I bought an 18YO Audi nevAr Loose for a daily - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      More info on those two products?

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...eaks-shin-etsu

That is a good read and mentions the gummi pflege. Basically both are seal conditioning products. The gummi pflege I usually apply at least once a year to all my vehicles to help with doors freezing shut in the winter.
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
      https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...eaks-shin-etsu

That is a good read and mentions the gummi pflege. Basically both are seal conditioning products. The gummi pflege I usually apply at least once a year to all my vehicles to help with doors freezing shut in the winter.
      Thanks for the link! I'll definitely have to pick some up!

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely have to pick some up!
      You're welcome. I will report back my results when the shin-etsu grease arrives.
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

Small update. The grease arrived so I applied to all the weather stripping.

You can see where itís applied due to the slight darkening effect.

Some wear from 18 years of window edge rubbing it.

Hopefully it fixes my slight leak when washing the car. I also applied to the hatch adjustment pegs to see if it quiets things down. The grease applied easily. I used very little and applied with an old microfiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by audicoupej; 05-13-2020 at 07:45 AM.

John

Small update. The grease arrived so I applied to all the weather stripping.

You can see where itís applied due to the slight darkening effect.

Some wear from 18 years of window edge rubbing it.

Hopefully it fixes my slight leak when washing the car. I also applied to the hatch adjustment pegs to see if it quiets things down. The grease applied easily. I used very little and applied with an old microfiber.

Looks good! I'll have to give it a try.

Havenít done much with the TT lately besides drive it for short trips to grab food. Iím am enjoying my replacement control bushings. I still need an alignment but itís definitely improved with the new bushings.

The Mrs. has had 4 lessons behind the wheel. Sheís good at letting the clutch pedal out and getting the car moving without using the gas. Sheís not very good when she tries to give it gas. She forgets to release the clutch pedal and stalls it. So we shall continue practicing in a parking lot until sheís confident enough to drive on the street.

My hatch struts arrived and I replaced the leaking ones.

Now it takes a good amount of effort to close it but I donít need a stick to hold it open.

My window seals leak ever so slightly when I wash the car so I ordered some of the magical Honda Shin-etsu silicone grease. I did apply some Nextzett gummi Pflege when I first bought the car but Iíve been wanting to try the grease anyways so I had an excuse.

Nice!! Have some hood struts for mine, got the hatch to the back of the head the other day and was like WTF?!

A trick for the clutch in the 1.8t TT's with light weight flywheels is to raise the idle to 950-975, works like a charm not having to feather the throttle on hills as it will just go on its own. Totally forgot about doing this until now. I run a 14lb flywheel and it is a perfect match.

Looks good! I'll have to give it a try.
      For under $20 the tube should last a very long time. It can't hurt. I'm hoping it will seal up my beater truck so I get less wind noise.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Nice!! Have some hood struts for mine, got the hatch to the back of the head the other day and was like WTF?!

A trick for the clutch in the 1.8t TT's with light weight flywheels is to raise the idle to 950-975, works like a charm not having to feather the throttle on hills as it will just go on its own. Totally forgot about doing this until now. I run a 14lb flywheel and it is a perfect match.
      Mine was fine when I first bought the car but they must have been on the verge of blowing the seals. It requires quite a good amount of force to close now which is a problem for my anal retentive self not wanting to touch the paint. I cannot swing it down hard enough using the inside handle.

Can this be done in Vagcom? I have owned it for years but mainly just to scan cars and clear codes. I need to learn the other features better.

John

For under $20 the tube should last a very long time. It can't hurt. I'm hoping it will seal up my beater truck so I get less wind noise.

Mine was fine when I first bought the car but they must have been on the verge of blowing the seals. It requires quite a good amount of force to close now which is a problem for my anal retentive self not wanting to touch the paint. I cannot swing it down hard enough using the inside handle.

Can this be done in Vagcom? I have owned it for years but mainly just to scan cars and clear codes. I need to learn the other features better.
      You can using the old Unitronic Lemiwinks software & Vagcom Cable or using Maestro7 but that is a full flash.

You can using the old Unitronic Lemiwinks software & Vagcom Cable or using Maestro7 but that is a full flash.
      Good to know. Thank you.

Until then she will have to learn to use both pedals at once.

John

So the starter finally died last week. We were out and when I went to start it there was no noise. So I taught my wife how to pop start it. I ordered a brand new Bosch starter from Rockauto.

This sure looks used.

Didnít feel like moving vehicles to get it on the lift and thought it was going to be easy to do from up top. Boy was I wrong.

Finally got it back together and torqued accordingly.

Go to start it and something isnít right. I think the the solenoid isnít extending. I can hear it whiring but not trying to spin the flywheel. So it appears my new starter is actually perhaps a return due to being DOA.

John

New starter arrived from rock auto and looked exactly like the previous new starter. Hmm ok so Bosch testing marks up the gear pretty good. But letís look a little closer.

This is shorter. Gee maybe thatís my problem. I ordered the starter listed for my car but it doesnít match the old one. Maybe that was my issue. Turns out it is. I ran to advance auto to see what they have in stock. The starters for 2002 all look like mine and are listed as 212mm length. The sales lady said letís look ahead a year. 2003 shows the correct starter listed at 234mm. Perfect. Except itís about to close and at a different location and itís car quest brand.

Ok no problem. I grab the new starter in the morning and installed it. Car starts fine. The next day I run out to grab food and it sounds like the fans are running after I stop the car. Hmm weird but it happens if itís warm. I get back in and drive home. Pull next to my wifeís car and hear the noise.

Weird. Letís pop the hood. Hmm smoke coming from the starter. I turn the car off and itís still making noise. So I unhooked the negative terminal and it stopped. I run in and had the fire extinguisher ready just in case. After it cooled down I removed the starter and returned it. They ordered me a remanufactured Bosch one that took way too long to come in. I swapped it Sunday and the car is good again. Oh I also flushed the brake fluid and bled the clutch. It was nasty. Only fluid left to do is the tranny.

I also spot polished a few areas just to remove some scuffs that were bugging me.

Upon closer inspection while polishing I noticed my tail light seals are shot.

So I ordered new ones and they should arrive today.

I have a question for the transmission gurus:
      The TT shifts much better than my R32. Both are O2M. The TT has a Spulen short shifter and the R32 has and old EIP one which I believe is a modified OEM one. The R32 also has shifter bushings and the clutch shim kit to eliminate clutch creep I was getting with the clutch master clutch. I like the short throw of the R32 but the smoothness of the TT. Whatís the best way to get the R32 smoother?
      The TT has double the miles on it.

John

I replaced the worse taillight seal today. Itís very easy but removing the clips from the old fragile plastic pins is not so easy. I broke 2
      But I was using the suggested adhesive as the directions propose so no worries.

New clips supplied by the seller

John

New seals look great! James hit it out of the park with them.

Not sure why the R32 shifter is so much stiffer, could be more of the transmission syncros IMO. I always love how smooth the TT shifter is. Only complaint was how short it is, so a extension takes care of that raising it 3" to be closer to the wheel.

New seals look great! James hit it out of the park with them.

Not sure why the R32 shifter is so much stiffer, could be more of the transmission syncros IMO. I always love how smooth the TT shifter is. Only complaint was how short it is, so a extension takes care of that raising it 3" to be closer to the wheel.
      Thanks. I'm very happy that someone decided to put in the effort to make them. Especially at a great price.

It's much harder to engage and very vague in comparison. I has an old EIP short shifter and I wonder if that is part of the issue. I did upgrade the shifter bracket bushings and it helped a tiny amount (plus cable alignment). Before I got the TT, I didn't think much about it. But now it drives me nuts because driving them back to back makes driving the R32 very hard. Might order all new bushings from dieselgeek and start there. Just seems odd the TT, with more than double the miles, shifts better.

John

TT has been getting used to run around after work but not having time to detail it properly has been bugging me. I had a bit of time Monday to wash it and give it a little love.
      Tires were deep cleaned with Tuf Shine tire cleaner than received 2 coats of Tuf Shine tire clear coat. I love this stuff. It gives a rich, deep appearance and lasts for months.

I also polished the hood to remove some scratches that were bothering me. I didnít have much time to work but got it looking much better. Hood was cleaned with a prep spray and hit with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz when I finished.

Hard to tell in the pictures but the flake is popping much more on the hood now. Iím hoping to have time for a full detail and coat the paint in a month or so.

Currently shopping snow tires to put on the OEM wheels.

Last edited by audicoupej; 09-16-2020 at 10:05 AM.

John

I'm going to sound like an insensitive jerk, but there's something about the wheel/tire setup that doesn't quite "fit" right with the car. It's a little more noticeable at the front.

Spacers and either a slight suspension drop, or tires with a taller sidewall would pull it together nicely.

I also really shouldn't talk, I've driven my B5 up and down the street a few times since I bought it!

Probably don't want to lose ride height if it's going to be a year-round daily.

Perhaps spacers + longer lug bolts could flush them out a bit, if that's what you're into.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      I'm going to sound like an insensitive jerk, but there's something about the wheel/tire setup that doesn't quite "fit" right with the car. It's a little more noticeable at the front.

Spacers and either a slight suspension drop, or tires with a taller sidewall would pull it together nicely.

I also really shouldn't talk, I've driven my B5 up and down the street a few times since I bought it!
      Spacers/extended lugs are hopefully soon. Iím too cheap to buy new and keep waiting for the correct used combo. Then coilovers, probably in the springtime (looking at KW V1) Itís in the plans but I have other needs like sending the cluster out for repair and getting snow tires. I just bought two sets of load range E truck tires so that stung a bit too.

I have to spread the costs around to keep my wife happy. Just bought some used gym equipment to make us both happy.

I am not a huge fan of these wheels but I think once the car sits a little lower and they are spaced out it will look better. I need to compare the weights with the OEM wheels. I may swap the tires and run these as my winter set and the OEM as summer. Depends on the condition. I havenít unboxed them all.
      I do have some 2004.5 GLI BBS wheels but the tires are like 12+ years old.
      The R32/20th Aristos look good on lowered TTs too but they arenít very light and most are in horrible shape or some random MKIV kid color.

That being said I am quite surprised how the car handles as is with the only thing Iíve done being upgraded front control arm bushings from Noah and OE rear position.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Probably don't want to lose ride height if it's going to be a year-round daily.

Perhaps spacers + longer lug bolts could flush them out a bit, if that's what you're into.
      I donít mind going a little lower. The Prefacelift cars sit an inch or so higher than the later cars so I have room to drop.

The last line cracked me up. Made me think of the song by Flight of the Conchords If youíre into it

Not sure if this will work:

https://g.co/kgs/y2UAXu

John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234