GX460 vs. Highlander: oui or non? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
      Looks like a classic case of having the car you need but not the car you want. I say pat yourself on the back for making a wise decision purchasing that Highlander then go buy the GX so you have something you/your wife actually want.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The GX is still a BOF SUV, and even though it's slightly cushy you'll still feel more of the road than a unibody Highlander.

It will definitely tow better, though I wouldn't push it past 6k lb of payload. 5k if you're in steep or mountain terrain.

I bet depreciation will be a wash if they are currently equivalent in value. Toyota has the name helping to reduce depreciation, while Lexus is still a semi-luxury brand which may get hit a little harder.

At the end of the day, the GX is effectively an upscale 4runner with a better drivetrain (A Prado and a Hilux Surf/4Runner are like half-siblings that look a bit different). If your wife doesn't like 4runners she probably won't like a GX, unless the V8 and upscale interior convince her otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      2010 GX460 owner here.

I would say it all depends on what you really want in a vehicle. The Highlander and the GX are actually quite different beasts. The Toyota is a highway car, built for on-road duty only, I haven't driven one in a long while but they are well built, quiet, and ride well.

If the GX is a premium package, it will have air ride. Mine has coils and it still rides remarkably well, though there are still occasions when you're be reminded this is a heavy, body-on-frame off-roader with a live axle out back. The occasional mid-corner bump will upset it just enough to notice. Not that it's harsh or truckish, but it's still difficult to overcome the physics of it all. Build quality is amazing. Mine is 10 years old with 120K miles and it doesn't squeak, it's very quiet despite being brick-shaped, and everything works. I enjoy driving it because it feels hewn from a solid billet. It is hard to explain to some enthusiasts who wonder how I could go from a sporty Mini to a Lexus and still enjoy the latter... but the quality of it all is what makes it feel special. Like a 4x4 version of my old W124. I think the GX is kind of a modern classic... or a cult classic anyway. As such, values are strong. They seem to be holding their value very well and great examples on the used market command a premium these days.

Compromises - it is not designed from the ground-up as a people carrier. The 3rd row seats are somewhat useless. It's tall, heavy, and has a thirst for premium fuel. Say bye-bye to your empeegees. The swing out rear door isn't for everyone - but I happen to love it as a quirk. It's my understanding that some of the leathers show wear quicker than others, but I don't know if that's been addressed on later models. Mine has the ecru interior (parchment) and it's in great shape. The electronics interface sucks but if you're coming from another Toyota product, you already knew that. Just be aware that upgrades are limited because of the interface with HVAC and other vehicle functions in the screen. But if it has premium sound, then the stereo is wonderful. Service and maintenance will cost more simply because it's a Lexus and there are a lot of over-engineered parts on there.

All in all, if you want to return to something with more capability like your 4Runner, I say go for the GX. If you're really all about highway comfort and every day practicality, then the Highlander is perhaps a better fit.
      Great info. Thanks!

The GX in question doesn't have the Levison stereo which is too bad. Our Highlander has the garbage Bose upgrades system. It's muddy, buzzes, and has nothing in the highs. Just so disappointing.
      It also doesn't have the air suspension which isn't a deal-breaker for me.

I've already got the dealer down to +/- $22000. Verbally. That means nothing, yet.

And a correction. It's a 2014, not 2015.

Here's the link: https://www.communitychevrolet.com/V...-PA/3573247953
      Last edited by x(why)z; 05-19-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Great info. Thanks!

The GX in question doesn't have the Levison stereo which is too bad. Our Highlander has the garbage Bose upgrades system. It's muddy, buzzes, and has nothing in the highs. Just so disappointing.
      It also doesn't have the air suspension which isn't a deal-breaker for me.

I've already got the dealer down to +/- $22000. Verbally. That means nothing, yet.

And a correction. It's a 2014, not 2015.

Mine is similar spec - no air suspension and no Levinson. Basically it's a "Base Model." I used that as a bargaining chip as people do pay good $$ for the premium. I don't really miss the Levinson, only because the factory audio in my clubman sucked big time, so anything is an improvement over that Sony Boom Box. So you might want to test the audio if you're serious about it - just to make sure you're happy.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      The GX is still a BOF SUV, and even though it's slightly cushy you'll still feel more of the road than a unibody Highlander.

It will definitely tow better, though I wouldn't push it past 6k lb of payload. 5k if you're in steep or mountain terrain.

I bet depreciation will be a wash if they are currently equivalent in value. Toyota has the name helping to reduce depreciation, while Lexus is still a semi-luxury brand which may get hit a little harder.

At the end of the day, the GX is effectively an upscale 4runner with a better drivetrain (A Prado and a Hilux Surf/4Runner are like half-siblings that look a bit different). If your wife doesn't like 4runners she probably won't like a GX, unless the V8 and upscale interior convince her otherwise.
      She just found the 4Runner to be too stiff when riding in the back. It made her a bit motion-sick. The Highlander does, too, but less so. 6k would be the absolute upper reaches. My e36 weight 3200lb and a car trailer is around 2000lb. That leaves a bit of a buffer. Still pushing it maybe. It would be occasional towing as in I'd like to tow the car to occasional events on the east coast from near north of Pittsburgh.

She just found the 4Runner to be too stiff when riding in the back. It made her a bit motion-sick. The Highlander does, too, but less so.
      Damn dude, you make your wife ride in the hatch?

She just found the 4Runner to be too stiff when riding in the back. It made her a bit motion-sick. The Highlander does, too, but less so. 6k would be the absolute upper reaches. My e36 weight 3200lb and a car trailer is around 2000lb. That leaves a bit of a buffer. Still pushing it maybe. It would be occasional towing as in I'd like to tow the car to occasional events on the east coast from near north of Pittsburgh.
      Sounds like a GX could work, get her in one and see what she thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Damn dude, you make your wife ride in the hatch?
      Third row. Gotta keep ones distance in these trying, unprecedented times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Sounds like a GX could work, get her in one and see what she thinks.
      Fingers crossed tomorrow!

So that GX doesnít have ventilated seats? Our 2010 base model does...

Thanks for the link and info! The one I'm looking at lacks air suspension. It's not that loaded, actually. It's a 2015 model, so getting up in years but has less than 70k on the clock. I'll know tomorrow. I appreciate your thoughts!
      no problem, mine is a 2015 with around 62k on it (red one in the offroad video). the only thing that's actually broken in the car's entire dealer serviced history is a tab on a cupholder. the 2015 gets you the facelift (which is a bit polarizing), but be aware if you're going hardcore off road, the approach angle isn't great on the nose with the new fascia.

if you do a GX, go to a more aggressive tire, it may touch your MPGs a bit, but it looks so much better.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

GX460 vs. Highlander: oui or non?

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I was looking at the 460s yesterday and looked at forums of arguments over using premium vs regular gas on this rig.

Was turned off.

It is the same motor as ones used in the Tundra, yet it requires premium?
      Is this a conspiracy?(like how In 2012 the RX and ES can suddenly use regular gas with zero changes?)
      They can run on 87 with zero negative effects.

Tons of owners in the groups use 87 and none of them have ever reported it causing an issue.
      Heck i even ran my GX460 down the track, with regular gas, and beat the "factory times".

Clearly the motor doesn't care about the fuel.

Build quality is amazing. Mine is 10 years old with 120K miles and it doesn't squeak, it's very quiet despite being brick-shaped, and everything works. I enjoy driving it because it feels hewn from a solid billet. It is hard to explain to some enthusiasts who wonder how I could go from a sporty Mini to a Lexus and still enjoy the latter... but the quality of it all is what makes it feel special. Like a 4x4 version of my old W124. I think the GX is kind of a modern classic... or a cult classic anyway. As such, values are strong. They seem to be holding their value very well and great examples on the used market command a premium these days.

Compromises - it is not designed from the ground-up as a people carrier. The 3rd row seats are somewhat useless. It's tall, heavy, and has a thirst for premium fuel. Say bye-bye to your empeegees. The swing out rear door isn't for everyone - but I happen to love it as a quirk. It's my understanding that some of the leathers show wear quicker than others, but I don't know if that's been addressed on later models. Mine has the ecru interior (parchment) and it's in great shape. The electronics interface sucks but if you're coming from another Toyota product, you already knew that. Just be aware that upgrades are limited because of the interface with HVAC and other vehicle functions in the screen. But if it has premium sound, then the stereo is wonderful. Service and maintenance will cost more simply because it's a Lexus and there are a lot of over-engineered parts on there.

All in all, if you want to return to something with more capability like your 4Runner, I say go for the GX. If you're really all about highway comfort and every day practicality, then the Highlander is perhaps a better fit.

I have to agree this thing feels absolutely SOLID.
      Heck i used to own a Suburban, and the GX feels like it could drive through it.

I have 146k miles and it's literally flawless. Nothing goes wrong. It has its compromises because this is a Land Cruiser Prado, it was NOT designed for America, it was just accommodated for it.

I have to disagree with the fuel mileage though...
      I use cheap 87 octane and get 20mpg while going 80mph, and my average is 18.5mpg combined, as an aggressive driver. I am very impressed that it can do that with permanent 4WD and a V8.
      Last edited by Ilikewaffles; 05-19-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Looks like a classic case of having the car you need but not the car you want. I say pat yourself on the back for making a wise decision purchasing that Highlander then go buy the GX so you have something you/your wife actually want.
      I don't think I responded to this, but yeah, I should just do that. With my lovely wife's approval, of course.

I don't think I responded to this, but yeah, I should just do that. With my lovely wife's approval, of course.
      You have to sell it as to WHY it makes her life better.

That's how I got the TV in the house, I told her think about all the shows shes likes in 4k!

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Having spent a miserable Sunday driving my Jeep through a pouring rainstorm on a long highway road trip, I more and more think a used GX is the right vehicle for me.

Iíve changed my mind 8 zillion times and will continue to do so, but right now itís my current automotive crush. Looks like they are mid-$30s with <50k miles from Carmax, and since basically they donít change from year to year, that seems like a good place to be.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

I have an RX350L and a GX460. The RX is a closer proxy to the Highlander - which is, they are pretty stellar at doing all your daily activities fairly well and not causing a fuss. I also consider them a little dull. Now while the GX is a bit of a boat, and as archaic as it is i am completely enamored with it. It is rugged, highly capable, bulletproof and my God the V8/6 speed combo is so much better than the V6/5 speed of the 4Runner. We will be keeping GX indefinitely and while the RX has served us well, we'll be moving on to something different there.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Having spent a miserable Sunday driving my Jeep through a pouring rainstorm on a long highway road trip, I more and more think a used GX is the right vehicle for me.

Iíve changed my mind 8 zillion times and will continue to do so, but right now itís my current automotive crush. Looks like they are mid-$30s with <50k miles from Carmax, and since basically they donít change from year to year, that seems like a good place to be.
      I spent a few days in a rented Wrangler recently (decent spec, not a stripped out base model) and the two are in different leagues. Sure, the Jeep is more capable out of the box, but the Lexus has good aftermarket support if you want to do more than soft-roading, and the platform is SO overbuilt. I gave the Jeep back after a few days of driving around Houston and thought - why would anyone buy one of these??

No offense meant, of course. But seriously, if you want all the potential capability in something that doesn't beat you to hell, it's hard to beat a GX for the money. It's amazing how popular they've suddenly become after so many years in the shadows.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      I spent a few days in a rented Wrangler recently (decent spec, not a stripped out base model) and the two are in different leagues. Sure, the Jeep is more capable out of the box, but the Lexus has good aftermarket support if you want to do more than soft-roading, and the platform is SO overbuilt. I gave the Jeep back after a few days of driving around Houston and thought - why would anyone buy one of these??

No offense meant, of course. But seriously, if you want all the potential capability in something that doesn't beat you to hell, it's hard to beat a GX for the money. It's amazing how popular they've suddenly become after so many years in the shadows.
      I bought it because top goes down and doors come off and thatís fun.

I think for me personally, Iíve always shied away from the GX because of the outdated interior and infotainment, but frankly, for a lot of cars, especially Lexus, newer isnít better. None of the Japanese can do infotainment well for some reason, and Iíll take an old touch screen over the new garbage interfaces Acura and Lexus are putting in their cars and SUVs. Plus now theyíre plentiful and cheap(ish); at $60k new thatís crazy talk, but when you can buy them 5 years old for ~half with lowing miles and being confident theyíll do 200k miles easy thatís a different story.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

I think for me personally, Iíve always shied away from the GX because of the outdated interior and infotainment,
      Just get an aftermarket system with Carplay or AA and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikepea View Post
      So that GX doesnít have ventilated seats? Our 2010 base model does...
      My 2019 GX Premium has heated/cooled fronts and heated rears. Not sure if they nixed that feature in the 2020 update or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by CSRPenFab View Post
      My 2019 GX Premium has heated/cooled fronts and heated rears. Not sure if they nixed that feature in the 2020 update or not though.

Same with ours. heated/cooled fronts and heated recline-able 2nd row.

Quote Originally Posted by CSRPenFab View Post
      2011 Premium here

Heated/Cooled front, heated rear, and also heated steering wheel.

My wife and I looked hard at these back in March, and they are definitely solid. Be aware of the swinging gate at the back, which might be a problem if you have a small garage or tight space. Also, with the third row up, there is basically zero room for cargo.

We ended up with a Yukon given the 0% for 84 months, but probably would have gotten a GX if that deal hadn't come along.

Stack, you know we've occasionally overlapped in car choices and share the s2000. can't talk you out of the GX at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

We have both.

My wife has the Highlander, (w/40k kms) I have a Prado (w/ 225k kms on it). Wife admits that she likes driving the Prado more, feels far more solid, comfortable and less skittish on the road).

Go the GX,you wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      You have to sell it as to WHY it makes her life better.

That's how I got the TV in the house, I told her think about all the shows shes likes in 4k!
      Sounds like a reasonable strategy. I don't know what my angle will be yet, but I've got three hours to figure it out.

I change my mind about one every four days. I know I really like something when I come back to it years later, and that's what has happened with the GX.

When I was in Dubai a few years ago, I had a driver for a few days and he drove a Prado LC. It was hilariously fun to roll through the desert in that thing. It just felt unstoppable. Anyway, in the case of my M3, it was the car in the back of my head as the one that really got me into cars, so I bought it. The LC feels similar insomuch as I have had many interests in a vehicle capable of towing from 90s full-size trucks, to older LCs, to a newer Suburban. The Prado just sticks out in my mind as everything I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
      I have an RX350L and a GX460. The RX is a closer proxy to the Highlander - which is, they are pretty stellar at doing all your daily activities fairly well and not causing a fuss. I also consider them a little dull. Now while the GX is a bit of a boat, and as archaic as it is i am completely enamored with it. It is rugged, highly capable, bulletproof and my God the V8/6 speed combo is so much better than the V6/5 speed of the 4Runner. We will be keeping GX indefinitely and while the RX has served us well, we'll be moving on to something different there.
      Simialr experience to us. My wife is indifferent towards the Highlander. It's an amazing car in so many ways, but it just leaves me, and her to a degree, cold.

I had an old Wrangler, and have toyed with newer ones. They aren't for me. Maybe as a third or fourth vehicle, but not a semi-daily driver. I say semi-daily as we really don't drive anywhere near every day.

I think for me personally, Iíve always shied away from the GX because of the outdated interior and infotainment, but frankly, for a lot of cars, especially Lexus, newer isnít better. None of the Japanese can do infotainment well for some reason, and Iíll take an old touch screen over the new garbage interfaces Acura and Lexus are putting in their cars and SUVs. Plus now theyíre plentiful and cheap(ish); at $60k new thatís crazy talk, but when you can buy them 5 years old for ~half with lowing miles and being confident theyíll do 200k miles easy thatís a different story.
      I'm so used to the Toyota infotainment, I don't even care. My wife doesn't give a dang about infotainment as long as she has NPR and BBC on SiriusXM, she's more than content.

Quote Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
      My wife and I looked hard at these back in March, and they are definitely solid. Be aware of the swinging gate at the back, which might be a problem if you have a small garage or tight space. Also, with the third row up, there is basically zero room for cargo.

We ended up with a Yukon given the 0% for 84 months, but probably would have gotten a GX if that deal hadn't come along.
      Our garage is small, but we never park the utilitarian cars in it anyway. Just motorcycles and my old BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      Stack, you know we've occasionally overlapped in car choices and share the s2000. can't talk you out of the GX at all.
      If I buy one, I'll have the dollar-store version of your garage. haha

Quote Originally Posted by MVZOOM View Post
      We have both.

My wife has the Highlander, (w/40k kms) I have a Prado (w/ 225k kms on it). Wife admits that she likes driving the Prado more, feels far more solid, comfortable and less skittish on the road).

Go the GX,you wont regret it.
      I'm checking it out at 10:30! Stoked to see it. Even if this isn't the one, I think it will send me down the path of finding just the right one.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast