scenario? It may sound like it, but that would have been true for Italy the day before as well.

My fear here is that by doing all the right things and avoiding the unfortunate circumstances in Italy, we're going to have the "see, it was nothing, we over-reacted" folks coming out, which would make something similar in the future even harder to deal with.

I hope we contain it and that we limit the impact as much as possible. I understand and share your need to get out and do something pleasurable. You're not wrong in desiring that. But before you decide to go out for a canyon drive, I just ask that you think of some worst case scenarios, and take them into consideration.
      It's the latter. I have an imagination, I am capable of the infinite scenarios that could possibly happen. I am not a child.

I'm curious what the likelihood of true accidents requiring medical attention in the average single family home compare to the likelihood of a single vehicle accident requiring medical attention. We're just getting in the weeds of what is possible - an infinite journey of what ifs. I acknowledge that anything can happen. Guess what, anything can happen anywhere - it would be really unfortunate if something unplanned happened to anyone, whether that's an in-home accident while sheltering-in-place or an accident out on a road. I don't think what your getting at is any more or less likely to happen that any event requiring medical attention that could happen inside my residence, your residence, or any other residence. You know what else I bet is happening all over the country? People getting drunk and doing stupid **** in their house. I'm not being negligent by driving my car, alone. Sorry.

I hear you, and I am thinking about it, and I get it. Its just not the way I live my life - I'm not going to be scared of remote consequences if they are not directly related to the impact of spreading the virus. That might sound selfish on the face of it, but it is realistic.
      Depends if I'm trying to maximize exit speed to get to the end of col-de-sac a few tenths quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderian View Post
      It's the latter. I have an imagination, I am capable of the infinite scenarios that could possibly happen. I am not a child.

I'm curious what the likelihood of true accidents requiring medical attention in the average single family home compare to the likelihood of a single vehicle accident requiring medical attention. We're just getting in the weeds of what is possible - an infinite journey of what ifs. I acknowledge that anything can happen. Guess what, anything can happen anywhere - it would be really unfortunate if something unplanned happened to anyone, whether that's an in-home accident while sheltering-in-place or an accident out on a road. I don't think what your getting at is any more or less likely to happen that any event requiring medical attention that could happen inside my residence, your residence, or any other residence. You know what else I bet is happening all over the country? People getting drunk and doing stupid **** in their house. I'm not being negligent by driving my car, alone. Sorry.

I hear you, and I am thinking about it, and I get it. Its just not the way I live my life - I'm not going to be scared of remote consequences if they are not directly related to the impact of spreading the virus. That might sound selfish on the face of it, but it is realistic.
      No one said you're a child. You seem to be adamant on getting consensus that going out for a canyon drive won't potentially add undue burden or create unnecessary risk. Likely you'll get agreement from some, but not from me.

Sure, I can trip down the stairs at home, and let's assume that's as likely as hitting a dear in the canyon. But going out for a canyon drive might encourage others to do the same, perhaps those who haven't given it as much considering as you have, and potentially by those who may not be as cautious.

No one said you're a child. You seem to be adamant on getting consensus that going out for a canyon drive won't potentially add undue burden or create unnecessary risk. Likely you'll get agreement from some, but not from me.

Sure, I can trip down the stairs at home, and let's assume that's as likely as hitting a dear in the canyon. But going out for a canyon drive might encourage others to do the same, perhaps those who haven't given it as much considering as you have, and potentially by those who may not be as cautious.
      Not trying to be defensive. We can agree to disagree. I don't need consensus. I got called a douchebag based on faulty logic and I am explaining my position with reason. I think we understand each other, and I mean that sincerely.

I'm just not ready to turn this pandemic into paranoia which is a short slippery slope to pandemonium. This can get a whole lot worse and the only thing stopping it is people keeping their heads focused on the facts and the realities.

I hope you, your family, and everyone stays safe and healthy

-Cid

took me 16 hours to drive from Truckee to SF between Sunday and Monday.

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Quote Originally Posted by Ciderian View Post
      I have largely been avoiding news besides the official press briefing.
      I really hope you are not talking about the White House press briefings...

Whole state of CA is now in shelter-in-place. The entire state of California

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      Whole state of CA is now in shelter-in-place. The entire state of California
      Good. Now they will stop moving to Texas.

Good discussion here; I see both sides of the spectrum between going out for a drive and staying put completely.

Depends on how long this virus thing goes, I will have to take my car out for spin sometime; where I have it parked there's no facilities to install a battery tender.

I drove up to the farmers market today, picked up lunch and veggies...

Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      I drove up to the farmers market today, picked up lunch and veggies...
      No pickle chips and salmon jerky?

Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Good discussion here; I see both sides of the spectrum between going out for a drive and staying put completely.

Depends on how long this virus thing goes, I will have to take my car out for spin sometime; where I have it parked there's no facilities to install a battery tender.
      Thankfully the Evora is on the tender. It’s built into the car. Because Lotus.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Good. Now they will stop moving to Texas.
      Ok. I lol’ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      No pickle chips and salmon jerky?
      I smoked a 14lb packer brisket from Costco on Monday so I have tons of beef.

I also have some smoked salmon leftover...

I probably have enough charcoal to do two more longgg smokes (brisket took 14 hours)...

But the San Rafael farmers market appears to be operating, and the grocery store near me was pretty well stocked...

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast