VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Paint Questions.

18K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BSM 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have some questions regarding paint that I'm hoping to get some feedback on.

The vehicle in question is a 1990 Cabriolet. Paint code L041. My understanding is that the paint job this car received at the factory was a gloss/clear paint job., as opposed to a single stage paint job which is more common now.

The paint has held up fairly well, however the clear coat has been breaking down quite badly on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Passenger fender

Passenger door

Passenger rear, below window

It has been suggested that I might be able to repair this by wet sanding and buffing. I am wondering if that seems possible based on the pictures provided and if not what is the best course of action.
The paint below the waistline trim actually looks pretty good (less direct sun abuse, I assume) soo I had considered attempting to re spray just the upper portion of the car. Is that stupid?

If I did attempt a partial re spray would a gloss/clear paint job be required, or would single stage be OK? I only ask because it seems like single stage is far more common.

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty novice at body work and paint but have been doing a little here and there and feel like I am getting better. Definitely something I want to learn.

See less See more
#3 ·
You’ve been misinformed - single stage paint is extremely rare nowadays.

Don’t buff it. You don’t want to abrade a finish which is already falling off. The only thing that will restore your clearcoat is adding clearcoat, i.e. a paint job.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.