Since we're getting COVID projects: I picked up a $500 Audi B5 to make into a daily driver...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Since we're getting COVID projects: I picked up a $500 Audi B5 to make into a daily driver...

I'm a long-time Mk1 & Mk2 VW guy and have wanted to have a B5 Audi for a while. I had a Mk2 Golf "project" that I was struggling to get into as it needed a lot of work. So I did the smart thing and traded one needy VAG product for another. I was actually working on this trade for a while before COVID came about, but it's a good excuse to share and the B5 sub-forum is pretty quiet...

For various reasons I decided that the 12v V6 engine was what I wanted. So I searched and came across this Silver '97 5MT Quattro. It has about 220k miles, and the body is in pretty good shape aside from some minor issues and missing trim pieces. The 12v runs a little rough and needs a TB/WP immediately. I will do that first while catching up on other maintenance items, then I'll give the interior and exterior a thorough cleaning. From there, I'll tackle the numerous other issues like an exhaust leak and clunk in the rear suspension to make this a reliable daily driver.

A good friend of mine went and picked up the B5, then I traded him the '85 Golf plus a bunch of goodies for it.

Body is pretty clean all-around:

It needs the TB/WP service immediately, and the engine runs a bit rough. I am glad I didn't go with a 30v:

Some rock chips in the hood:

Next few pics are of miscellanous missing trim and body damage that I'll work on:

Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 05-01-2020 at 10:34 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The car was in "quarantine" for a few days while I cleaned up the garage space. Last night I finally pushed it in to start on the TB/WP job.

First, I noticed that there's an E-Fan conversion. Nice!

I noticed these twisted wires & halfway-gone electrical tape...

Following the obviously non-factory wiring job, I pull this rats nest out from behind the Driver side headlight... It turns out that the PO didn't have large gauge wire to do the E-Fan conversion, so they ran multiple smaller gauge wires instead... I'll be cleaning this up for sure!

I was a little nervous about pulling the front end, but everything is really well-designed for this and the process went smoothly (so far):

​​​​​​​
      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 05-01-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Good luck on the project. Will be more involved than mine is so far. But for the price you paid it should be worth it. The nice thing with the older cars is all the DIYs are available. Although a lot of the pic links are dead.

Funny, my first car was an 85 Golf diesel 5sp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

Sweet! I'm still mad, a year later, that a tree decided to take out my pristine 75k mile 99.5 30v

If you're interested in a Stage 3 MAF and velocity stack, let me know...my 30v was a throttle cable engine so I could use the 12v MAF mod.
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

Quote Originally Posted by JMURiz View Post
      Sweet! I'm still mad, a year later, that a tree decided to take out my pristine 75k mile 99.5 30v

If you're interested in a Stage 3 MAF and velocity stack, let me know...my 30v was a throttle cable engine so I could use the 12v MAF mod.
      That stinks, do you have plans to ever have another? And how did you like the 30v? I'm sure the power bump is nice, but their added complexity and upper end width sucks up the last few bits of space in the bay, and that didn't appeal to me.

If you ever do get another, now seems to be a great time. The bodies hold up really well and it's common to see pretty solid looking (but needy) ones for well under $1k. I think they've been at the bottom of their depreciation curve for a while, and I see them parted out often.

Some updates on my B5: I spent some time carefully removing parts to get to the timing belt & waterpump. Gotta love how creative the engineers were that hid a couple of bolts behind the fan clutch pulley (just above the AC compressor).

Pulling the power steering pulley:

A local guy is letting me borrow the cam lock tool and a service manual for the AFC 12v engine. Both are extremely helpful!

Start spraying down the front suspension now. When you reassemble, use Nissan PBC grease on everything. Not kidding. EVERYTHING. Especially the UCA pinch bolt.

If it's been sitting, the UCA pinch bolt will likely be a total loss. An air hammer will be your friend. That and the candle trick - heat the spindle up and rub a candle into the hot metal. Let it sit overnight. Do this three or four days in a row. It sucks the wax in as it cools.

Have fun! B5 life is a great place to be. The cars handle like nothing else due the wacky front ends and they are truly joys to drive. You kind of waft a bit, but in a very controlled and pointful manner. And you can toss them like salad.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      That stinks, do you have plans to ever have another? And how did you like the 30v? I'm sure the power bump is nice, but their added complexity and upper end width sucks up the last few bits of space in the bay, and that didn't appeal to me.
      Loved my 30v, but it was my first post-college car so it will always have a soft spot with me.
      It was the best winter car I ever owned, with the non-sport suspension and good tires it could get through anything.

No desire to get another one, I have a C5 S6 avant that's taking up my daily driver money...super fun in it's ways too. Also have the project and driver P-cars to eat up the remainder of my money.

Once yours is up and running (looks like you;re making great progress) shoot me a message if interested trying the modified MAF housing and velocity stack.
      I can check with a local friend that ran 12v to see if he has any extra parts too.

atomicalex is right hit every suspension bolt with some PBBlaster and tap it now and then to start loosening stuff up. They are a PITA to get off, especially that pinch bolt!
      02 S6 Avant

Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      I am loving all of the late 90s early 2000s Audi saving that has been going on around here the last 6 months
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

I wouldn't wish a B5 on my worst enemy. Good luck dude. You're going to need it. Personally I think spending an extra $3-5000 on a clean one is worth it, those cars are 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag.

Nice work so far, keep it up. Always been a fan of these
      @saugster_pnw

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      I am loving all of the late 90s early 2000s Audi saving that has been going on around here the last 6 months
      Same.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Start spraying down the front suspension now. When you reassemble, use Nissan PBC grease on everything. Not kidding. EVERYTHING. Especially the UCA pinch bolt.

If it's been sitting, the UCA pinch bolt will likely be a total loss. An air hammer will be your friend. That and the candle trick - heat the spindle up and rub a candle into the hot metal. Let it sit overnight. Do this three or four days in a row. It sucks the wax in as it cools.

Have fun! B5 life is a great place to be. The cars handle like nothing else due the wacky front ends and they are truly joys to drive. You kind of waft a bit, but in a very controlled and pointful manner. And you can toss them like salad.
      Good tip. I work on the car a few nights a week and generally PB blast anything I expect to remove. It has been very helpful. Right now I've hit the crank bolts probably 4 times over a week, and hope they won't give me too much trouble...

I'll check out the PBC grease. I usually use Permatex Anti-Seize (the silver paste) with good results. Any reason not to, or is the PBC grease that much better?

Nice description on the handling! Aside from idling down my driveway, I have never actually driven a B5, so I look forward to that.

Loved my 30v, but it was my first post-college car so it will always have a soft spot with me.
      It was the best winter car I ever owned, with the non-sport suspension and good tires it could get through anything.

No desire to get another one, I have a C5 S6 avant that's taking up my daily driver money...super fun in it's ways too. Also have the project and driver P-cars to eat up the remainder of my money.

Once yours is up and running (looks like you;re making great progress) shoot me a message if interested trying the modified MAF housing and velocity stack.
      I can check with a local friend that ran 12v to see if he has any extra parts too.

atomicalex is right hit every suspension bolt with some PBBlaster and tap it now and then to start loosening stuff up. They are a PITA to get off, especially that pinch bolt!
      Do you have a thread on the C5 S6? Is it black with the questionable passenger side fender vents? If-so, I've been following that one.

Pretty sure my '97 will also have the non-sport suspension. I don't mind the ride height as-is, but I do forsee lowering it slightly on a good suspension. I've had H&R / Bilstein on other cars and really liked the combo, so that's probably what I will do as funding allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Yeah, I am following a few of those and got a little frustrated with living vicariously through them...

Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      I wouldn't wish a B5 on my worst enemy. Good luck dude. You're going to need it. Personally I think spending an extra $3-5000 on a clean one is worth it, those cars are 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag.
      Thanks, and I get it. Being really familiar with VW MK1 & Mk2, it was a big mental hurdle for me to do this. I've read some horror stories about B5's and had my doubts, but also have heard how great they can be. I think I made the right choice by going with the simplest and most reliable engine offered.

To your point, I have also heard that these are $3-5K cars, whether you pay for it upfront or deferred... Without getting into a back story, I had very little upfront cash and needed to work this out as a trade for the Mk2. I do have the ability to put effort and money in it by spreading it out over time and I can afford the down-time on it while doing maintenance.

Also, I know this sounds weird but I think the married guys will get me: If I had to shop around and blow $3-5K of family money, there's an expectation that the car will be trouble-free for a while (LOL). So, any issues with a $3-5k car would reflect badly on my "pre-inspection" skills and become a sore point with the Wife. On the other hand it's a much easier pitch (and smoother on the budget) to spend increments of cash fixing up a ~ $500 car over time. This whole change was an exercise in balancing my wants & needs along with my abilities & limitations... Cheap 12v B5 was the answer!
      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 05-06-2020 at 10:17 AM.

The old saying on CB5 was that these cars don't nickel and dime you to death, they $5 and $10 you to death. Mine sure does. Make sure you get the Meyle HD control arm kits and use the S4 outer TREs. Otherwise you will be just throwing suspension parts at it. Look up 1BE alignment specs, too. You want those, not the 1BA specs. Otherwise it will tramline badly. With the 1BE spec (less toe) it tramlines less.

PBC is that much better. Toxic as all get out, but that much better. I work for Loctite and I use PBC now. Lead butyl carbamate.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad had a little plastic vial of it that he treated like gold (it is gold-coloured). We could never figure out what it was, but it worked. A few years ago, I was out at my local tuner shop and the parts guy (who is a god walking this planet) showed it to me and tried to gift me a bottle. I foolishly said, no, I'll get one myself, don't spend money on me. $54 later at Nissan, I had one precious bottle of PBC grease, and the parts guys there were like "did Steve's send you? They buy cases of this stuff".

Personally, if the only reason Nissan Motor existed was to bring the world PBC grease, it would be worth it. It forgives an awful lot of Altimas.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Also, you def have the non-sport suspension.

I used to have a MkI. There will be stuff that you look at and be like "this is the same" and other stuff that you will look at and be like "WTF, dude?".
      I AM DISCO DIVA!

Re: S6 threads
      Nope, no threads on any of my cars online.

Mine is black with light grey alcantara interior, and the 3rd row option. Have a bunch of parts to put on it, 17Z brakes with big rotors for the front and apikol 310mm rear hardware etc., magnaflow header-back setup with sport cats...just need to find the time to install it all. Took me a good 2 years to get everything sorted that the PO's shop said they did, but actually did with inferior parts and needed redone.

I've found that he killer on this era Audi is that if the maintenance is deferred at all it's add up exponentially. But I come from the P-car world so I'm used to it and the Audis seem like a bargain comparatively.
      02 S6 Avant

Oh, brakes. If you don't have the 312mm rotors up front, it's a quick caliper bracket change to get them. You can unload the rear suspension nicely with that upgrade.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!

Hol' up - what's that now?

Good luck with the project, OP. I'm always struck by how well B5s have aged. One of my bigger automotive regrets is not buying another one after my '01.5 A4 was totalled back in 2007 when nice ones were easier to find.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Thanks, and I get it. Being really familiar with VW MK1 & Mk2, it was a big mental hurdle for me to do this. I've read some horror stories about B5's and had my doubts, but also have heard how great they can be. I think I made the right choice by going with the simplest and most reliable engine offered.

To your point, I have also heard that these are $3-5K cars, whether you pay for it upfront or deferred... Without getting into a back story, I had very little upfront cash and needed to work this out as a trade for the Mk2. I do have the ability to put effort and money in it by spreading it out over time and I can afford the down-time on it while doing maintenance.

Also, I know this sounds weird but I think the married guys will get me: If I had to shop around and blow $3-5K of family money, there's an expectation that the car will be trouble-free for a while (LOL). So, any issues with a $3-5k car would reflect badly on my "pre-inspection" skills and become a sore point with the Wife. On the other hand it's a much easier pitch (and smoother on the budget) to spend increments of cash fixing up a ~ $500 car over time. This whole change was an exercise in balancing my wants & needs along with my abilities & limitations... Cheap 12v B5 was the answer!
      I would think a 1.8T B5 would be the most reliable, easy to work on version you can find. Everything is at least pretty accessible, and the 1.8T can be tuned for more power pretty easily.

Watching this one for sure. As a former 30v owner, I was always a little underwhelmed by these motors. Mine was '98 sedan, 5-speed. Always wished it was a 1.8T so I could mod it. Couldn't outdrag my best friend in his '00 528i with an automatic that put out the same amount of HP. While driver skill could probably be blamed for some of that, I'll attribute that to the double-VANOS that made the BMW M52TU a pretty decent powerplant for its size.

Conversely the 30-valve head on the Audi kept mostly the same midrange power as the 12-valve that was in our '95 A6 that we had at the same time, it just had a little more top end to it.

Hate to be a downer on the 30-valve, I just don't think it's an impressive motor. The 12-valve is a smooth operator, so as long as you don't want to cane it on the twisties, you'll enjoy it. The rest of the B5 was just so ahead of its time, that its driving characteristics feel just as modern today as when it was launched 25 years ago.

A buddy of mine (also an ex-B5 owner) got himself into a $400 Avant project a couple years ago. Still ongoing because he has to mod or rebuild anything he owns to his liking, and being a perfectionist and starting with a 200k-mile specimen, it has taken a while.

Pretty sure my '97 will also have the non-sport suspension. I don't mind the ride height as-is, but I do forsee lowering it slightly on a good suspension. I've had H&R / Bilstein on other cars and really liked the combo, so that's probably what I will do as funding allows.
      If you're going to do suspension work, check your strut mounts, particularly in the rear. A B5 that's not very crusty on the outside could have terminal rot in the strut mounts. My buddy's project B5 has iffy ones (as I mentioned the car has over 200k, and while it has a mint body it lived in the Northeast all its life) and we've been scouring junkyards around here for some, to no avail. He finally ended up ordering some rust-free ones off eBay. Just want to give you a heads up so that if you buy the parts and sit down to it, you don't find that your plans are ruined by the inability to re-use the strut mounts.

I hear you on that. I've gone through 2 of those projects where that $3-5K car is now a mechanically-solid and (somewhat) reliable older daily driver. First the '08 Subaru, which *knock on wood* has been pretty solid for a year, and now my '02 Silverado. Much easier to get the spouse on board with a cheap purchase price and give you something to do for the next few months. Keep up the good work

Congrats

You can toss the entire fan wiring system and go with an independent fan relay system as so: hayden fan.controller - Google Search
      https://www.google.com/search?q=hayd...B6HYZvnel96wxM

Turns on fans too when noticing you're running ac, very simple, ~$28 another trick is run an 8g wire from the battery to one of these to say under the drivers headlight: https://images.app.goo.gl/k5anc8uMaE9CrEM86

Now opposed to running yards and yards and yards of cable to the cab or battery and back your power wires can be 12" opposed to 12' as have power up front, and now can add fogs, pumps, etc in a snap.

You can toss the viscous fan pulley too...you might be able to get away w/o needing a new belt as the tensioner maybe able to pull the ~2-3" of extra slack...at worst any Autozone, Pepboys for a 5 rib ~3" shorter belt for ~$15 and now have a fresh belt too.

You can take that entire OEM wiring assembly rats nest next to the p/s reservoir and comfortably move the entire assembly under the drivers headlight with out extending a single wire or doing anything...for free and realy clean up the bay and toss the black cover Note the OEM black plastic plug organizer they're clipped into, you'll take that entire piece and go underneath the headlight. Once the bumper is on, you'll never see it again.
      Last edited by The A1 and A2 German; 05-06-2020 at 02:15 PM.
      FS:Custom '73 CB350 Museum Piece, 8 miles FS:3 Piece I-Forged 19" Rims
      FS:Custom '69 Stinger: SOLD FS:10' VTWIN Chopper SOLD :

Some good comments, going to tackle these with a Multi-Quote:

I used to have a MkI. There will be stuff that you look at and be like "this is the same" and other stuff that you will look at and be like "WTF, dude?".
      Definitely spotted a few familiar items so-far.

Re: S6 threads
      Nope, no threads on any of my cars online.

Mine is black with light grey alcantara interior, and the 3rd row option. Have a bunch of parts to put on it, 17Z brakes with big rotors for the front and apikol 310mm rear hardware etc., magnaflow header-back setup with sport cats...just need to find the time to install it all. Took me a good 2 years to get everything sorted that the PO's shop said they did, but actually did with inferior parts and needed redone.
      Sounds nice! And it seems these cars encourage long-term modifying, I guess because owners are busy fixing stuff!

I looked it up and I was thinking of "Mr. Miyagi's 1995 URS6 build" thread: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Project-Wax-On

Oh, brakes. If you don't have the 312mm rotors up front, it's a quick caliper bracket change to get them. You can unload the rear suspension nicely with that upgrade.
      Hmm, good to know. I'll give the fronts a measure and look into this. This is new to me, is it just a later model update or is it an upgrade from an S4 or A6? And calipers and pads stay the same, just larger rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      Good luck with the project, OP. I'm always struck by how well B5s have aged. One of my bigger automotive regrets is not buying another one after my '01.5 A4 was totalled back in 2007 when nice ones were easier to find.
      Thanks, and I agree. The B5 is a really handsome car. I'm in no rush, but will probably go with the later headlights and taillights at some point. You should grab one before they all get parted!

Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      I would think a 1.8T B5 would be the most reliable, easy to work on version you can find. Everything is at least pretty accessible, and the 1.8T can be tuned for more power pretty easily.
      Easier to work on, sure. But for reliability the 1.8t seems to have it's share of little issues. To be fair, they are well-documented and can be improved upon. On the other hand, practically every cheap 1.8t car I saw for sale was questionably modified or just trashed in general. The V6 cars have nicer trim and generally seem to be better cared for. I'll modify the car where I can, but didn't buy this for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Watching this one for sure. As a former 30v owner, I was always a little underwhelmed by these motors. Mine was '98 sedan, 5-speed. Always wished it was a 1.8T so I could mod it. Couldn't outdrag my best friend in his '00 528i with an automatic that put out the same amount of HP. While driver skill could probably be blamed for some of that, I'll attribute that to the double-VANOS that made the BMW M52TU a pretty decent powerplant for its size.

Conversely the 30-valve head on the Audi kept mostly the same midrange power as the 12-valve that was in our '95 A6 that we had at the same time, it just had a little more top end to it.

Hate to be a downer on the 30-valve, I just don't think it's an impressive motor. The 12-valve is a smooth operator, so as long as you don't want to cane it on the twisties, you'll enjoy it. The rest of the B5 was just so ahead of its time, that its driving characteristics feel just as modern today as when it was launched 25 years ago.

A buddy of mine (also an ex-B5 owner) got himself into a $400 Avant project a couple years ago. Still ongoing because he has to mod or rebuild anything he owns to his liking, and being a perfectionist and starting with a 200k-mile specimen, it has taken a while.

If you're going to do suspension work, check your strut mounts, particularly in the rear. A B5 that's not very crusty on the outside could have terminal rot in the strut mounts. My buddy's project B5 has iffy ones (as I mentioned the car has over 200k, and while it has a mint body it lived in the Northeast all its life) and we've been scouring junkyards around here for some, to no avail. He finally ended up ordering some rust-free ones off eBay. Just want to give you a heads up so that if you buy the parts and sit down to it, you don't find that your plans are ruined by the inability to re-use the strut mounts.

I hear you on that. I've gone through 2 of those projects where that $3-5K car is now a mechanically-solid and (somewhat) reliable older daily driver. First the '08 Subaru, which *knock on wood* has been pretty solid for a year, and now my '02 Silverado. Much easier to get the spouse on board with a cheap purchase price and give you something to do for the next few months. Keep up the good work
      Your experience sounds similar to what I heard while researching. It's not that the 30v is a bad engine, it's just that for the added complexity and size it doesn't excel anywhere. Knowing that I'll be wrenching on the car often, that extra ~ 20hp wasn't worth the hassle.

Good point with the rear strut mounts. I'm on the B5 Facebook group and regularly see people post photos of rusted away mounts, wanting to buy clean ones. The rest of the car holds up so well (galvanized body?) that it's deceiving how bad other spots can get. I've read the front subframe is also a spot to check. Good thing is both assemblies are bolt-on parts.

Quote Originally Posted by The A1 and A2 German View Post
      Congrats

You can toss the entire fan wiring system and go with an independent fan relay system as so: hayden fan.controller - Google Search
      https://www.google.com/search?q=hayd...B6HYZvnel96wxM

Turns on fans too when noticing you're running ac, very simple, ~$28 another trick is run an 8g wire from the battery to one of these to say under the drivers headlight: https://images.app.goo.gl/k5anc8uMaE9CrEM86

Now opposed to running yards and yards and yards of cable to the cab or battery and back your power wires can be 12" opposed to 12' as have power up front, and now can add fogs, pumps, etc in a snap.

You can toss the viscous fan pulley too...you might be able to get away w/o needing a new belt as the tensioner maybe able to pull the ~2-3" of extra slack...at worst any Autozone, Pepboys for a 5 rib ~3" shorter belt for ~$15 and now have a fresh belt too.

You can take that entire OEM wiring assembly rats nest next to the p/s reservoir and comfortably move the entire assembly under the drivers headlight with out extending a single wire or doing anything...for free and realy clean up the bay and toss the black cover Note the OEM black plastic plug organizer they're clipped into, you'll take that entire piece and go underneath the headlight. Once the bumper is on, you'll never see it again.

^ Good info here!

Just curious: Is there any reason I couldn't use the three wire sensor in the radiator to trigger the fans? On my old Cabriolet the fan circuit was frayed, so I built a new "standalone" circuit in the engine bay directly off the battery (with a fuse) and used the rad sensor to open and close it. It worked fine, although in hindsight I should have included a relay.

And if not, I'll gladly go with the Hayden controller.

Half of that rats nest is the questionable E-fan conversion job. I'll be tossing that out, regardless what direction I go. But also good to know that I can tuck away the OEM nest. I don't have the cover for it, so it stands out.

About the AC clutch pulley: I love the idea of eliminating it, and will give that a try. Can I just remove the entire pulley & bracket assembly, or do I need to remove the pulley and bolt the bracket back up to support the timing cover. It doesn't look easy to separate... I've already ordered a new serp. belt and tensioner and will give it a try without the pulley.

The old saying on CB5 was that these cars don't nickel and dime you to death, they $5 and $10 you to death. Mine sure does. Make sure you get the Meyle HD control arm kits and use the S4 outer TREs. Otherwise you will be just throwing suspension parts at it. Look up 1BE alignment specs, too. You want those, not the 1BA specs. Otherwise it will tramline badly. With the 1BE spec (less toe) it tramlines less.

PBC is that much better. Toxic as all get out, but that much better. I work for Loctite and I use PBC now. Lead butyl carbamate.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad had a little plastic vial of it that he treated like gold (it is gold-coloured). We could never figure out what it was, but it worked. A few years ago, I was out at my local tuner shop and the parts guy (who is a god walking this planet) showed it to me and tried to gift me a bottle. I foolishly said, no, I'll get one myself, don't spend money on me. $54 later at Nissan, I had one precious bottle of PBC grease, and the parts guys there were like "did Steve's send you? They buy cases of this stuff".

Personally, if the only reason Nissan Motor existed was to bring the world PBC grease, it would be worth it. It forgives an awful lot of Altimas.

Good advice on the control arms and tie rod ends, thanks! Any preferred source for these parts? I'm sure I'll be doing suspension before year end.

I'm not going to pretend to know what you mean about the alignment specs... I'll have to look into that when the time comes.

I looked up the price on that Nissan PBC, yeah that's not cheap!

Brake upgrade is butt simple. Calipers and pads are the same, you just order the big rotors. Look up TT brackets.

I knew when I got mine it was a gane changer. I can't get over how sleek it still looks. Perfect minimalism.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      I AM DISCO DIVA!

Congrats!

The early tails are the best.

Keep us updated!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Excellent. I'm in, always up for reading about a good adventure with a 90s Euros.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast