I bought an 18YO Audi nevAr Loose for a daily - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Sent you a private message. I wish I could get more miles on the car. The problem is I work only 20 miles round trip and only need to go in 3 or 4 days a week. When I do go in sometimes I need to shuffle people too and the TT can't help me there.

You are doing some amazing work, these cars can get testy at times but the knowledge out on the forums is great. TTforum UK is one of the best places to get info. There are some nice project people are working on there too for you to check out.

My brother lives in Middletown, NY and I often make a Binghamton stop since it is 1/2 between Rochester and there. TT has made that trip a few times so maybe we will bump into each other or try a finger lakes drive at some point around the glen.
      Current: 2020 Acura MDX
      Past VAG vehicles: 15 GLI, 13 and 10 CC Sport, 2001 Jetta GLX, 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, 2007 Jetta GLI, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 02 TT ALMS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by juvefan20 View Post
      Sent you a private message. I wish I could get more miles on the car. The problem is I work only 20 miles round trip and only need to go in 3 or 4 days a week. When I do go in sometimes I need to shuffle people too and the TT can't help me there.

You are doing some amazing work, these cars can get testy at times but the knowledge out on the forums is great. TTforum UK is one of the best places to get info. There are some nice project people are working on there too for you to check out.

My brother lives in Middletown, NY and I often make a Binghamton stop since it is 1/2 between Rochester and there. TT has made that trip a few times so maybe we will bump into each other or try a finger lakes drive at some point around the glen.
      It was nice talking to you. Thanks for your input and your TT looks great. If you are ever traveling through Binghamton feel free to message me. Definitely interested in a nice drive around the finger lakes or Glen.

Update: The TT is running well despite still needing the check valve. The hatch struts decided to quit on me so I ordered two replacements as well as a fuel filter and injector o-rings since I didn’t replace them when I reinstalled them yesterday.

Some more goodies arrived today. Thanks Noah.

The rest of my parts arrive next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Excited to see this come together
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Always fun to see parts showing up! Its like Christmas in April!!!

Nice!

My wife has an Imola yellow 2004 TTq 3.2 DGS S-Line roadster with 18-inch wheels and ebony optic interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Excited to see this come together
      It's getting there. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a few items at the right price but over all I think the car is almost done as far as maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Always fun to see parts showing up! Its like Christmas in April!!!
      Definitely! Thanks for answering my question this weekend. Bushings are easy to install and it's feeling great. More on that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      Nice!

My wife has an Imola yellow 2004 TTq 3.2 DGS S-Line roadster with 18-inch wheels and ebony optic interior.
      Thanks.

That's a rare color. I sometimes wish this car had a real color but silver works great for a daily.
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

Friday I gave my wife her first manual transmission lesson. She did well for her first time. Definitely needs more seat time. But that’s to be expected.

Yesterday was a productive day. I was able to get the TT on the lift and swapped the fuel filter and control arm bushings.

Old

New

I will replace the clamp next time as it’s getting rusty.

The control arms are pretty easy to get out. I still had marks on the ball joints from previous work. The rear bushings are pretty easy to get out. Replacing them is a PITA but I managed.
      The front bushings suck to get out. I drilled the rubber around the metal insert and then pressed the insert out then got the metal sleeve with an air hammer.

The new upgraded bushings go in easy. No grease required per Noah.

I cleaned the arms up afterwards with some all purpose cleaner.

Arms reinstalled.

I haven’t had much seat time since install and it needs an alignment but so far feedback is great. Turn in is sharper. I’m looking forward to more driving time and installing them in my R32.

John

You bought an 18 year old VW golf with some audi bits stuck onto it for a daily.

Way less scary when you say it that way.

Looks like you are making nice progress!

Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
      Good luck with that. Hope to see a thread.
      My 23 YO Silver Audi arrived from PA on Saturday. It is currently in quarantine for a few days per the Wife.

The B5 forum is dead, but I made a thread anyway: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-97-Silver-12v

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      My 23 YO Silver Audi arrived from PA on Saturday. It is currently in quarantine for a few days per the Wife.

The B5 forum is dead, but I made a thread anyway: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-97-Silver-12v
      You might have more luck making a thread here in TCL. I subscribed to the thread, either way, but figured I'd throw it out there that TCL likes a good car thread.

Great progress John!

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      You might have more luck making a thread here in TCL. I subscribed to the thread, either way, but figured I'd throw it out there that TCL likes a good car thread.
      Will-do. Thinking of a creative thread title now...

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      You bought an 18 year old VW golf with some audi bits stuck onto it for a daily.

It's all about perspective.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

lol, very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      Looks like you are making nice progress!

Nice, looking forward to your transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      What he said

Great progress John!
      Thanks Noah.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      It's all about perspective.
      It certainly is.

John

Yesterday the check valve and inspection port plug arrived along with an upgraded dog bone bushing. ECS had it on sale for under $4 so I figured I’d try it. Plus I wanted free shipping and had to hit the magic number. I ordered a few fasteners. Some for the side splash shields that mount to the main splash shield and for the radiator plastic covers.

Swapped out the new check valve with my rigged (precisely engineered) check valve.

Then had to find a clear path to the flywheel inspection port.

All plugged. Luckily the plug is a rubber stopper with ribs. Originally I thought it threaded in and there’s no way I could get my hand in to thread it. I was about to set it in place and use a long pry bar to shove it in. Now I can give the engine bay a proper cleaning without flushing all the crud into the flywheel.

After that I fired up VCDS and scanned the car, cleared the codes and did a throttle body alignment. Check the MAF reading at idle and it looked good. Once I can run some logs we will see if everything is in top top shape.

I took it for a test drive and it’s feeling great. So I decided it was time for my wife to have her second manual driving lesson. This time I explained to her what exactly the clutch pedal is doing when she presses it and and when she is releasing it. She did much better. She can do very well getting the car moving with only using the clutch. When she tries to add the gas pedal in when the clutch is beginning to engage she ends up letting off the clutch too quickly and stalling. It’s definitely going to require practice using both feet. On the bright side, she’s getting good at instantly restarting the car and trying again.

I have new hatch struts that should arrive tomorrow. After that I’m no longer waiting on parts. Once I decide who to send the gauge cluster to I will tackle the bi-xenon projector swap while the car is down. I still want to swap the rest of the fluids. Any suggests for the transmission and front and rear differentials?

OEM?
      Redline?
      Something else?

John

I had a clunk shifting in second gear that cleared up with Redline fluid. Also used redline in the rear for consistency.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...lug/02j398001/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...g/n0138503kt2/

Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      I still want to swap the rest of the fluids. Any suggests for the transmission and front and rear differentials?

OEM?
      Redline?
      Something else?

On projects like this, I always choose OEM. Sure it will cost more, but it should be guaranteed to work as designed. The last thing I want after having all this work done is for something silly, like cheap fluids, to **** up my process.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

I use mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in diffs. Never had an issue, and maybe it's placebo but it seems like the synthetic makes the vehicle slightly more efficient. In my old SVX, I changed front and rear diffs to M1 and got 2mpg better than my best MPG on the next road trip I took with it.

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      On projects like this, I always choose OEM. Sure it will cost more, but it should be guaranteed to work as designed. The last thing I want after having all this work done is for something silly, like cheap fluids, to **** up my process.
      This.

I think I ended up with a different trans fluid, but it is what FCP recommends as "OEM" replacement.

If they'll stand behind it, I'll stick it in my car.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Very nice! You've done a great job bringing it back to life.

I still want to swap the rest of the fluids. Any suggests for the transmission and front and rear differentials?
      As noted the Audi fluids work well and actually aren't that cost prohibitive, especially when bought through someone like dap, ecs, fcp etc it is only a few bucks more than parts store mobil/penzoil, and sometimes about the same as the aftermarket brands.

The front diff/trans are the same fluid.

The rear has haldex fluid and also the rear diff fluid, these are separate/different.

For the haldex the genuine stuff is basically the same price as the OE stuff so that makes it easy.

The haldex fluid is the one you really need to worry about, sure don't ignore the others but this is the one with an actual service interval and must be changed along with the haldex filter.

OEM fluid works great, Mobil Delvac or LiquiMoly if doing heavy track use are the what I have always run. The Mobil 75w-90 Delvac is my main preferred gear box fluid as it is easily available in 5 gal buckets and gets along with VW/Audi and Porsche transmissions and differentials.

I have found Redline increases syncro wear on the 02A/J/M boxes for what it is worth over the years of rebuilding them.

Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Very nice! You've done a great job bringing it back to life.
      Thank you. It was in good shape it just was due for maintenance mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      As noted the Audi fluids work well and actually aren't that cost prohibitive, especially when bought through someone like dap, ecs, fcp etc it is only a few bucks more than parts store mobil/penzoil, and sometimes about the same as the aftermarket brands.

The front diff/trans are the same fluid.

The rear has haldex fluid and also the rear diff fluid, these are separate/different.

For the haldex the genuine stuff is basically the same price as the OE stuff so that makes it easy.

The haldex fluid is the one you really need to worry about, sure don't ignore the others but this is the one with an actual service interval and must be changed along with the haldex filter.
      Thank you for the input. I already swapped the haldex fluid and filter earlier. I have an R32 so I am familiar with the Haldex but the R32 is much lower mileage so I have not done the diffs or tranny yet. I figured I would test any non OEM fluid in the TT first.

OEM fluid works great, Mobil Delvac or LiquiMoly if doing heavy track use are the what I have always run. The Mobil 75w-90 Delvac is my main preferred gear box fluid as it is easily available in 5 gal buckets and gets along with VW/Audi and Porsche transmissions and differentials.

I have found Redline increases syncro wear on the 02A/J/M boxes for what it is worth over the years of rebuilding them.
      Interesting about the redline. I have a friend who keeps telling me to get it but I wanted to get more opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      This.

I think I ended up with a different trans fluid, but it is what FCP recommends as "OEM" replacement.

If they'll stand behind it, I'll stick it in my car.
      Can't argue that.

I use mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in diffs. Never had an issue, and maybe it's placebo but it seems like the synthetic makes the vehicle slightly more efficient. In my old SVX, I changed front and rear diffs to M1 and got 2mpg better than my best MPG on the next road trip I took with it.
      I think I have a few bottles of that. I will have to check what weight.

Quote Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
      I had a clunk shifting in second gear that cleared up with Redline fluid. Also used redline in the rear for consistency.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...lug/02j398001/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...g/n0138503kt2/
      Interesting that it helped. Thanks for your experience.

I think for now I will probably get the OEM or OEM like tranny fluid. I have had issues with other cars in the past when the fluid was cold the shifting was stiff.

John

Haven’t done much with the TT lately besides drive it for short trips to grab food. I’m am enjoying my replacement control bushings. I still need an alignment but it’s definitely improved with the new bushings.

The Mrs. has had 4 lessons behind the wheel. She’s good at letting the clutch pedal out and getting the car moving without using the gas. She’s not very good when she tries to give it gas. She forgets to release the clutch pedal and stalls it. So we shall continue practicing in a parking lot until she’s confident enough to drive on the street.

My hatch struts arrived and I replaced the leaking ones.

Now it takes a good amount of effort to close it but I don’t need a stick to hold it open.

My window seals leak ever so slightly when I wash the car so I ordered some of the magical Honda Shin-etsu silicone grease. I did apply some Nextzett gummi Pflege when I first bought the car but I’ve been wanting to try the grease anyways so I had an excuse.

John

My window seals leak ever so slightly when I wash the car so I ordered some of the magical Honda Shin-etsu silicone grease. I did apply some Nextzett gummi Pflege when I first bought the car but I’ve been wanting to try the grease anyways so I had an excuse.

More info on those two products?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast