Anyone recently sold a vehicle via Carvana/Vroom/Shift/Carmax? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      I haven't but it got me thinking. Not in the market to sell but I was just curious so I did got offers from Carvana, KBB and Vroom.

Car is a 17 GTI SE DSG with leather. Bone stock with just under 19k miles on it. And I'm located in Michigan.

Carvana $18,546
      Vroom $18,022
      KBB WAY LOWER $15,343

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post
      Just sold to CarMax. 2015 Focus. Local dealers offered between $3,400 and $4,000. CarMax offered $5,000. Carvana offered $5,500 but I would have had to drive 100+ miles to be in their pick-up radius, then find a way home. CarMax selling process was like a well-oiled machine. Super fast and easy.

Could have dicked-around with a private party sale for the next couple months and maybe got $6,000. Not worth it at all.
      Jesus, $3-$5k for a 5 year old car? Is it a 200k mile beater? Even a Focus I'd expect to do better than that.

I’ve sold a few nearly-fully-depreciated cars to CarMax and they always offered me more than I expected. They were always fully paid off and never close to worth $40k though.

I traded in my Wrangler to Vroom in the fall - fantastic experience and more than I should have gotten for it.

I also just sent an offer request to them for the Trailcock just to see what they'd offer, again, more than anyone else had offered me.

I just don't have a replacement vehicle lined up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Jesus, $3-$5k for a 5 year old car? Is it a 200k mile beater? Even a Focus I'd expect to do better than that.
      87,000 miles and nearly-bald tires. Otherwise very good condition.

The dealers with the two lowest offers told me straight-up that because it was a manual transmission it would probably sit around for a long time, so they wouldn’t offer much because it was too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post
      87,000 miles and nearly-bald tires. Otherwise very good condition.

The dealers with the two lowest offers told me straight-up that because it was a manual transmission it would probably sit around for a long time, so they wouldn’t offer much because it was too risky.
      Ah, a bit high on the mileage for a 2015 but not terrible...the manuel makes sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Ah, a bit high on the mileage for a 2015 but not terrible...the manuel makes sense though.
      Now with a PowerShift for the automatic option.

Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
      I haven't but it got me thinking. Not in the market to sell but I was just curious so I did got offers from Carvana, KBB and Vroom.

Car is a 17 GTI SE DSG with leather. Bone stock with just under 19k miles on it. And I'm located in Michigan.

Carvana $18,546
      Vroom $18,022
      KBB WAY LOWER $15,343
      Interesting. My 2017 S DSG with 46k came back from Carvana at $14.7 in Illinois.

I paid $22k + tax...a lease would have been more expensive to this point.

The problem remains: I don't know what I'd replace it with.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

I recently sold my M2 to Carmax. I had the car for only 1 year so I knew I was going to have some negative equity to start.

Carmax offered- $39k
      Ford- $36.5k (they told me some BS about how they would've offered more but declined later)
      Carvana- $36.1k

Obviously I sold it to Carmax. Even the appraiser was surprised at the offer after he gave me "guess-timate" of $36k.

I also sold my Fiesta ST to them. They offered $10.5k which helped pay off the remaining loan and I went home with a little over $4k in my pocket.
      Last edited by bombardi; 06-23-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bombardi View Post
      I recently sold my M2 to Carmax. I had the car for only 1 year so I knew I was going to have some negative equity to start.

Carmax offered- $39k
      Ford- $36.5k (they told me some BS about how they would've offered more but declined later)
      Carvana- $36.1k

Obviously I sold it to Carmax. Even the appraiser was surprised at the offer after he gave me "guess-timate" of $36k.

I also sold my Fiesta ST to them. They offered $10.5k which helped pay off the remaining loan and I went home with a little over $4k in my pocket.
      Any reason why you didn't give Vroom or Shift a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Branch View Post
      Any reason why you didn't give Vroom or Shift a shot?
      Honestly I was short on time and just assumed carmax was the best offer considering they offered well over the other two quotes. I was expecting Carvana to come closer or offer better but that failed, so I didn't bother with Vroom or Shift.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hotcarlweathers View Post
      interesting. My 2017 s dsg with 46k came back from carvana at $14.7 in illinois.

I paid $22k + tax...a lease would have been more expensive to this point.

The problem remains: I don't know what i'd replace it with.
      a 2020?

I accepted Carvanas offer of 15.6 for my ‘14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 w 80.5k. It was 2k higher than when I checked in may. And about 3500 above Carmax/TMV. Doing the pickup 7/11
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      12 MB E350 4Matic 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: WK2 Hemi, 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      a 2020?
      Heh. It's the same car!

I'm all over the place. Maybe a truck. Maybe a Ridgeline. Holding tight for at least a few more weeks until I see how the Bronco (and pricing) shakes out.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      Heh. It's the same car!

I'm all over the place. Maybe a truck. Maybe a Ridgeline. Holding tight for at least a few more weeks until I see how the Bronco (and pricing) shakes out.
      Lol yup. Unless you want an R there's no obvious upgrade path for these cars unfortunately. I considered relentlessly what to replace my '17 GTI with, and while I absolutely love the 982, there's still plenty of things I miss about the GTI. It's the enthusiasts Goldilocks' choice IMHO.

Edit: Oh, and they do seem to hold value much better than previous VWs I've had. I traded mine after like 1.5 years with about 20k; not even a full lease term and still ate less than what equivalent lease payments would've been. Buying during diesel gate helped.
      Last edited by ghost03; 06-23-2020 at 08:17 PM.

our lease maturity of our Atlas is coming up in 6 months, just did an appraisal through carvana and they had the biggest offer, $26k, our payoff is $28k ... vroom was $23k, local dealerships $25k highest ... we're getting a van again per mrs wishes.

I'll check carmax next week to see how they compare.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

I owe $9k on the 'Rolla and just checked -- Carvana will buy it for $11,500.

It's kind of temping because the $2500 of neg equity I rolled into it when I dumped our disastrous Mitsubishi experiment seems to have been more than erased, even though I did 0%/72 and haven't made any extra payments. But I think we are just going to pay it off by the end of the year and then have no car payments for a few years due to corona concerns and potential relocation/life upgrades.
      Last edited by adrew; 06-23-2020 at 11:46 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Less than two weeks ago we went ahead and sold wife's 2017 GTI S DSG 19k miles to Carmax for $19k, deliberating for a few days after the initial appraisal. The appraisal was the quickest ever. The guy didn't even touch anything or get in the car. He just peeked in through the driver's side door, gave a quick glance at the engine bay, and wrote us up an offer we couldn't refuse. A few local dealers offered $13k, $13.8k, and $15k as part of trade-in.
      I took another look at the appraisal the other day and noticed it said Autobahn on there

Best part, we bought it brand new in early 2018 for... $19k
      Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Supercar, f*ck kids.

The only whine I like to hear comes from superchargers and straight cut gears.

Reading this thread got me interested so I was curious to see what offers for my 2016 Focus ST (ST1 package) with 88k miles was.

Carvana was 10,900
      Vroom was 9500ish
      Shift was 8600.

Didn't do carmax since they wanted me to come in but damn, would definitely do carvana it looks like.
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      You're not a real Palo Alto resident unless you have a Hybrid and a German Car in your Driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Lol yup. Unless you want an R there's no obvious upgrade path for these cars unfortunately. I considered relentlessly what to replace my '17 GTI with, and while I absolutely love the 982, there's still plenty of things I miss about the GTI. It's the enthusiasts Goldilocks' choice IMHO.

Edit: Oh, and they do seem to hold value much better than previous VWs I've had. I traded mine after like 1.5 years with about 20k; not even a full lease term and still ate less than what equivalent lease payments would've been. Buying during diesel gate helped.
      You hit the nail on the head: I love the GTI as an all-around DD because it does everything well (and the DSG makes it a great compromise car with the wife ) and my pragmatic enthusiast side is just all about finding and staying in that Goldilocks zone.

So it's a tough choice because I love it. But I could use a little more room. I'm kinda sick of bending wheels. It's quick, but it's not fast. I never drive it at its limits because I live in Chicago, and I'm not gonna track my DD. It has your typical VW problems. It gets dirty and I feel bad when I use it as basecamp for bike races. I don't want to own it with 90k miles on it.

It does most everything so well that it's killed my desire to upgrade, really. There's nothing in the $30-50k zone that checks the boxes nor piques my curiosity enough to spend the dough to move up.

TLDR: I'm torn bruh. Maybe I'll hang a hard left and get a Ranger.

I've priced my car ('16 QX50 w/33k) through Carvana a few times now, and over the past 6 months or so, it's dropped from around $18,500 to the current $16,993. I paid $21k or something back in November '19. Not great, but not bad for a somewhat questionable car from a company with an equally questionable future.

I am a bit surprised by the low offer for our 33k mile '18 Rav4 Hybrid LE though. We paid $23k for it new, and the offer: $14,025. Really? Where's that hybrid Toyota resale? Based on what I've seen, it should sell for low-20s, which is quite the markup compared to the Infiniti (lists for $19-$21k).

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      I am a bit surprised by the low offer for our 33k mile '18 Rav4 Hybrid LE though. We paid $23k for it new, and the offer: $14,025. Really? Where's that hybrid Toyota resale? Based on what I've seen, it should sell for low-20s, which is quite the markup compared to the Infiniti (lists for $19-$21k).
      Yeah, that seems low (esp if they'll do $11,500 for our '17 Corolla). But wasn't it in a fender bender? I bet that is killing the value (either if you disclosed it or if they pulled the Carfax).
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Yeah, that seems low (esp if they'll do $11,500 for our '17 Corolla). But wasn't it in a fender bender? I bet that is killing the value (either if you disclosed it or if they pulled the Carfax).
      Deer bender, but yeah. Minor damage (bumper cover, headlight). Just for ****s, I ran another 2018 LE, and it came back at $19,507. That's a crazy difference. I re-ran ours on Carvana, and the -$1700 for the accident seems normal, but a crazy -$2,000 "market adjustment" is weird (which I guess also applies to the other one). $17,700 before the accident and market adjustments, which is odd, since the other VIN I ran was also a 2018 LE. Oh well. Not selling it for a while anyway.

well, local dealership offered $26k, I countered with $26,500 and they agreed. Atlas is going bye bye next Wednesday and we pick up the Odyssey on Friday.

the funny thing is that you can't find one like ours cheaper than 31,500 yet kbb and nada are pricing it in the low 23-24s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

I have not received a check for my positive equity yet but my car is already up for sale on Vroom with a $47,230 asking (https://www.vroom.com/inventory/merc...0J6EB9JF377610), they bought me out at $41.5k. Fedex tracking # indicates check be delivered on Monday. I accepted their offer online on 5/27, a month to complete a transaction that could be done at CarMax in 1 day is not acceptable and cost me another month's payment.

My co-worker sold his LX570 to them a week after me but he got his $ a lot sooner due to the vehicle being paid off. They gave him $59k and change and it's being advertised for $67,180: https://www.vroom.com/inventory/lexu...HY7AX4J4267049
      Last edited by 4th Branch; 06-28-2020 at 03:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast